Help, I need to see any VW or Audi engine block near Columbia or Orangeburg, SC.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
I am planning a project for my TDI motor. I want to put it into a Porsche 944 but I need to confirm the bolt patterns. I have access to a 944 bell housing but need to see any VW or Audi engine block to match it up to. Doe anyone near Orangeburg or Columbia have a block laying around? A transmission would work but not be as good. Thanks. - Dave

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Not the same bolt pattern, not even close.

The original 924 engine *might* be, as that was a VAG 4 cyl, but it was NOT an EA827 series engine, so I kinda doubt it.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
The thing is that they use an Audi Transmission in the back of the 944.

I have seen that 924 in Sweden with the 5 cylinder TDI motor in it. I might be able to work something with the 924 bell housing into the 944 or I could just go for a 924.

I found some more info. I am not to sharp on all the VW lingo but it seems that all VW have the same bolt pattern but not all Audi's may. So there is an adapter for the Audi bolt pattern (831) to fit an EA829. The bolt patterns are also the same for the 924 or 944 torque tubes so those could be swapped if needed?

http://www.924board.org/viewtopic.php?t=25899

Last edited:

piper109

Veteran Member
It used to be that there are 2 VAG engine mounting patterns. All the 4 cyl VW engines (water cooled) have the same pattern and all the Audi and VW 5 and 6 cylinder engines have another very different pattern, used in Porsche water cooled also. I do not know if that is true for the newer 5 cylinder engines

An adapter can be obtained from Kennedy Engineering.

Steve

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The VAG trans in the rear of the 924/944 has its own little bellhousing/adapter thing, and yes that is an out-of-the-box VAG 5/6 cyl bolt pattern. But that is not what we are talking about here.

The torque tube is just a little square 4-bolt deal. What you need is the front bellhouse that bolts to the engine block, then in turn bolts to the torque tube.

I did not think the early 924 VAG 2.0L engine had the same bolt pattern as the later 924S/944 Porsche engine, because that was a popular swap back in the day (the Porsche engine into the early 924) but I remember everyone saying you MUST get the Porsche engine's clutch housing (bellhousing) or it won't work.

Now, it is very possible, like I said in my first post, that the VAG 2.0L pattern is the same as some other VAG engines, like the 5/6 cyl.

Some longitudinal VAG transmissions actually have dual bolt patterns for both the 4 cyl and the 5/6 cyl.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
I was at Eurowerks in Matthews, NC today and got to look at an Audi 5 cylinder block and a 944 block with the bell housing attached. They were different. The Audi pattern has a round shape to it and the 944 pattern is more of a rectangular shape. I was also told that the 944 motor will not bolt into the 924 but would be the same as the 924s. I was told the bell housings and torque tubes would have to be swapped. I was told the torque tubes would bolt to any differential unless you have an older "snail shell" but in this case you could just replace the transmission also. So basicly if you can mount the engine to a 924 or 944 that you can arrange parts so that the engine can be put into a 924 or 944.

I did not see any adapters for installing a VW watercooled engine onto a 944 or 924 bell housing. I only saw adapters to fit 911 and classic bug transmissions.

http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=665
This is the 034 adapter plate. So now we just need to confirm that the quattro bolt pattern is the same as a 924 or a 944 bell housing.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3360802
http://www.944-20v.nl/

Seems to be a lot of info out there but no one that has done the project. I would like to sort this out. So does Audi only have 2 bolt patterns for the last 30 years? There are a lot of sources on the net of some saying you can and some saying you can't.