Help me price my 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon properly

MJ_R

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
I am considering selling my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon because I can't afford to do the repairs it needs right now.
We have had it for about 15 years or so and it is hard to part with. . .

It has been having intermittent starting problems that two reputable shops had some trouble replicating and diagnosing at first, but it seems they traced it to the need for a new fuel injection pump (est. $2,800-$3,000 CAD).
[there were other theories along the way, but that is not the question posed on this post; I suspect it might benefit from new battery and starter/ignition wiring as well, but that doesn't appear to be the cause of the intermittent starting problems]
  • It has a persistent water leak into the cabin area that I have not yet located or repaired (unknown co$t) - (& no indoor garage at home),
  • Passenger door handle is broken but functional,
  • Minor rust and scratches, but no major rust,
  • While the diesel engine might go the distance, anything made of plastic is getting brittle, fatigued and breaking (e.g. glove compartment hatch; center console...),
  • Cloth interior certainly shows its age
So, it is in 'fair' condition, needs repairs, but also has these other couple things going for it, which make it a bit challenging to price properly:
  • It has a 2" lift kit from 'metalnerd, aka Charles Meglio' and 'Dieslegeek Panzer' skid plate (both outstanding quality and performance) installed in 2008 along with the suspension components required at that time.
  • Had the automatic transmission fully rebuilt in 2017 at 154,000 miles ($4,000)
  • All routine service done well and on schedule by a reputable shop- all service records available for the last 15 years.
Now it is at approx. 167,000 miles.

KBB (Canadian $s) says $3.400 - $3,800 for a private party seller/buyer.

What do you think is really a fair price to someone willing to take on the repairs, while also valuing the maintenance investments I have made?

also:
What are some perspectives that you might suggest for me to consider if I am on the fence about actually selling it versus holding onto it and investing in the repairs at a later point when I can afford them?

Thank you!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Rebuild the pumps aren't that bad and is far cheaper.. I got a rebuilt cp3 for less than a grand. Where's the water pooling? Sunroof? I'd suspect your cowl drain is plugged.

MVP

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, GLS 5-speed, Baltic Green Past: 2001 Golf 4-door, GLS 5-speed
Being an automatic it will be less desired than a 5-speed manual. Also it will be difficult to get opinions of value without good photos - exterior, interior, undercarriage, engine compartment. However based on what documentation and recent maintenance you have documented (aka receipts)... that could help you.

And the #1 question most informed people will have: when was timing belt last changed (mileage and date)?

MJ_R

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
Rebuild the pumps aren't that bad and is far cheaper.. I got a rebuilt cp3 for less than a grand. Where's the water pooling? Sunroof? I'd suspect your cowl drain is plugged.
yes: a used/rebuilt pump is another option we have considered.

the water is pooling on both drivers side and passenger side floors.
drivers side seat belt is also soaked.

MJ_R

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
Being an automatic it will be less desired than a 5-speed manual. Also it will be difficult to get opinions of value without good photos - exterior, interior, undercarriage, engine compartment. However based on what documentation and recent maintenance you have documented (aka receipts)... that could help you.

And the #1 question most informed people will have: when was timing belt last changed (mileage and date)?
Sorry: no great photos inside & out,
but the timing belt was done at 163,400 miles, September 2018

Reactions: MVP

MJ_R

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon
This figure I had in mind was $1,200 CAD obo,
leaving the buyer to put in $2,500-3,000 CAD +/- according to their skills & savvy at acquiring parts.
Does that seem reasonable? (Hi? Lo?)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
If I had time and room in the driveway, I'd be on your doorstep (I live on Vancouver Island) tomorrow morning with $1200 in hand for you. :)
Despite having too many cars already, I'm always keeping an eye on the market here; if you listed it at $1900 on FB Marketplace, I'd expect that you could get at least $1500 for it by the end of the week.

Wagon with good body is in high demand. Lift kit and suspension upgrade will also attract the enthusiast who recognizes the value of these cars.
Automatic and the water will count against you, but both of those aren't too hard to fix (5sp. swap is $1000 for parts including good clutch set and the work isn't too hard; water is probably build-up behind the front wheel liners, which is easy to address; and 10mm injection pumps are fairly cheap and easy to come by - I have two in my garage that refuse to sell).

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
yes: a used/rebuilt pump is another option we have considered.

the water is pooling on both drivers side and passenger side floors.
drivers side seat belt is also soaked.
That seems like sunroof is leaking. If the shoulder straps are wet

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
$2,500 CAD sounds fair. Unfortunately the fact that it's an auto and the poor cosmetics really hurt. And a vehicle that's not running for unknown reasons will always take a big value hit.

jettafool

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Being an automatic you would want an 11mm pump, I have a good 10mm here i'd sell for $50 but its far away anyways. I bought an 11mm pump at Kenny u pull (pick a part out there probably) roughly $50 and shot a pump expert $200 to put a kit in it for me, works like a charm. Its lucky I had him do it since the main oil ring fell apart when he took it apart. It would have failed quick. 20 year old rubber... He said the pump inerds were like new.
Good Luck