Help ! Injector Pump Seal Leaks

Loaf

TDI
1998 TDI Jetta, 1986/88 NA Diesel Jetta
Everything went smooth. This forum rules! I never would have tried this without the info I found here.
Just had the car on the vag-com (thanks Trevor) and set the IQ to 4.4 (it was 2.0 this morining). The only snafu was when I dropped my homemade anti-tamper socket and it landed below the pump. Took a while to fish it out. The Jetta seemes to run pretty well no leaks yet!

mbraden

TDI
10 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Hi,

I had visited here some months ago due to a leaky injection pump, purchased the recommended seal kits, but chickened out and had a mechanic do the installation of the new injection pump on my '03 Jetta TDI. All was well on a 2,500 mile trip after the install but sometime after I returned I got a check engine light with an ODB code of P0252 - Injection Pump Fuel metering control A Range/Performance. I was also getting various codes related to glow plug circuit 1,2,4, P0671, P0674, etc. codes - Numerous trips to numerous mechanics have only resulted in me spending money with no final solution. The same codes have returned. Most recently the VW dealer replaced the Glow Plug Harness ($430 parts and labor) and said that an additional harness may need to be replaced at around $250. A new mechanic stated that harness problems are common with this year/model. Any wisdom on this for me? I feel like I'm flushing money down the toilet with no fix. . . perhaps this question should be on another topic?

Thanks,

Michael

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Not that I have any answers for you, but did the mechanic put a seal kit in your pump? Or did you buy a new one? The glow plug harness is notorious for going bad, and the glow plugs will too. it does sound like you need to find a mechanic that knows TDI's, and unfortunately VW dealers are often clueless about TDI's. I would recommend you go to this thread and see if there is someone close by that can help you:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=130044

mbraden

TDI
10 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Ray,

The mechanic put in a new injection pump . . . didn't want to attempt a seal replacement as he had never done one and had heard horror stories about doing it. I have, since the post above, been to the glow plug code/harness topics and will perform glow plug checks and oxidation cleaning procedures today, then clear codes and hope the P0252 and glow plug codes do not return. If they do, I'll check in with a local mechanic if there is one on the thread mentioned, or I have another one I have contacted that I will try.

Thanks,

Michael

mbraden

TDI
10 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
Update,

I did the glow plug resistance check and found one that was over recommended spec and two that are borderline. I had a glow plug that I pulled some time ago, thinking that it was bad, but put it back in and tested and it was fine, so I erased the codes and am waiting to see . . . hopefully neither will return. So far so good, since Sunday.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
The two that were borderline would be fine to leave in place. What you are looking for, is a significant change in resistance. i.e. an open circuit.

Tony

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
From what I've seen:

0.2 ohms difference is usually enough to get flagged from my experience. For example if 3 are 0.7 ohms and 1 is 0.9 ohms, that 0.9 one will get flagged on a 4 wire harness equipped vehicle, 2 wire harness might slip through but might not also and in that case both 1-2 or 3-4 would get flagged wherever the bad one was.

mbraden, you might want to consider finding someone else to service your vehicle based on what you've said. Stop financing a broken system, you're not getting the proper (service provided)/(cost) ratio. ;)

Did I just post glow plug information on a pump head seal thread? Ugh.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
JGG...yes, you did!

You may now notify a moderator and make amends! ;)

Just poking a little fun! We've all had a little oops from time to time! :rolleyes:

Tony

vman858

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 jetta
That was my premise for attempting the seal replacement without vag.com using the JB WELD method.
I used the JB Weld and then took a magnifying glass and took a close look at the jb as some got broke etc during my work. Motor started right up and ran as before. No Vag com

Thanks

goldandblack

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI 97 Passat
Injector leak, 97 TDI Passat

Just got the bad news that my TDI Passat injector needs to be replaced or new gaskets to replace the old ones. VW informs me a new injector will be $1500 + labor. So I am guessing I have a $2000-$2500 range problem. My 97 TDI has 187,214 miles on it and it has been a wonderful car. I am between a rock and a hard place in what to do. I wonder if I bought a new pump and did the replacement would be a way to go ? I took my Passat in because it was losing power. Some turbo hoses have been replaced and carbon cleaned out and I was able to drive it home with the leaking injector but now I have to decide what to do now. The car has been like family and I am debating about pouring $2 to $3 thousand into the car. Any suggestions from any of you wise TDIers ?:(

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Overall, I recommend you find a trusted guru near you. You city/area is not listed, so I can't quite point you to someone.

Just got the bad news that my TDI Passat injector needs to be replaced or new gaskets to replace the old ones. VW informs me a new injector will be $1500 + labor. So I am guessing I have a $2000-$2500 range problem.
No, you don't have a $2k-$3k problem. A fresh SET of 4 injectors is NOT that expensive. At most, I would epxect to pay ~$1k

Better yet, here's a trusted injector testing & balancing service, For <$200!

The downside is that you need to send your injectors in, so your car will be down until the injectors get shipped back to you.

It shouldn't take more than 1-2hr to R&R the injectors, including a probable IQ adjustment.

I wonder if I bought a new pump and did the replacement would be a way to go? I took my Passat in because it was losing power.
A new pump is not necessarily needed, unless there are QA or Fuel temp related codes that are recurring. Or, if the pump is leaking profusely from the shaft seal.

187K miles is not high miles for these cars. My Passat is at 177K and still going strong. I'm hoping to get to ~300k miles.

I took my Passat in because it was losing power. Some turbo hoses have been replaced and carbon cleaned out and I was able to drive it home with the leaking injector but now I have to decide what to do now.
Where exactly is the leak? Which injector is leaking? Got a picture?

Power loss can be from MANY sources on these cars. Just last monday, I had a power loss on my Passat; turned out the rodents chewed thru one of the pressure control lines to the turbo. Cost me about 20 minutes of inspection and $0!

Tony

goldandblack

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI 97 Passat
Tony,
The injector pump is my problem. It is leaking, it looks to me, from the top seal. The garage that is looking at my problem got the $1500 price for a new injector pump in calling VW. I don't think I have injector problems.
I took it in with the problem of loss of power, could not get over 70 mph and it took along time to get up to that speed, very slugglish and I thought it to be a turbo problem. They didn't think it a turbo problem but replaced hoses and I drove the car home (with leaking injector pump) and the car was peppy and much improved. Have not taken it out on the highway and opened it up yet.
I wonder if VW is the only place to go for a new injection pump ? For next few days I will keep it parked and do some looking for answers to my problem before I make a decision on the next move.
Another problem that has come up with the 97 TDI Passat is the head liner is coming down. Not in just one area but all the way. I have some contact tape (both sides) that I am going to use to get it back up and on the inside of the roof. It probably wont look to nice but I think it will do for the time being.
Thanks Tony for your suggestions, I appreciate !
Bob :)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob,
Where are you located? I just need a state & major city for reference.

A guru can get the pump rebuilt at DFIS in Portland, Or. That service starts about $700 and goes up, depending on what is wrong.

Also, most gurus can do a pump reseal for a lot less than a full pump rebuild. I have done this myself with excellent results for the last ~30k miles. The seal kit is available from several TDI suppliers, dieselgeek.com for example.

Tony

goldandblack

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI 97 Passat
Tony,
I live in Evansville Indiana (on The Ohio River). I am going to check with some salvage yards to see if they have an injection pump. I also found a couple places in middle Indiana that could do a repair. I am not in a big hurry to get it fixed, just want to find the best deal and price for the fix. Thank you for any help you can pass on to me. :) Bob

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bob,
There are quite a few TDI guru's in and around Ohio and Indiana.

Here's a post for you.

Tony

Big Man

TDI
2017 Passat R line 1.9, 97 B4 1.9 Passat 240,000
I replaced the middle seal on the Injection Quantity body/ cover. Put it back together and now the car runs for a second or two then dies. I have air bubbles in the feed line and as soon as the car dies the fuel flows back towards the filter. I'm getting fuel at the injectors. I did this before reading anything on here. No VAG-COM. No markings on the pump. Will the VAG-COM help me???????????

Big Man

TDI
2017 Passat R line 1.9, 97 B4 1.9 Passat 240,000
Thanks Tony. Using the hammer mod I got it running. Took it for a test drive and noticed power loss. Still trying to locate a VCDS in my area. Might have to buy one.

Brett

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Would this be the common top cover seal??

Short story. Went out to start the car today and it took quite a few tries. Once it started I noticed loud knocking/tapping from the engine. Mainly the injectors/injection pump. Upon closer inspection I found the diesel fuel and there was a large quantity of air bubbles in the line. So I suspect this top cover is allowing air into the system.

What exactly do I need for this top cover seal replacement. Unforunately it seems there's both usefull and very confusing information in this thread.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Yes, I believe that is the correct seal for the top. You do not need VCDS to do only the top seal. Might want to replace the fuel temp sensor while you are in there. You will need the Metalnerd tool/special triangular bit.

Will this work on a 1996 IP? You never specified the years?

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
Awesome so no vag com required for the top cover seal. Any information/link to this special bit? Also any detials on the fuel temp sensor? I'm all for preventative maintenence.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I just checked and didn't see the special socket on metalnerd.com

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try again: look under speacialty bits and drivers, PN MN3001

Tony

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
YES! Try the 'vag-com locater' sticky at the top of TDI101. If you want to buy your own, http://ross-tech.com/

You will need to reset the IQ via hammer mod.

Vag-Com (now VCDS) is REQUIRED anytime you are taking the QA housing of the IP apart.

Tony
What is the cheapest base model needed for our cars? They list a ton of difference variats of VCDS on their site? What kit is needed for my car?

I think this is the right one:

http://www.ross-tech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VCKII&Category_Code=VAGCOM

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That IS the cheapest you can buy from Ross Tech, that will work for the older VW's.

However, if you have ANY inkling of buying a newer VW, i.e. >2003, I would seriously consider buying the HEX-CAN interface. I have one and it does work on my '06 and '96.

Tony