HELP - multiple lights out at once. 9 error msgs

TDI_Dad

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I have a 2010 Jetta TDI with 105K miles.

This morning the bulb indicator light lit up with 9 "check" messages in the MFD.

Check right back up light
Check left front side light
Check number plate license plate lighting
check front light hi beam
check third brake light
check your left brake light
check rear left turn signal
check front right turn signal
check front right low beam

The lights were actually not working. When engaging the turn signal I would get the short blinking of the turn signal, indicating a bad turn signal bulb.

I checked every fuse in the car, not just the ones associated with the light system, and did not find any blown fuses.

I stopped by a local parts store and replaced the front right headlight bulb. When I turned the lights on the headlight worked. I was not looking at the other lights at that moment. I turned the car off and on again. This time the front light was not working again. I checked the other lights mentioned above and they were not working.

I drove home and began searching the web for anyone having a similar issue. I did not find any information related to an issue like mine. Within an hour of being home I went back out to my car to better document the issue and all the lights is working fine and there are no error messages in the MFD.

There have been only two issues with this car. The first was about three months ago I had to replace the RCV valve in the A/C compressor. About two months ago I replaced the battery. Otherwise, the car has been great. The mechanic who did the RVC replacement did take the compressor out of the car to do the work. I don't think there would be anything related between A/C and the lights, but thought I would give as much information as possible about the car.

I have made some VAGCOM modifications. Turned off the DRLs, turned off the seat belt chime, remote windows, Bluetooth phone-book in the MFD. Note that these mods were made three years ago, so i doubt they have any relation to the current issue with the lights.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

crash2365

TDI
'00 Jetta TDI
There is a similar issue in the Tiguans related to a melted fuse in box B (underhood). The fuse will not be blown, but the fuse box itself will be melted, causing an open circuit. Either way it sounds like a power supply issue to the Central Electronics module.

TDI_Dad

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
There is a similar issue in the Tiguans related to a melted fuse in box B (underhood). The fuse will not be blown, but the fuse box itself will be melted, causing an open circuit. Either way it sounds like a power supply issue to the Central Electronics module.

Thanks for the tip. I did a search for VW Jetta Central Electronics Module and came across this thread Is my J519 bad? It seams to have information related to my issue. I will report back.

NashWagen

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
any updates

I have a 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and have encountered the same (or similar) issue. A couple of warning lights that came and went over a month and then 12 warning/indicators - ranging from Check Front Right Low Beam to Check Right Back Up Light and License Plate light.

The dealer of course wants a diagnostic charge, etc, etc.

I was curious if replacing the Power Supply Relay (J317) did the trick.

Many thanks!

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
For the Jetta its VW campaign AM97. the fuse-relay box under the hood next to the battery. fuse f16. green 30 amp furthest back in the box. pull it out and see if it has evidence of arcing or melting. free replacement of the fusebox plate.

gearless

TDI
2011 Golf
This is exactly my problem

I had the same issue here with my 2011 Golf. Within about two days I had 11 warnings pop up and many lights were out or working intermittently. The dealer told me they could change the bulbs during my regular service. I'm not much of a car person but it doesn't take a lot of common sense to think it's unlikely that so many bulbs would go out at once.

Turns out the 30A fuse under the hood was the issue. There is melted plastic around the contacts on both the fuse and the housing. When I reseated the fuse after taking some pictures all the lights started working again and the warnings on the dash went away. Doubt it will last for long but it's good to know the issue.

Photos here: http://imgur.com/a/qvoavpG

g8brett

TDI
Easy fix

I had this happen as well. As noted here, the 30A fuse was not blown, but had gunk on it and the fuse receptacle on the passenger side was blackened. The fix is to remove all the fuses (take a picture so you can put them back). Remove all torx screws in the bottom of the fuse box (6 small and the big center one). Gently pry up and remove the plastic cover. Using a flat screw driver, gently pry off the offending fuse receptacle and replace it with an unused one. Put everything back. If this happens again, I’m going to solder the receptacle to the post.

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI
This just happened to me in my 2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI. 12 warning prompts, and all sorts of random lights out (passenger low beam, passenger high beam, passenger front blinker, passenger taillight, passenger brake light, driver rear blinker). I called the dealership to get a fuse diagram, which is apparently impossible to get for this year and model. :rolleyes: I then inspected all the fuses in the engine bay fuse box and didn't see anything wrong with any of them. I removed the large 30amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box and switched the car on after reading this thread and all the OPPOSITE lights went out while the previous malfunctioning lights began working. I put the 30a fuse back in and all lights started working and the warning prompts cleared . I didn't notice any signs of melting, and I made sure all fuses were seated properly prior to removing the fuse. I'll update if the issue returns.

TDI
This is exactly my problem

I had the same issue here with my 2011 Golf. Within about two days I had 11 warnings pop up and many lights were out or working intermittently. The dealer told me they could change the bulbs during my regular service. I'm not much of a car person but it doesn't take a lot of common sense to think it's unlikely that so many bulbs would go out at once.

Turns out the 30A fuse under the hood was the issue. There is melted plastic around the contacts on both the fuse and the housing. When I reseated the fuse after taking some pictures all the lights started working again and the warnings on the dash went away. Doubt it will last for long but it's good to know the issue.

Photos here:
Well, my issue is back and I've now found the same melted plastic around the contacts of the fuse and housing at position f16. I intend to replace the fuse box with a used one from ebay, and will also install the "upgraded fuse" from service campaign 97am. I'll update again if the issue returns.

Jrt

TDI
2010 Jetta
Well, my issue is back and I've now found the same melted plastic around the contacts of the fuse and housing at position f16. I intend to replace the fuse box with a used one from ebay, and will also install the "upgraded fuse" from service campaign 97am. I'll update again if the issue returns.
Hi, just got the same problem with my 2010 Jetta.I also have air bag and brake error I have checked the fuse but no sign of being burnt. Did the new fuse box fix it.

TDI
Hi, just got the same problem with my 2010 Jetta.I also have air bag and brake error I have checked the fuse but no sign of being burnt. Did the new fuse box fix it.
I purchased the fuse box but never ended up installing it. The "upgraded" fuse seems to be working without issue for now.