Help me pick an LSD for my wagon

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I am working(painfully slow) on my wagon. I have purchased a 6 speed manual(thank you, Ryan) for my car. The engine is also receiving upgrades for a bit more grunt. My main goal is to have a much more dynamic car that handles better, pulls harder and is generally more fun to drive than the stock set-up. I am not building it to drag race or track it. I don't want it super aggressive and would like to retain a lot of the comfort and economy(obviously with a reasonable drop due to upgrades).

I have narrowed it down to between a Wavetrac or a Peloquin. Since I do not have people in my immediate area who could let me drive their car around for a bit, I come to you for advice.

I really like how my Audi feels and I'd like a similar feeling with the Jetta. I do fully realize that they are very different cars, so I am understanding of the differences and limitations of the wagon. I'd like it to feel similar to how the Torsen differentials make the Audi feel. The Peloquin IS adjustable with the clutch plates, so that's a big plus. I realize that they do wear out and will need to be replaced at some point. I am not sure where that point normally is, but I imagine it gets a bit closer with more power than the oem 90 or even the 150hp ALH powered car would be putting through it. Some of it will be driving style and smoothness(which i will be learning more and more). I know a lot of the feel comes from the suspension and chassis bracing, both of which will be addressed by adding Bilstein PPS9 coilovers, Neuspeed 25mm front sway bar(rear one pending), new bushings all around, BFI control arms with stage 1 bushings, BFI stage 1 trans mount bushings, likely urethane upper strut mount bushings and others all around. I also have a new dogbone mount with stage 1 bushings in it. I am planning to get a UNI brace for the rear and a front lower tie bar. Possibly front and rear upper strut bars as well. I will be looking into a Shine rear bar. Wheels and tires will also be improved from stock. Brake upgrades will be pending the feel of the car with a possible GTI or .:R32 set-up later down the road.

I'd greatly appreciate your feedback, especially if you'e driven cars with either or both differentials in them. It's mainly going to be a street driven car. I may do a few "drag" type pulls, just because it would be fun and maybe some highway runs, but nothing excessive or illegal. Track and drag experience is a plus, but i'd like any and all feedback.

The cost for either unit is so close that you can disregard that as a factor in this.