Help finding location of EGR temperature map

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
I am trying to find my EGR temperature map to adjust when the EGR is enabled to save on warm up time and such.

So I think I found it here: 00059B32

However, I have been looking at 5 different original files from Golf 4 ALHs, and they all have zero'd out maps at ~approximately~ that address. I don't think they all would have their EGR's turned off from stock... must I be looking in the wrong spot?

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
If I post my tune, could anyone take a look at it?

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
That is indeed the map. So crazy I ran across so many others that also had zero'd EGR temps. Anyways, now its time to put values in...

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
Ok, so those maps that were filled out, didn't work.
But I got it working despite having differing addresses and 6 of the zeroed maps instead of 3.
Seeing an example mod/ori file from another model, the offset of the EGR map to the Zero map that corresponds to it is pretty close. So I unblanked my EGR and first tried the closest one modded. Example, my EGR is at 5983C, The map I picked was at 59B4E (8x10 with zeros).

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
How do you know if it is working? Have you noticed any differences with the car? If our maps are zero'd, perhaps the EGR was still functioning at high temps. Just a FYI if you have your lengths set in decimal, A0 in hex translates to 160. I searched in EDCSuite and also found a ton of zero'd intake maps. I am assuming you just modified the smallest address map. (Only one?) I have been studying this implementation:

(Original is on top of the modification)

A few thoughts: It is interesting that the map size is actually different... but he says it works. Notice that he changed the x axis to 70 and 80C... 80C should be a bit below our cars operating temp at 176F or so. I would think the higher numbers (1400, 1033) in the beginning would cause quicker warmup than 600, 500, etc. How did you determine what values you were going to use?

He uses 7000 as the cut off value at the end to make sure it is for sure closed. I will be doing what you are though and running values all the way down vertically. I can't see how the 0, and 504 rpm values will cause any change however.

What do you mean at the end, make sure you have a normal EGR map too?

Nice work!

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
Zero means no offset to the egr request. If it asks for 250 mg/s , it will ask that always. These numbers add to the egr request. So, column 1 says 1400, that means it asks for now 250+140= 390 mg/s which is less egr. Of course 7000 means no egr, 250+700=950.. already egr off.

I didn't want to change the axis to let the egr run higher. Just enough to get it into a normal decent temp, like 50 C.

I know mine works because I ran the car to warm up, with egr on with a flash that had the 10x8 150C map set like above, to around 50 shutoff. It didn't shutoff the egr, even though temps were up to 70 or so.

So I shut down, modded those maps back to stock, and picked the ones I posted above (manual, auto, auto4 to be sure - my offset of maps is C000- so you add/subtract C000 hex to get the 3 maps addresses), and flashed it. Turned on the car which was already 70C, and vag com showed egr off! You can check EGR is on/off without vag com, unplug the egr vac line and hear the turbo spool up (egr on). Also you can tell by exhaust flow... egr on - less, egr off- more flow.

I mean make sure your EGR map is back with the values, not the flatlined 850 one used to delete EGR. I used the PD160 egr map, since I have a PD150 egr/intake.

Shizzell

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf 1.9L GL 2dr
Of course 7000 means no egr, 250+700=950.. already egr off.
Gotcha. 850 is the EGR shut off point?

So I shut down, modded those maps back to stock, and picked the ones I posted above (manual, auto, auto4 to be sure - my offset of maps is C000- so you add/subtract C000 hex to get the 3 maps addresses), and flashed it.
So I have 9 maps that are 160 in length. 3 of them have values up to 150C (Which is what you said are not the ones) and I have 6 of them that are zero'd out that max at 49.9. You modified 3 maps the same as what you posted above, is that correct? Are you saying that the offset of the temp EGR is 49152 (C000 in hex) added address of the EGR?

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok it works, I did a cold start and it shut off egr around the 3rd temp mark which I assume is 40-50 C.

Yes 850 is shut off, if they put 850 to flatline out maps, that means that is the point where our ECU gives up. I suppose because on a stock ECU, the airflow never goes above 850 anyway. Some ECU's I have seen 1000, but thats euro PD's. Don't worry about that.

Mmy offset between Manual/Auto/Auto4 is C000. yours may be different. Find that out, subtract EGR manual and EGR auto (or auto 4- some maps different order) to find out. Use an online hex calculator, the windows one works but is a b&^*h

Anyway you see 6 maps. each 2 are close to eachother. The one that is closer to the address of the egr map is the one to change. Example, your egr is 59900, you have 2 maps, one with 59B20 another with 59D32, pick the 59B20 one. With that offset you learned from above, add/subtract it to get the other 2 map addresses for auto/auto4/etc/

Last edited: