Help! Need quick fix for alternator pigtail

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Oh oh...
Does anybody know a way to fenagle a short term solution to this problem? My alternator harness is severed and I don't have enough wire to splice it.

'03 ALH Wagon, primary transportation.
The nearest VW dealer is an hour away and work still has to happen all week.

Apologies for the large image...
We must have a pack rat in the neighborhood with a palette for alternator wires, because this is the second time in 2014 that I've spliced these. You can see where the little bastard nicked the other wire on the pigtail.
Sure appreciate suggestions!

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
So the common (worthless) butt connectors would never have worked for this, but I picked up some waterproof butt connectors (with shrink tube and adhesive) which shrunk down just enough to slip into the pigtail (Yep, the pins had to come out using the ol' paperclip trick).
Again with the big image. Sorry. :eek:
Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited:

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
FYI ... the alternator will charge with this unplugged ... it may require a blip of the throttle....the alt light will be blazing and it will set a an alt load signal "df" code but you'll still be pushing electrons ;)

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Thanks for taking the time Jimbote. Sun's coming up and I'll be out in the driveway fixing the harness in a little bit. Looks like I should keep an open mind for other causes today.
Funny thing: There never was an alt (or battery) light and the Volt meter just continued to drop without regard for engine speed. CEL's been on for an known/unrelated issue so I'll check codes too.

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Wires spliced and hopefully made somewhat less tempting to rodents with corrugated plastic tubing and gaffer's tape.

FYI ... the alternator will charge with this unplugged...the alt light will be blazing and it will set a an alt load signal "df" code but you'll still be pushing electrons ;)
Alternator is charging again with no other action taken.:confused:

Electrical has never been one of my strengths so I'm interested in what might cause this anomaly? I realize it could mean the presence of another problem.