help! front brake caliper mounting bolt threads stripped?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Helicoil?
What Size?
These are the LARGE bolts ( 2 of them ) that hold the entire caliper to the hub

These are NOT The small guide pins.

What size kit and will it tell me what size drill bits to use to put the helicoil back in?

Do I need new sized bolts or will I use the old ones? Thanks!
Peter

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Take the bolt to lowes. use the thread gauge to find what it is. or if someone has that knowledge here
order some helicoils in a kit. usually the amazon reviews will tell you if the drill is not the right size. For Steel... totally fine. aluminum is less forgiving.
timeserts are $$$ plan on $150 for TimeSert or $50 for helicoil Both do great and im a helicoil kind of guy and have had better results with them.
either kit will repair the thread back to the original threads it once had.
also HOW THE HECK did you strip that out?
if it was me, i would just replace the knuckle.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
The stock TDI front brake callipers are held to the steering knuckle by the sliding guide pins, and indeed, they have an odd-ball thread size (M9x1.25 - helicoil #5546-9) - part #5 in the diagram below.

The only way you'd have "big" bolts holding on the caliper (actually the carrier) is if you have a "big brake" upgrade (off a 1.8t or VR6) - which had a different brake arrangement on their steering knuckles (and you'd be looking for threads on part #10 below - I'm guessing them to be M10x1.5).

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Take the bolt to lowes. use the thread gauge to find what it is. or if someone has that knowledge here
order some helicoils in a kit. usually the amazon reviews will tell you if the drill is not the right size. For Steel... totally fine. aluminum is less forgiving.
timeserts are $$$ plan on $150 for TimeSert or $50 for helicoil Both do great and im a helicoil kind of guy and have had better results with them.
either kit will repair the thread back to the original threads it once had.
also HOW THE HECK did you strip that out?
if it was me, i would just replace the knuckle.
I had one strip before too. It's something you might not even know about until it's time to change your brakes. Bolt screwed in normally but never did tighten up. Just kept turning and turning. But didn't come out if you pulled on it

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
There is also a pin with oversized thread. Check Idparts website for it. Some local parts places may have them also

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Ecs tuning new spindle bearings, dust plate. Short money

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I ran into that while doing an emergency evening brake job so Donna could head to work in the morning. The pin was already oversized and rusted. Fortunately Advanced Auto had one in stock. 13894 is the pin. An insert is BGS 148-1, I don’t think you will find that particular insert though. If you do, post where you found it

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Helicoil never last just as temporary as one use pin fine print says not to reuse

benshaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta bew
you could use half nuts with the same bolts but will need to file the hub surface down (your eye will tell you how much) and use a thin type wrench to hold to tighten up witha bit of threadlock.
(the shop monkey stripped mine cause he used a rattle on the soft cast iron. only found out some years later when i removed caliper).

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
yah sorry should have made it clear.. these are 20AE big brakes.. ill just use of the extra GTi calipers have.. and they were from a junkyard so its possible that the prior owner of these brakes, overtightened them. Ill make sure to use a torque wrench and go to 92 ftlbs.. Thanks everyone