Help me Diagnose my 02 Golf,please.

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Car is 2002 golf Tdi,she started right up today,drove for about 10kms and she stalled and shut down.
I tried starting it again but wouldn't start at first,second crank and it fired up but noticed a puff of white smoke from the exhaust and was idling rough.
I shut it down and did visual check of the engine and underneath,nothing was out of place.
I started it again with the same symptoms as before and it quickly shut down.Now it's getting towed home.
I will appreciate any help in finding out the cause of this.I'm hoping it's not the turbo.
Thanks.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Turbo is not doing very much of anything at idle - not likely the cause of the symptoms you describe.

As above, timing, oil level, I would also check fuel - look for bubbles in the fuel line - what is the level in the tank? check also the arm on the anti-shudder valve / egr and make sure it's open.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Hey Scorny, if you need a hand, let me know - am on afternoons tomorrow and have a dentist appointment I can reschedule if necessary.
I'm hoping its not the timing belt...

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Hey Scorny, if you need a hand, let me know - am on afternoons tomorrow and have a dentist appointment I can reschedule if necessary.
I'm hoping its not the timing belt...
Whats up buddy...
Health first,deal with your appointment and I will text you later and update the thread accordingly.
Thanks.

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
Check the oil level, timing belt, etc.
Turbo is not doing very much of anything at idle - not likely the cause of the symptoms you describe.

As above, timing, oil level, I would also check fuel - look for bubbles in the fuel line - what is the level in the tank? check also the arm on the anti-shudder valve / egr and make sure it's open.

I check the oil level,it was good.Fuel line has no bubbles,anti-shudder valve is working however,the timing belt is loose than normal and the engine is louder,did not see any broken parts around timing belt.
What problem I'm I looking at here,folks ?
Thanks.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
One of your idler wheels probably went or the tensioner malfunctioned. Since it didnt break there might be a tiny chance it didnt bend any valves. But id definitely stop running it till you can investigate further

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's
How long since the TB was done?
It's due this summer and was gonna talk to you about it.I'm guessing sh1t got real earlier than anticipated.
I will fix her if there's any damage,I like that car.

One of your idler wheels probably went or the tensioner malfunctioned. Since it didnt break there might be a tiny chance it didnt bend any valves. But id definitely stop running it till you can investigate further
Thanks for the tip,it's parked until somebody with a better know-how checks it out.

Scorny

Veteran Member
TDI
2 ALH TDi's

It was the tensioner....;).
Engine(head) was taking apart and thoroughly inspected to make sure there was no further damage and or bent valves.
Car runs like champ,seals,gasket and TB job done.Intake and EGR all cleaned.

Thanks all for the help and tips.Much appreciation.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Great to hear about the trouble and fix. Should be good for a few more years.