Help me build a stock looking, compliant TDI MK4/MK5. PD130 or PD150 look stock? VNT17 or BV43 or gtb1756 bolt on?

Mysticle31

TDI
One of every generation to MK4
I've been researching building a TDI engine. I know ALH/BEW are capable of a bunch, but what about looking factory?

If I built a FWD BEW/BHW, would it look factory like a BEW? Would a PD170/BV43 or gtb1756 or VNT17 turbo be nice and low key, no custom manifolds, no FMIC? What turbos should I run? What power level can I expect?

Should I find a PD130 ASZ or PD150 ARL instead?

I'm trying to keep things as emissions compliant as I can in California. I'm subject to visual inspection, obd plugin, and a smoke check. I know I can get 174 from a BHW on factory hardware, but unsure if I can use VNT1749a in a FWD configuration with FWD manifolds.

Cook me up a stock looking bang for buck compliant looking TDI recipe.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Things that look stock. Stock intake, keep egr, Vnt17, and larger nozzles. Have Malone do a tune, and then knock the IQ back a little so it smokes less during inspections.

We have emissions here to so I'm in the same boat.

Mysticle31

TDI
One of every generation to MK4
So I might be able to get by on an VNT17, good to hear. There is..what..170whp if I do it right?

Is the stock BHW turbo (VNT1749a) the same as the VNT17 that everyone uses on BEW? Is a BV43 bolt on?

Thanks Morg. What check do you do up in OR? What have you done to your car?

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I'm not certain what the gains will be with a BEW turbo, but the vnt17 looks very stock.
I have a vnt17, 1019 injectors, Malone stage 4 (with EGR still fully functional) and a 2" exhaust. I also have the catalytic converter and a magna flow muffler. No issues yet and I had to run emissions early last year.