Help ! Injector Pump Seal Leaks

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
I believe dieselgeek.com, idparts.com, and worldimpex have the fuel temp sensor.

Awesome so no vag com required for the top cover seal. Any information/link to this special bit? Also any detials on the fuel temp sensor? I'm all for preventative maintenence.

tmamike

TDI
'86 Jetta, '96 Ford f250
OK, here we go. I am new to TDIclub. I am owner of a couple ov VWs, as well as service manager of a diesel fuel shop in GA.
I have a customer's '96 Jetta with the fuel leak at F.I.P.
I replaced the top cover oring...still leaks at sensor/module(?) bolted to the side of the pump. This module has a cable running out of the right side and has had silicone run all the way around it in a futile attempt to stop the leak.
I cannot seem to locate the special socket for the tamper proof screw on the module. I do have the top cover socket, but it is larger than the one needed for the module.
We don't work on this model pump in our shop so I have very limited info. What type of seal or gasket is behind the module? And is this seal or gasket in the Bosch pump overhaul kit? Thanks, Mike

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Same part and same price as dieselgeek!

I'm just saying he could get the tool and seal kit together; one stop shopping!

Tony
No argument here. Just trying to show him at least one source. I don't own all of the metalnerd's tools ----- yet.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
I must admit that the crank-yank was almost fun to use with a 42 inch pipe attached to it, and a similar pipe over my 16" 1/2 drive "cheater" bar. Even with my minimal muscles I was able to get to the 66+90 on my B4 with no problem. And the slide hammer..... no more unless a paid endorsement.

98tdicolo

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5speed
Same problem

OK, here we go. I am new to TDIclub. I am owner of a couple ov VWs, as well as service manager of a diesel fuel shop in GA.
I have a customer's '96 Jetta with the fuel leak at F.I.P.
I replaced the top cover oring...still leaks at sensor/module(?) bolted to the side of the pump. This module has a cable running out of the right side and has had silicone run all the way around it in a futile attempt to stop the leak.
I cannot seem to locate the special socket for the tamper proof screw on the module. I do have the top cover socket, but it is larger than the one needed for the module.
We don't work on this model pump in our shop so I have very limited info. What type of seal or gasket is behind the module? And is this seal or gasket in the Bosch pump overhaul kit? Thanks, Mike
Mike did you find the seal or gasket for the side module and socket? I have the same question and can't seem to find the answer? Thanks

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hello: He and I are looking for a different socket and seal,
it is bolted to the side of the IQ positioner with the wires coming out of it.
Link is not good. Any thoughts appreciated.
Dieselgeek said:
This kit contains all possible user-serviceable seals for the TDI injection pump.
This appears to imply your leak is not a "user-serviceable" problem.

Simon

98tdicolo

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta 5speed
Can it be fixed.

This appears to imply your leak is not a "user-serviceable" problem.
Simon
I hope you are wrong. Here is a pic of the module. Can it be sealed and is a socket available. It is different than the top socket. I know Bosch must have them. Thanks.

jjcsnlynn

Veteran Member
TDI
02 & 03 Jetta TDI,99 Beetle TDI, 04 Chevy Duramax 2500HD 4x4
Also don't use lucas fuel injector cleaner it says on the bottle for diesel but I started using it and my injector started leaking. Just giving you guys a heads up.
I started using this this summer and now mine is leaking. I'm not sure it's because of the additive or just wear.

Truckeratlarge

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 97, white
I had been using LUCAS in my Passat since 2001. My fuel pump didn't start leaking until Thanksgiving Day 2010. I can't believe this additive is suspect if I got away with using it faithfully for 9 years.

How faithfully, you ask... Every month I would get home from driving my rig, and I would pump fuel into the gallon jugs I couldn't empty into my rig. With a nice swish around of the jug, I could be sure to get nearly all of the additive into my car, as I didn't want to waste it all over the fuel tank of the truck trying to tip the bottle upside down. With a million miles on the truck (still running strong after a rebuild at 385k due to a bad head), and a couple of hundred thousand on the car (before it's pump failed), I think we should consider other areas to blame for these seals failing.

nh nam vet

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 97 Passats , 02 Jetta
First of all, I have to say THANK YOU to both club members and vendors runonbeer (Robby Plenge, www.runonbeer.com) and dieselgeek (Jim Royston, www.dieselgeek.com) for producing and making available on YouTube the seven videos on how to replace the 3 prone to leak seals on the Bosch diesel injection pump. I probably wouldn’t have attempted this seal replacement without these instructional videos.
With 262,000 miles on my 1997 Passat, my TDI developed a head pump seal leak, splattering destruction on two 3 way hoses and one water pump to radiator hose. Repeating their demonstration, I replaced both my quantity adjuster bottom seal and head pump seal with the seals provided in the Bosch Seal Kit P/N: 2 467 010 003-002. I’m thinking: Problem Solved.
Much to my surprise after a couple of weeks of routine driving, that familiar diesel smell returns along with, you guessed it, a head pump seal leak! I was careful when removing the original seal with a pick to not score or scratch the head seal groove; therefore, I was certain that I did not create a seal failure scenario. Now I am thinking that maybe, just maybe, I should have installed the runonbeer/dieselgeek recommended more impervious to failure Viton seal instead of the Bosch (green) seal. So I ordered a pair of the Viton head seals from dieselgeek and repeated the whole process a SECOND TIME. I’m thinking: I sure hope this works.
About two weeks of driving later…. don’t say it!!! Yes, it’s sad, but true: drip, drip, drip. OK, now I’m frustrated, but I will solve this problem. I grab my budget metal rule and cheapo, but accurate Brookstone plastic caliper. I had replaced the injection pump top cover a couple of years ago, when it started leaking and had bought the Bosch Seal kit then, so I had both an original Bosch O ring and the second Viton O ring seal to compare measurements. Both O rings measured almost exactly the same actual inside diameter (I.D.) of 60.0 mm. The green Bosch O ring thickness (actual cross section) looked like 2.5 mm thick. The Viton seal was skinnier; it looked like 2.3 mm thick. Unfortunately, I didn’t have access to a micrometer.
I surfed to www.marcorubber.com and found that O-Rings have a Standard AS568 for sizing. Using their Sizing Chart, I concluded that the AS568-142 is the correct/actual size O ring (59.99 mm I.D. with 2.36 mm thickness). I searched the sizing charts and found that the next thicker (fatter) O ring was the AS568-229: still 59.92 mm I.D. but now with a 3.53 mm thickness. I bought both the Buna and Viton types (AS568-229) and installed the Buna. I coated this O ring with Vaseline and slowly and evenly tightened the four head pump screws to return the pump head into the pump body without stripping threads.
So far, so good: no leaks. I did have to insert a new M6 x 45mm bolt with Permatex threadlocker Blue on it to replace the lower front pump head bolt that vibrated out. Also, I did have to replace the two copper washers on both sides of the top cover banjo fuel line fitting that were worn out and dripping diesel. One final note, after you have blindly aligned the quantity adjuster (peg into hole) onto the pump body, do not then attach your steel fuel injector lines. After you’ve primed the pump with the MityVac, throw a rag in front of the pump head and then crank the starter. If you did not correctly align the peg into the hole, you won’t get any diesel shooting out onto your rag. Ask me how I know. Then connect up your lines and continue with VAG-COM injector Quantity adjustment.
One more time, Thank You, Thank You: Robby and Jim. EDIT: NO LEAKS 278K!!

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
First of all, I have to say THANK YOU to both club members and vendors runonbeer (Robby Plenge, www.runonbeer.com) and dieselgeek (Jim Royston, www.dieselgeek.com) for producing and making available on YouTube the seven videos on how to replace the 3 prone to leak seals on the Bosch diesel injection pump. I probably wouldn’t have attempted this seal replacement without these instructional videos.
With 262,000 miles on my 1997 Passat, my TDI developed a head pump seal leak, splattering destruction on two 3 way hoses and one water pump to radiator hose. Repeating their demonstration, I replaced both my quantity adjuster bottom seal and head pump seal with the seals provided in the Bosch Seal Kit P/N: 2 467 010 003-002. I’m thinking: Problem Solved.
Much to my surprise after a couple of weeks of routine driving, that familiar diesel smell returns along with, you guessed it, a head pump seal leak! I was careful when removing the original seal with a pick to not score or scratch the head seal groove; therefore, I was certain that I did not create a seal failure scenario. Now I am thinking that maybe, just maybe, I should have installed the runonbeer/dieselgeek recommended more impervious to failure Viton seal instead of the Bosch (green) seal. So I ordered a pair of the Viton head seals from dieselgeek and repeated the whole process a SECOND TIME. I’m thinking: I sure hope this works.
About two weeks of driving later…. don’t say it!!! Yes, it’s sad, but true: drip, drip, drip. OK, now I’m frustrated, but I will solve this problem. I grab my budget metal rule and cheapo, but accurate Brookstone plastic caliper. I had replaced the injection pump top cover a couple of years ago, when it started leaking and had bought the Bosch Seal kit then, so I had both an original Bosch O ring and the second Viton O ring seal to compare measurements. Both O rings measured almost exactly the same actual inside diameter (I.D.) of 60.0 mm. The green Bosch O ring thickness (actual cross section) looked like 2.5 mm thick. The Viton seal was skinnier; it looked like 2.3 mm thick. Unfortunately, I didn’t have access to a micrometer.
I surfed to www.marcorubber.com and found that O-Rings have a Standard AS568 for sizing. Using their Sizing Chart, I concluded that the AS568-142 is the correct/actual size O ring (59.99 mm I.D. with 2.36 mm thickness). I searched the sizing charts and found that the next thicker (fatter) O ring was the AS568-229: still 59.92 mm I.D. but now with a 3.53 mm thickness. I bought both the Buna and Viton types and installed the Buna. I coated this O ring with Vaseline and slowly and evenly tightened the four head pump screws to return the pump head into the pump body without stripping threads.
So far, so good: no leaks. I did have to insert a new M6 x 45mm bolt with Permatex threadlocker Blue on it to replace the lower front pump head bolt that vibrated out. Also, I did have to replace the two copper washers on both sides of the top cover banjo fuel line fitting that were worn out and dripping diesel. One final note, after you have blindly aligned the quantity adjuster (peg into hole) onto the pump body, do not then attach your steel fuel injector lines. After you’ve primed the pump with the MityVac, throw a rag in front of the pump head and then crank the starter. If you did not correctly align the peg into the hole, you won’t get any diesel shooting out onto your rag. Ask me how I know. Then connect up your lines and continue with VAG-COM injector Quantity adjustment.
One more time, Thank You, Thank You: Robby and Jim.
I wish I had seen this thread sooner - I just went through the equally frustrating experience. I ordered both thicknesses in Viton from the web site you mentioned. Many thanks for your research!

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI L4 - 1.9L vin F 116ci 1896cc type AHU - MFI DIESEL SOHC Turbo-charged 5 speed MANUAL TRANNY
Hello,

I did the whole thing as dieselgeek video shows. It was awesome to be able to place my lil iPod in top of the cam streaming the videos while I worked. How generous are these guys!

All in order, aligned the QA with jbweld and after priming everything, the at fires up and stalls after 2 seconds.

My plan was to do this job and after done take it to a shop near by to bring the QA to 3-5mg using the vag com and hammer mod. Cheap service.

But can't do if car isn't moving.

Advice please.
:)

-To be everything, be nobody.

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI L4 - 1.9L vin F 116ci 1896cc type AHU - MFI DIESEL SOHC Turbo-charged 5 speed MANUAL TRANNY
I got it to move, QA needed like 3mm towards the driver side.

My two cents, get 2@ 45mm M6-1.00 Allen screws. Those shallow T30s suck!!

kmunigle

TDI
98 jetta
leaky pump

Help I have the same leaky black box on the pump. Info please. No more Lucas for me either. Some one put a pic up on previous page.

Last edited:

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
Help I have the same leaky black box on the pump. Info please. No more Lucas for me either. Some one put a pic up on previous page.
Hey, there is tons of info here, just take your time and search and research.

As stated before, changing those 3 seals is the way to go.

I used the JB weld technique to line up the quantity adjuster.

I recommend you to get 2 45mm m6-1.00 Allen screws to replace the shallow head T30s and one 55mm to use as a safety stop.

Also, remove the skid plate before hand in case you drop something and place an old bed sheet under the engine to find whatever you drop.

I have a set of extension magnets and pick up tools, they were crucial to get stuff I dropped.

I think you need:

- a 12point 22mm to turn crank the engine
- T30 quality socket, maybe an angled wrench. maybe T25 for a bracket screw.
- 17mm open wrench for the injector hard lines.
- metalnerd special triangular socket
- I used my braker bar
- set of screw drivers.
- I think I used 10,13mm for various bolts and nuts.
- 8mm and 24mm (maybe 23mm) open wrenches for shut off solenoid.
- set of dental pics.
-Duck tape to cover head while replacing its seal.
- a bit of grease or petroleum jelly.
- blue tape to protect the injectors and head lines.
- a couple of cans of brake fluid
- many, many rags.
- mity vac or similar vac pump to get the fuel inside the ip and prime the ip.
- beer and women to celebrate afterwards.

vgmnstr

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Bettle TDI
Is there any kind of seal or fitting for the bit between the high pressure fuel line and the pump head? I see fuel coming out in that area. Either from that fitting (into the head), or coming past the head seal into the bolt hole. I have a seal kit coming for the head/body, but in event that is not the source of the leak, any advice?

vgmnstr

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 New Bettle TDI
After a little work, it turned out that neither the head/body seal or the fittings into the head. I pulled the fittings (part #58 in the diagram http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/Manual_Pump_Parts.pdf) and changed the washers (#54). Turns out the leak was coming from the end cap (130). Cringe as you may, a set of curved jaw channel locks worked great to get the cap off. Changed the seal (129) and no more leaks. I was fortunate to have a spare pump sitting on the bench, so I had nothing to loose removing the cap. If the tool was available on the market, or you are mechanically skilled enough to craft one, it would save your struggle with pliers. But the seal can be changed on the car.

dieseldrive

TDI
2001 Jetta
I hope you are wrong. Here is a pic of the module. Can it be sealed and is a socket available. It is different than the top socket. I know Bosch must have them. Thanks.
This This "box" cannot be removed from the QA housing. It is basically an adapter housing that seals the wires into the Q/A housing. The wire leads on the inside of the pump are solid wires that are welded (not soldered) to the stand-off assembly. It is very rare to develop a leak here because there are actually two seals behind the "black box", but if you do, you are out of luck and will need another pump (the seals are not available from Bosch because the Q/A assembly is considered by Bosch to be non-serviceable because the special process used to weld the wires inside cannot be duplicated in the field.

dieseldrive

TDI
2001 Jetta
Injection pump reseal service

Click http://www.ebay.com/itm/251430794858?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 for top quality reseal service for your TDI injjection pump by a true professional. Full disclosure - I am the the person who is offering the service, and have been a factory trained Diesel Fuel Injection technician since 1982, but the reason I am posting this info here is due to reading all of the stories of pumps being resealed and then having Q/A codes and perfromance problems. The service offered here is to replace all of the seals in your pump except for the black box seals on the side of the Q/A, and those rarely leak), including the drive shaft seal, which includes removing and reinstalling the drive hub (on ALH pumps) in the exactly correct position (which is insures static timing is back to original specifications). You will NOT have to perform any Q/A corrections with the VAGCOM. This can only be done by installing the Q/A housing back in the exact same position as it was before it was removed to replace the seal beneath it; I use a jig and depth micrometer that enables me to install the housing within .0005" inches of original (half a thousandth of an inch) which will result in proper performance without having to "fudge" your ECU into thinking the Q/A is back to spec (which can't always be done). Contrary to popular belief, the Q/A housing position is part of the pumps calibration by Bosch when it was built new, and once that setting is lost, it is very difficult to get it back to original with having a Bosch Diesel shop recailbrate the pump. The service has been offered on Ebay since 2007 with hundreds of satisfied customers (100% satisfaction). Check it out, and drop me a note if you have questions.

Last edited:

papasmurf

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 jetta tdi, 2004 passat sedan tdi, 2005 passat wagon tdi , 2005 passat sedan tdi
Just did my 3 seals a couple of days ago. Wasn't bad except had one bolt that I couldn't see where it went without a mirror. Also primed the pump at first, it would start then die. I then took a mental break and after 2 hours it dawned on me. I went outside at about midnight, primed the injection pump like the diesel geeks did in the video and it fired right up.

No more leaking all over everything plus I got rid of a couple dead spots in the lower rpm range

BioNerd

Veteran Member
TDI
the video is in youtube bro, just take the time to check it out. super clear!