Help Installing Alpha-Therm washer fluid heater

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I decided I want to test out an alpha-therm heater, and risk any damage to the windshield in -40, though I think it will be OK.

I have a 2012 TDI, and I am wondering where the best place to splice into the washer fluid hose is? In fact I'm not even sure exactly where it is, unless it's the hose with the plastic protector I can see going into the hood on the passenger side?

After splicing into the hose I am wondering where the best place to mount it is? I am thinking it might fit under the plastic at the bottom of the windshield? Thoughts? If so how do I get that plastic off, seem sealed up against the windshield.

The install instructions are here if anyone wants to take a quick peak at it for me :)

http://www.alphathermusa.com/files/HeatedWash_AT-38OD_Installation_Manual.pdf

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
the hose does go into the hood near the passenger side.

I would find a place to mount it to the inside passenger side fender under the hood.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/heated-windshield-washer-nozzels.4036/

if you have wires with that hose headed up the hood, you may have heated washer fluid nozzles.

but the external heater might be nice anyway.

now where you are going to put that espar, is another issue.

superskid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Espar is done and installed, had to take off front driver tire to mount it, but it ran all winter perfectly. (I didn't install it)

The Alpha-therm is pretty small, I'm sure I can come up with somewhere to mount it.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if you want to look under that black plastic, just pull the gasket off the front. goes back on pretty easy, just pay attention to the small foam parts at each end.