HELP! Need any tallow/animal fat info & more

AZBioDsl

TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI
hey guys i need as much information any of you might have in regards to using purely animal fat in a reaction or only tallow in the reaction. Or should i just say tallow as the form of animal fat, therefore melted tallow in a reaction?

Also any information concerning a reaction with mixed feedstock, for example wvo mixed with tallow (animal fat), or svo mixed with tallow. What kinds of changes in a reaction comes about using animal fat in terms of catalyst amount, reaction time, blending feedstock, heating feedstock, byproduct formation, titration calculations, & things to look out for.

a standard reaction for me is using WVO, methanol, and KOH. Ive never used animal fat and need any experiences you guys have had with it or sites/reading material on the internet you may have found, THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!

PS if any of you have experience or know of sites on the net dealing with ACID esterification using sulfuric acid please let me know thanks again!!!

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
biodiesel.infopop.cc has that info

iirc, there is an Australian w/lots of tallow exp.

AZBioDsl

TDI
2002 Jetta GL TDI
name or site of australian?

ive just recently titrated 100% pure rendered tallow, which is tricky cuz it solidifies quickly, so you got to do it on a hot plate. came out to about 9.5% ffa. so like 6.5 g NaOH per liter.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
AZBioDsl said:
hey guys i need as much information any of you might have in regards to using purely animal fat in a reaction or only tallow in the reaction. Or should i just say tallow as the form of animal fat, therefore melted tallow in a reaction?

Also any information concerning a reaction with mixed feedstock, for example wvo mixed with tallow (animal fat), or svo mixed with tallow. What kinds of changes in a reaction comes about using animal fat in terms of catalyst amount, reaction time, blending feedstock, heating feedstock, byproduct formation, titration calculations, & things to look out for.

a standard reaction for me is using WVO, methanol, and KOH. Ive never used animal fat and need any experiences you guys have had with it or sites/reading material on the internet you may have found, THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!

PS if any of you have experience or know of sites on the net dealing with ACID esterification using sulfuric acid please let me know thanks again!!!
<My friend Jeff processes 5,000-10,000 of biodiesel/month from chicken fat. One thing he says is it is a more sensitive to water in the acid-catalyzed pre-treatment (converting FFA's to FAME's). That makes sense to me since it's more viscous than vegetable based VO--the water will stay suspended as emulsion longer.

He has had amazing results by steam-stripping the FFA's and other contaminants out of the fat prior to processing. The steam stripper smells horrible though as the FFA's and contaminants are incredibly stinky when concentrated.

RI_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 B5.5v, '89 DOKA Syncro
vwrobert51 said:
WOW! did every one run away ,or did i hit a nerve
No, thread was done. Guy asked question, got answer. BTW - Pita is bread, PITA is pain in the 'backside'. PETA is the group working for animal rights who sometimes use their cause as an excuse to play '60's radical and 'fight the man'. Sometimes they are jokingly referred to as People Eating Tasty Animals.

validius

Lacking in ZDDP
TDI
1997 GTI TDI

BioDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
"linking to other forums is tacky."

Forget to read the original post?
Grease monkey know tallow?

Just shepherding the strays.