Help me decide what to do....

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
I have been racking my brain on what to do.
So here's what I got. 2010 golf 112,500 at the moment
From what I can see I'll get some where around 14,000 after mileage deductions. I owe around 9800. So roughly 4200 cash back either way i go. Buyback or wait for a fix that might not come.

Plus my car is deleted front to back with stage two...

So keep in mind a timing belt is on the horizon if I keep it. Which puts me out 800-1000 bucks.

Payment is low at 240 a month. Everything has been keep in good running order since new.

Just can't help thinking if I don't take the buyback I'm throwing money away.
But don't want to step into another big loan amount.
Was thinking of taking the money towards a old gas Jetta or golf. 1.8 or a 2.0 early 2000 models for less than 7000 and have a lower payment and some more cash in the bank. Unsure of the reliability of a 15 year old car though.

I know that is all bit of hair brained thinking but can't figure out what to do.
Thanks for any suggestions

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I'm afraid only you can decide. I have a 2013 so my payback is a good bit higher . I also have a check engine light for the intake valve on right now. I owe about the same but I've got less than 2 years worth of payments to go. I am also going to put my payoff towards a cheaper vehicle, probably a new Mazda 3, that I believe to have cheaper maintenance costs as well as a brand new warrantee. I made the mistake of letting them reflash the emissions control a while back. Since then my mpg dropped 2 or 3 mpg per tank and it seems that I have a $500.00 repair every 5 months or so. Add to that the expensive maintenance every 20,000 miles and the maintenance costs eat up any fuel savings. I love the torque and the space in my JSW but I'm tired of the maintenance head aches and worrying if some goofball trucker is going to dump gasoline into the fuel station diesel pump tanks.

kjohnson129

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL
What's the current book value? If you were to total it now would insurance give you more or less than $9,800? It would be really rough to have something happen and be upside down after insurance payoff. I have a 14 year old truck with 178k miles on it, never gives me trouble but its really only driven on weekends... also cost me $4,000.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I have 140K miles on my 2010 Golf TDI and decided to keep mine. It just wasn't enough money for the buyback, considering how much I'd have to spend to get another car I like as well. I like my TDI very much. Maybe if the buyback wasn't based on the lower trade value I would have been tempted, but the way it is I decided to keep my car.

I was waiting for a while to do the timing belt, but then went ahead and did it at 130K. And now I also have the upgraded CP3 HPFP. I'm past the 120K warranty on the pump and I didn't want to have that worry anymore. If I were you, I think I'd get the timing belt and the upgraded CP3 HPFP at the same time and just keep on driving. That is if you like your car like I do. If you don't really like the car, I suspect you'll never get a better price for the car to get out.

Another thing to consider, since you're deleted, it sounds like you'll have a hard time getting a fix. I think that means you probably also won't get the compensation. So the only way for you to get some of the dieselgate money is to take the buyback. I thought I might get the fix, if it's ever available, and use some of the money to do the delete after whatever warranty extension is expired.

Last edited:

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Thanks for the replies

Just unsure. Trying to look at it financially.
Don't get me wrong it's been a great car.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Since you already have the delete, you've eliminated some of the potential expensive repairs with the DPF and EGR. If you also did the CP3 HPFP when you do the timing belt, then you should be pretty good to go! You should have a very good car that would run a long time with very good mpg. Like with any car, it's still possible to have an expensive repair. But you really have eliminated some things already and just a little more spending might get you to another 100 or 200 thousand miles.

Mostly, I think it depends how much you like your TDI. If you want out, this is a good time. My car is loaded and I went through some trouble to get the car. I think I could also enjoy a new loaded MKVII GTI, but it would cost a lot of money to make the switch and I really do like my little diesel.

Good luck with your decision!

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
If you sell the car back ( buyback ) you will have 4200$ roughly in cash money, No loan, to buy a replacement.

You could shop around for a used car or truck for 4200$ price range.

You could shop around for a more expensive used car or truck and put your 4200$ and take on a payment for the balance.

You could take the 4200$ and use that as a downpayment on a new car or truck.

OR..... you could keep the car and do nothing ( because of the deletes, and because its unlikely they will have a fix for 2010 model tdis, the " Fix " option probably won't apply or happen for you )

Your currently paying 240$ a month in payments. That means you borrowed roughly 12 to 13 grand. So to keep at 240$ a month you would put your 4200$ down and be financing a loan for 12 to 13 grand, which with your down payment would be a total out the door cost of 16 thousand to 18 thousand dollars ( depending on the interest rate you get, and state sales tax etc.... ) So at 16 to 18 grand, you won't find much new other than real basic cars. Possibly a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Fit, or maybe some type of domestic such as a Chevy Sonic or Ford Focus. Maybe something is on super clearance sale and you can find something semi nice, new, in that price range......... Some have said their VW dealer has had sweet pricing on some Jettas, you might could get a gas jetta for that price point... Of course alot of people don't want another VW after this whole mess we been going through!

You will obviously have a pretty big market to pick from in the 16 to 18 grand price point when you look at used cars. For that price range you could pick from a slew of 2-4 year old cars with low miles on them. You could certainly find a car such as a 2015 Camry SE with under 30 thousand miles for that price point. You will find plenty of other cars in that price point, Mazda 3's, 6's, Ford Escapes, Ford Fusion, etc.... etc.... 2 or 3 year leases are still real popular, and there is always a large market of 2-3 year old, Nice cars with 15-30 thousand miles on them, in the 15-20 grand price range.

Of course if you want to go higher than a 240$ a month payment you can just so up on the price of the vehicle. Unless you have BAD credit, you can count on roughly 17-20$ per month in payment for every 1000$ you borrow. So to stay at 240$ a month your borrowing 12 to 14 grand. Combined with your 4200$ your at 16,200$ to 18,200$. If you decided you wanted a new or used car that will cost 24 grand out the door... you would need another 5800-7800.... or more importantly, your payment would go up from as little as 100$ a month ( for another 6 grand at nearly zero percent interest ) to as much as 160$ a month ( for another 8 grand at a average 7-8 percent interest rate ) So in effect to go from a 16-18 grand new or used car, to a 24 grand new or used car you would go from a 240$ a month payment to a 340-400$ payment depending on your credit and interest rates.

You also have the option of a less expensive used car, that would still result in a payment but a lower payment than the 240$.... so as example, instead of a 16-18 grand car, you pick a 12 to 14 grand car. In that case your looking at as little as a 140$ a month payment to as much as a 200$ a month payment. You can still get a great low miles used 3-4 year old car for 12 to 14 grand.

Another option you have is to just take the 4200$ and go look for a used car you can buy for that 4200$. Then you have no payments. Now of course for 4200$ the car will not be both low miles and also only a few years old. You will have to decide if mileage or age is more important and also have to decide if you want a more simple basic car ( that will have less risk of mechanical issues and cheaper repairs ) or a more complex more luxurious type of car. With some careful looking around you can find some decent cars for 4200$. Nothing super fancy, but a solid car that would get you from point A to B and you would not have a payment. I will list some links to examples from my local market....

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5949144243.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5946025306.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5911027892.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5949114288.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5942420698.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5949164525.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5949203357.html

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5948829437.html

I could spend hours looking at all the used cars in that price point. Some gems out there to be discovered, and of course plenty of cars you probably should avoid. But there ARE decent cars out there that you could get several years of driving out of with minimal expense. Some good deals out there on cars with salvage titles too... At least around here there are. For a 3-4 grand car, who cares if it has a rebuilt title, so as long as its is mechanically solid and looks decent. Can get alot nicer and newer car for the same money.

If you chose to go for the 4200$ cash used car option, just think about this. You can put your 240$ each month into savings, and after say 3 years you would have 8640$ saved up. You could sell whatever you buy now for say 2 grand, then take that with your savings and you could buy another used car for 10600$ and still not have a payment. No money wasted on interest fees.

Youll have to decide whats best for you. Good luck

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Keep it. If you like your car and have no issues with it, just maintain it and keep driving it. If I liked my car, $4,200 wouldn't have been enough incentive for me to have to go through the pain in the a$$ of vehicle shopping all over again.

What are you going to do with the $4,200? You still need to buy another vehicle...and I doubt very much that if you're happy with your car that you're going to be happy with anything that you can buy for $4,200 cash.

You get rid of your car...it's right back into a (most likely) larger car payment. If that's something that you're ok with, then go for it, but again...if you like your car...I'm not sure why I'd do it for $4,200. Just my two cents.

I'm not saying that you can't find a decent car for $4,200. I'm just saying that I doubt that the average person that had a late model car is going to be happy going to an older and most likely higher mileage car.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
I just turned my in but If I was you I would more than likely keep it based on this, $4200 is not gonna get you a good car, yes you may get lucky and land a good car thru a friend or family member but in the land of used cars it is a crap shoot and 4200 does not buy much, if the car has been doing well for you keep it, hope VW never comes up w a fix and gives you some go away cash , maybe 50% of the fix money. You have "solved" the DPF and erg, if there is a fix you may be able to get the fix wo those items on it. I would stay away form taking on more debt, but that is up to you.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Well he has a payment now Bubbagump... So if he sells the car back he will have no more payments and 4200$ cash.

Sure it may be a step down, driving a older 4200$ vehicle verses what he is driving now, but maybe not. This car looks like it would be alot of fun and probably has most of the same features as his golf... https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5946025306.html He could buy this car and NOT HAVE ANY MORE PAYMENTS. He could blow the 240$ on booze and hookers if the car isn't exciting enough.

He is also looking at a expensive timing belt change coming up if he keeps the car.

If it was me, I would either do the buyback and buy a cheap 3500-5000$ car and not have payments OR, I would do the buyback and find a 2014-2016 used car I could put the 4200$ down on and still have my 240$ payment but now be in a 4-6 year newer car with a ton less miles and no upcoming big expense maintenance looming.

Here is a example.... https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5942673722.html Take the 4200$ and negotiate the price down to say 13,500$ and your looking at 9300$ plus tax and tag fees ( here in South carolina that would be about 400$, could be more in Penn ) So your financing 9700$ maybe 10 grand if taxes are higher in PENN. 10 grand by 5 year loan at 7-8 percent loan is 200$ a month. At a lower rate, say 2 percent, the payment would be 175$ a month. If he went this route he is getting a 5 year newer vehicle.... a vehicle with almost 75,000 LESS miles. With no upcoming pricey maintenance expenses. Engine has a timing chain so he will never have a timing belt change to worry about! Roomier, probably quieter, good MPG and good solid resale value as the car ages. Car is still under warranty.

I think doing the buyback is a given.... Its more of a issue of what to replace it with. Does he want to be rid of monthly payments? If so buy a older car with the 4200$ cash. If not take out a new loan and get something newer.

Elick

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
Thanks a lot for all the info.
Think I'll sleep on it for awhile longer. Still have some time before timing belt is really do.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Well he has a payment now Bubbagump... So if he sells the car back he will have no more payments and 4200$ cash.

Sure it may be a step down, driving a older 4200$ vehicle verses what he is driving now, but maybe not. This car looks like it would be alot of fun and probably has most of the same features as his golf... https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5946025306.html He could buy this car and NOT HAVE ANY MORE PAYMENTS. He could blow the 240$ on booze and hookers if the car isn't exciting enough.

He is also looking at a expensive timing belt change coming up if he keeps the car.

If it was me, I would either do the buyback and buy a cheap 3500-5000$ car and not have payments OR, I would do the buyback and find a 2014-2016 used car I could put the 4200$ down on and still have my 240$ payment but now be in a 4-6 year newer car with a ton less miles and no upcoming big expense maintenance looming.

Here is a example.... https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/5942673722.html Take the 4200$ and negotiate the price down to say 13,500$ and your looking at 9300$ plus tax and tag fees ( here in South carolina that would be about 400$, could be more in Penn ) So your financing 9700$ maybe 10 grand if taxes are higher in PENN. 10 grand by 5 year loan at 7-8 percent loan is 200$ a month. At a lower rate, say 2 percent, the payment would be 175$ a month. If he went this route he is getting a 5 year newer vehicle.... a vehicle with almost 75,000 LESS miles. With no upcoming pricey maintenance expenses. Engine has a timing chain so he will never have a timing belt change to worry about! Roomier, probably quieter, good MPG and good solid resale value as the car ages. Car is still under warranty.

I think doing the buyback is a given.... Its more of a issue of what to replace it with. Does he want to be rid of monthly payments? If so buy a older car with the 4200$ cash. If not take out a new loan and get something newer.
He has a $240/month payment. If it was that much of an issue for the OP, they would be taking the money and running...not debating it.

The 2004 Mini Cooper, lol. Then the OP's got a $175/month note (only a few bucks less than their existing reasonable car payment) on a vehicle that's six years older, likely has a LOT more miles than their current vehicle (if the miles were low or even moderate...the seller would have listed it).

If money is a concern, go get an economy car (ex. The Camry you listed is a great example)...not someone's 13 year old clapped out toy car. He has a timing belt about due on this car. Pretty much anything that he's going to get for $4,200 is going to have some kind of deferred maintenance.

This is coming from someone that did the buyback thing two days ago, so I have no love for VW at the moment. Just saying that I wouldn't ditch a reliable car that I liked with only 112k miles with only a $240/month payment over $4,200 cash.

My position is assuming the OP really likes his car. Is he's really just looking for someone to say "yeah...take that money and run!"...then he should just take the money and go get whatever it is that he would prefer driving.

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Thanks a lot for all the info.
Think I'll sleep on it for awhile longer. Still have some time before timing belt is really do.

You have the timing belt coming up.... Then your also at risk of HPFP failure at any time. Same with Turbo failure. Not to mention any other of the systems and subsystems you could have issues with such as the air conditioning or heat or window motors, electrical stuff, etc....

GyroRon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
He has a $240/month payment. If it was that much of an issue for the OP, they would be taking the money and running...not debating it.

The 2004 Mini Cooper, lol. Then the OP's got a $175/month note (only a few bucks less than their existing reasonable car payment) on a vehicle that's six years older, likely has a LOT more miles than their current vehicle (if the miles were low or even moderate...the seller would have listed it).

If money is a concern, go get an economy car (ex. The Camry you listed is a great example)...not someone's 13 year old clapped out toy car. He has a timing belt about due on this car. Pretty much anything that he's going to get for $4,200 is going to have some kind of deferred maintenance.

This is coming from someone that did the buyback thing two days ago, so I have no love for VW at the moment. Just saying that I wouldn't ditch a reliable car that I liked with only 112k miles with only a $240/month payment over $4,200 cash.

My position is assuming the OP really likes his car. Is he's really just looking for someone to say "yeah...take that money and run!"...then he should just take the money and go get whatever it is that he would prefer driving.

First of all, the mini cooper I linked to, was priced in the range of where he could buy it with the 4200$ cash and not have a payment anymore. He would not have a 175$ payment on the mini cooper....

And sure any older used 4200$ car would have the possibility of having higher miles on it and possibly in some need of maintenance. But there again, some cars don't require much in the first place. What is certain is he can buy a car for in or around that 4200$ price range and is no more as risk of maintenance costs than the car he is driving now!

And speaking of the car he is in now, it has 112K on it now. Its 6-7 years old now. And he still owes close to ten grand on it! He will still have payments on this thing for another 3 and half years. He can do the buyback and find another car with somewhat close miles and not have any more payments! Pretty much a no brainer to me. Especially considering the risk of expensive failures the TDI is subject to.... Look at all the blown HPFP threads!

If he is comfortable with a 240$ a month payment, he could do the buyback, and get into a much newer used car and have a lower payment. In my example with the 2015 Camry above, he would be in a car that is 5 model years newer, with 75,000 less miles, and he would have a LOWER monthly payment, and the payments would only be a year and a half longer than his current loan term is at now.

The only time I would say keeping the TDI would be a viable option would be if was a nearly new model, say a low miles 2015 that may be able to have a fix applied, or a early model such as a 2009 or 2010 with very high miles... like as in over 200-250K miles, in which case the buyback dollar figure on a car like that is so low you really don't end up with much money to do anything with. Might as well drive the car till its no longer driveable.

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
I'm going to give very generic advice here as I don't have all info needed but if your looking for your best choice financially based on a few assumptions your best option is the buyback. They are offering you more then your car is worth plus restitution if you only take the restitution you are leaving the additional money being paid on the value of your car on the table. If you have a fairly standard golf tdi the current trade in value is only about $4-5K and private party value is about $6K which means you are likely almost 4k upside down in the car and this is a free out on that since it sounds like VW will pay you almost $9800 just for the car plus restitution. Also finacially speaking in your spot if you like the car I would just schedule the back back at the latest possible time you can so if you keep the car another year instead of getting $4200 back you will get more like $6200 back since you will continue to pay on the loan. Having $6200 as a down payment will open doors on a lot of cars you could purchase as a replacement. Just my 2 cents but everyones situation is different.