Help me take care of my car...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
In normal driving, your engine will probably do a regen at least once per tank of fuel. If you're driving 70+ miles a day at highway speeds, you won't notice the regens at all. Maybe a slight bump in engine RPM but you'll have to watch closely for it.

Best advice is to always buy fuel from a station with a lot of turn over.

SUPRDLUX

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
That article was written six years after your car was manufactured. You shouldn't assume the regen process in 2018 and later is the same as it is for your 2013.
I'm fully aware that technology is ever-changing. If anything, I assumed my car was NOT equipped with SCR tech according to that article then I was told that it did. Care to clear that up??

So how harmful is it to disrupt the regen? I'm assuming the car just keeps trying on the count of soot level when the conditions are suitable. Or is this put off by some kind of delay in the logic? And yes I plan to grab my next fill up at a station that I hear can run out of diesel from time to time however, I believe it's debatable whether Sam's Club sells fuel that is of the best quality...

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not harmful. People here worry about it much more than most. As long as you drive the car long enough distances occasionally so it's allowed to regen then it'll be fine.

Example: My daughter is staying with me for the summer because her work location is closed due to COVID. She's been driving my BMW 335d, which has a similar emissions system. She drives a fair number of short (less than 6-7 miles) trips, but at least once a week is in the car for 45 min to an hour, driving to the city or to see her nephew. So I'm confident it's regenning when needed. She's been here since June 2 and the BMW seems no worse for it.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I'm fully aware that technology is ever-changing. If anything, I assumed my car was NOT equipped with SCR tech according to that article then I was told that it did. Care to clear that up??

So how harmful is it to disrupt the regen? I'm assuming the car just keeps trying the count of soot level when the conditions are suitable. Or is this put off by some kind of delay in the logic? And yes I plan to grab my next fill up at a station that I hear can run out of diesel from time to time however, I believe it's debatable whether Sam's Club sells fuel that is of the best quality...
Do you have to add adblue? Then you have SCR tech. That's about as simple as it can get.

I have almost 150k miles on my JSW and can't tell you how many times I've interrupped a regen. The computer will call for it again when the soot load is high enough and the engine warm enough to handle it. I think I've noticed two regens in my Ram ecodiesel with almost 50k miles. I did get the dash warning that my soot level was too high since we've been doing mostly short trips this last 18 months.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Regens in VWs are far more noticeable than in other cars. Not sure why. I've only noticed one regen in the BMW, and that was because I walked around the front of the car when it was running, and noticed the fans were on high. They're not noticeable in Mercedes, either.

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Once our 2008 Dodge 6.7L Bluetec diesel was interrupted in a regen when highway traffic came to a stop due to construction equipment movement. While stopped and engine running, I noticed white smoke coming from the exhaust. This particular engine would inform you when an active regen was occurring, otherwise I might have been concerned.

SUPRDLUX

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Since they've been mentioned herein several times, can we talk about scan tools specifically those of the BT variety? I did search but most content here is limited to brief mentions on obtaining one for the first 4-5 pages but nothing about basics, comparisons, interface usability, capability, support, etc. - unless you can directly link me. I've had one for my older car but it was a POS. Definitely buying a better one but really don't see myself fully utilizing something like a Ross-Tech - especially for the cost. I'd have to purchase a competent pc plus I like the idea of on-the-fly readouts. What're some top choices?

I've seen references above but I'm the "pros and cons" type. I like the idea of turning my rain sensing wiper function on. I know the OBDeleven has this function but do any others? If I purchase a tool with that capability am I able to turn it on/off through the MFI among other things? Are you able to leave them plugged in and get live readings at anytime? Any info would help me make an informed decision...

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Since they've been mentioned herein several times, can we talk about scan tools specifically those of the BT variety? I did search but most content here is limited to brief mentions on obtaining one for the first 4-5 pages but nothing about basics, comparisons, interface usability, capability, support, etc. - unless you can directly link me. I've had one for my older car but it was a POS. Definitely buying a better one but really don't see myself fully utilizing something like a Ross-Tech - especially for the cost. I'd have to purchase a competent pc plus I like the idea of on-the-fly readouts. What're some top choices?

I've seen references above but I'm the "pros and cons" type. I like the idea of turning my rain sensing wiper function on. I know the OBDeleven has this function but do any others? If I purchase a tool with that capability am I able to turn it on/off through the MFI among other things? Are you able to leave them plugged in and get live readings at anytime? Any info would help me make an informed decision...
VCDS and OBDeleven are the only two that can do advance VAG options.

I got the wired VCDS to do my programing and diagnostics.

OBDeleven can stay in the car plugged in and get live data on a smart device, but not sure how much current will draw when the vehicle is off while still plugged in.

SUPRDLUX

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
OBDeleven Pro it is then. I plugged a cheap BAFX scanner into my LS just to pull codes and never took it out but compared to a OBDeleven it's low tech af. Suppose there's only one way to find out. So I'm assuming tha when you install these "apps" or long code them into the car, they become operable from the MFI and stay on the car forever??