Help me with trans improvements

CountryBoy19

TDI
03 Jetta 5-spd
Take it easy, I'm a new TDI owner and the search function and numerous results are a bit overwhelming at the moment.

I have a TDI that was previously owned by 2 seemingly intelligent TDI owners that took good care of it. However it sat in a garage nearly unused for the last 3 years because the previous owner really didn't want to part with it when he upgraded (I don't blame him). I was told the shift bushings were out, and they probably are worn, but the bigger problem is the the pivot thing on the trans that the side-to-side cable hooks to is very, very tight in the hole and is preventing 5th gear and making it difficult to shift. I watched a diesel geek video that mentioned corrosion in the hole. I started removing it but it's so tight it broke in the process. My current plan is to get the bushing kit and the repair kit to fix this from diesel geek. Is that a good plan?

Is there anything else I need to do while working on the trans and shift linkage?

I know this section is for non-engine related upgrades, but I also don't want to start a bunch of newb threads. The engine is high mileage and will be getting a new timing belt and water pump before I put it on the road. It has already had the egr delete, has a block heater added, and a few other minor things but is mostly stock. I may eventually put a mild tune on it but for now, is there anything that is highly recommended for the engine?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
There is a bearing in that shift tower that can get rusty from no use or a bad seal, and will cause hard/crunchy movement of the shifter. May be a good idea to replace that as well.

I would also drain the intercooler if its a higher mileage car. Not worth accidentally sucking up a pool of oil if there's any that has been accumulating.

CountryBoy19

TDI
03 Jetta 5-spd
There is a bearing in that shift tower that can get rusty from no use or a bad seal, and will cause hard/crunchy movement of the shifter. May be a good idea to replace that as well.
The bearing currently feels fine, with the side-to-side bell crank disconnected everything shifts smoothly with the handle on top of the trans. Are you still recommending replacement?

Also, it appears I was mistaken, I cannot find a bell crank repair on dieselgeek, just a short shifter kit. Not sure I want the short shifter, I'm hoping to teach my wife and kids to drive this car eventually and I feel the short shifter may make it harder for them to discern which gear they're in. I can probably clean up and weld the OE bell crank. Is there a better aftermarket one available somewhere else?

I would also drain the intercooler if its a higher mileage car. Not worth accidentally sucking up a pool of oil if there's any that has been accumulating.
I will do that, thanks!

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Welcome.

What year/model?

Funny how manual transmissions are the great unknown anymore. This gets alot of attention.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
In his sig it says 03 jetta 5spd.

The bearing currently feels fine, with the side-to-side bell crank disconnected everything shifts smoothly with the handle on top of the trans. Are you still recommending replacement?

Also, it appears I was mistaken, I cannot find a bell crank repair on dieselgeek, just a short shifter kit. Not sure I want the short shifter, I'm hoping to teach my wife and kids to drive this car eventually and I feel the short shifter may make it harder for them to discern which gear they're in. I can probably clean up and weld the OE bell crank. Is there a better aftermarket one available somewhere else?
If it feels fine shifting in the car then I wouldn't worry about it personally. Easily replaceable if it becomes a problem later down the road.

Do you have a parts yard around you? You could go grab a used one from there. Any mk4 golf/jetta/bug one will fit the same.
I guess I'm not totally understanding what exactly broke (I think I do but not totally sure), but if it's not fixable it should be easily replaceable.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Also. I'm pretty sure that the DG short shifter only reduces front/back glide, I don't think it does any or much side to side reduction. You can probably check their site to be sure though. I had looked into one of those a couple years ago, and I think that what I remember which is part of the reason I didn't go for it, but for your situation it may be what you want.

CountryBoy19

TDI
03 Jetta 5-spd
In his sig it says 03 jetta 5spd.

If it feels fine shifting in the car then I wouldn't worry about it personally. Easily replaceable if it becomes a problem later down the road.

Do you have a parts yard around you? You could go grab a used one from there. Any mk4 golf/jetta/bug one will fit the same.
I guess I'm not totally understanding what exactly broke (I think I do but not totally sure), but if it's not fixable it should be easily replaceable.
Pic shamelessly stolen from dieselgeek. It's not the plastic their arrow is pointing to but th metal pin/arm piece the plastic is clipped on (shift cable attaches to the other arm). The pin now turns free in the arm. I'm going to try welding the arm to the pin first.

I haven't yet found a parts yard with many VWs yet. I have a great yard I usually deal with but they're all domestic.

Welcome.

What year/model?

Funny how manual transmissions are the great unknown anymore. This gets alot of attention.
Haha, I'm actually a millennial but I'm right at the early years of the generation and I'm a good ol' farm boy. I've been driving manuals since about 7 or 8 years old, been driving them on the road since I was about 12.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not sure I want the short shifter, I'm hoping to teach my wife and kids to drive this car eventually and I feel the short shifter may make it harder for them to discern which gear they're in.
Been there, I would not get the DG short shifter. It does reduce side-to-side motion and makes it hard for anyone unfamiliar with the car to differentiate between 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Once you know it the shifter is great, but it's hard for new drivers. And the motion is quite notchy.

The stock shifter in good operating condition, along with the torque of a diesel, makes these cars very easy for a newbie to drive.

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Been there, I would not get the DG short shifter. It does reduce side-to-side motion and makes it hard for anyone unfamiliar with the car to differentiate between 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Once you know it the shifter is great, but it's hard for new drivers. And the motion is quite notchy.

The stock shifter in good operating condition, along with the torque of a diesel, makes these cars very easy for a newbie to drive.
We may deal with the trans on my friend's incoming 2003 Jetta TDI project. 4th and 5th gear shifts hard intermittently. My friend is considering GD short shifter. Got to finish mounting the headache rack, bed cover, and truck parts on the Silverado this weekend before we can take a closer look at her.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
We may deal with the trans on my friend's incoming 2003 Jetta TDI project. 4th and 5th gear shifts hard intermittently. My friend is considering GD short shifter. Got to finish mounting the headache rack, bed cover, and truck parts on the Silverado this weekend before we can take a closer look at her.
Check the trans fluid if you haven't yet that will cause those symptoms sometimes. when it gets old it doesn't always like letting the gears match up and much as quickly as a driver would like.

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Check the trans fluid if you haven't yet that will cause those symptoms sometimes. when it gets old it doesn't always like letting the gears match up and much as quickly as a driver would like.
Yeah, that's on the top of the list.