Help me choose a suspension

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Ok guys (and girls). I need some help. I'm running an Eibach Sport Suspension on my 2K Jetta, which lowers the car, and gives a more firm ride than stock. I like the cornering and handling, and don't mind the firm feel of the bumps on the road, but I'm about to change the use of my car.

I'm going to tow this vehicle 4 wheels down with a Blue Ox tow system behind our GMC Motorhome and it will be the vacation-mobile for myself and Mz. Sue.

I need a softer ride for Mz. Sue, and I'll be towing an extra 65 lbs worth of stealth tow assembly that remains on the car, and another 35 lbs from the bar assembly when it's being towed. Right now the ride is too harsh for Mz. Sue, so I need a softer ride, and I also need to support the extra weight at the front end.

Question: What kind of suspension would help provide a smoother ride for Mz. Sue and also support the added weight up front?

I don't want a lowered shine rear end, either. And as always, money is a consideration, but not the sole determining factor. Thanks for the input.

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
hey there, you installed the vw sport suspension right? i am just curious, how much did it lower your car? i know one guy claimed almost 2 inches, is this true? i assume this is different then the gti suspension because that one raises the tdi a bit???

thanks

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Get yourself a Jetta VR6 spring set up and run it with Koni or Bilstein shocks.

Hear me now, believe me later. The stock shocks on your car are likely bad and your rifing on those "stiff" springs.

Hell, just replace the shocks and see if it does the trick. Just my opinion, the VR6 springs would be better and they wouldn't lower it.

Myself and Oldman have discussed this plenty and I'm sure he would agree; and he knows a heck of alot more than I do about suspension set ups.

Chris B

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon 5 spd
Does anyone have a list of the VW part numbers needed to convert a TDI Jetta wagon to the VR6 setup?

Also, can anyone confirm if the springs are the same on the Wagon as the Sedan? I feel that the big problem is the mushy struts/shocks, the spring rates seem OK for 'normal' driving. I think the VR6 springs are only about 7% stiffer, from what I've read.

Chris

Originally posted by dzljet:
Get yourself a Jetta VR6 spring set up and run it with Koni or Bilstein shocks.

Hear me now, believe me later. The stock shocks on your car are likely bad and your rifing on those "stiff" springs.

Hell, just replace the shocks and see if it does the trick. Just my opinion, the VR6 springs would be better and they wouldn't lower it.

Myself and Oldman have discussed this plenty and I'm sure he would agree; and he knows a heck of alot more than I do about suspension set ups.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Originally posted by suffeks:
hey there, you installed the vw sport suspension right? i am just curious, how much did it lower your car? i know one guy claimed almost 2 inches, is this true? i assume this is different then the gti suspension because that one raises the tdi a bit???

thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The springs with stock shocks lowered the car about 1.8" More than I had anticipated. It provides a pretty firm ride, too. I like the ride myself, but my wife gets rattled around more than she can handle.

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Bilstein HD's = Heavy Duty

They are a bit sturdier than stock.

The touring class is closer to stock, but I would recommend those over stock Boge's.

suffeks

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GT TDi
Originally posted by Driv'n EZ:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by suffeks:

thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The springs with stock shocks lowered the car about 1.8" More than I had anticipated. It provides a pretty firm ride, too. I like the ride myself, but my wife gets rattled around more than she can handle.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">great thanks for the reply.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
I'm considering three things, the third is probably least important now:

Want smooth ride for my wife, who is handicapped and has chronic pain. So that's a priority.

I'm hooking up a tow assembly to the car to add an additional 65 pounds up front just behind the bumper. and I need the support at the front end.

I'm used to the ride of the Eibach Springs and like the way they handle, but am willing to give up some cornering, because I can't drive crazy with my wife in car anyway. We'll be using this for our summer vehicle when we travel with the motorhome.

So ... Opinion please. Would I be better off with the TC or the HD Bilsteins?

Thanks for the reply.

MineMapper

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Transporter Kombi
I can't give you an opinion on Bilstein's, but for a real limo ride, I would really recommend a Passat.

I have yet to find another car of this class that rides as well as these do.

Good luck on your search

Matt

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Go with the TC's w/Eibachs or else use HD's with the VR6 springs if you go that way.

"HD's with some VR6 sport suspension springs"
That's the best comfort/sport compromise IMO.

First D

Veteran Member
Sorry if I missed the party on this, but please educate me on the reason to use VR6 (wagon?) sport springs vs the 1.8T. Are the 1.8T springs too light? Will the VR6 springs increase understeer?

I was considering the Eibach setup but have decided I want to minimally lower the car (maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inches). I just bought the 25mm Neuspeed rear bar so that will go on soon. Probably will go with Koni struts.

Thanks!

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Originally posted by dzljet:
"HD's with some VR6 sport suspension springs"
That's the best comfort/sport compromise IMO.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">What will HD's with Stock Springs do? A Little softer than the VR6 springs? If so, that might be my best choice, because while I need the support front end, I'm leaning toward a softer ride for Sue.

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Originally posted by Driv'n EZ:
What will HD's with Stock Springs do? A Little softer than the VR6 springs? If so, that might be my best choice, because while I need the support front end, I'm leaning toward a softer ride for Sue.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes, they will be softer than VR6.
I merely suggest the VR6 because the TDI is a heavy motor and the slightly stiffer spring rates for the VR6 will help, giving a slightly more sporty feel but without the lowering of Eibach's.

Driv'n EZ

Veteran Member
Thanks for the input. I'm going to compromise on the Bilstein HD's with the Stock Springs. Since I still have the springs I took off about 25K miles ago.

I really appreciate the comments. When the Eibach's come off, I'll either eBay them or sell them to a forum member.

Peace,
DEZ