Help! Electronic key problem!

tdi1998

TDI
Jetta TDI 1998
I'm planning on leaving for TX this evening and I wanted to make sure I had en extra set of batteries for my key. I opened it up and after finding out what kind of battery it used, I put it back together. I was headed to walmart to pick up some last minute things when I didn't hear the horn beep as usual(when I press lock). So I went back to my Jetta(1998 TDI) and I played with it and when I wouldn't work I went home immediately! Can anyone help me!? I don't want to cancel the trip on account of this!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Just in case you don't know... batteries in the fob are *not* required for starting or driving the car... only for opening the doors remotely.

You can always use the keys manually in the door lock to get into the car... working fob or not. :)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just use the key, that's how we did it in the stone age.

If the remote worked before, you probably got one or both of the batteries up side down.

Try cutting back on the "energy drinks".

tdi1998

TDI
Jetta TDI 1998
Thanks for the quick responses! Ok, here's some more info. The batteries are not upside down. The unlock works fine, and so does the trunk button. I'm not sure if the alarm will sound if I don't use the electronic key or not! I don't want to be stuck somewhere with out it and the alarm going off. So if I can't get it working, I'll still bring it to unlock it if the alarm goes off. This really sucks though. :/

tdi1998

TDI
Jetta TDI 1998
Good news! I found out what was wrong. The computer needed to be reset on the car. I unplugged the battery and waited 10 minutes and it worked as good as new! I figured something was up when I pushed the lock button, it wouldn't start. So I knew the key was working. So then I started to think about why the car would be acting up. So just for kicks I reset the battery and it worked! Thank you Lord! :) Thanks for the input guys!

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
If you ever need to reprogram it here is the instructions:

REMOTE CONTROL CODING FOR CENTRAL LOCKING ANTI-THEFT SYSTEM IN A3 VEHICLES

It's the matching method for remote controls with the central locking anti-theft system of your car. Is possible to match until four remote

NOTE: You need to have the set of two car keys and all remote controls (old and new ones) that you want to program before to start this procedure.

1. Put one of the car keys into the ignition lock and turn it until reach ignition position.

2. Put the second car key into the left door lock. Turn it counter clockwise until reach unlock position. Hold it 10 seconds then you will hear 3 beeps. Release the key.

3. Push any button of first remote control and you will hear 1 beep, push any button of second remote control, and you will hear 2 beeps, and so on. The remote controls that already were delivered to you at moment of new car delivering will be necessary to program again in this moment.

4. Again put the second car key into the left door lock. Turn it counter clockwise until reach unlock position. Hold it 10 seconds then you will hear 3 beeps. Release the key.

5. In this moment your system is prepared to be operated with the all remote controls (old and new ones). You can retrieve the car keys in any order that you desired. controls (old and new ones) by the following procedure

Also if the alarm ever sounds and you can't get it to go off, put the key in the trunk and it will stop.

Last edited:

JamesBa

Veteran Member
TDI
GOLF '02
Dropped remote in water

Will this reprogramming also work if my remote got dunked in water? It doesn't work now, and the replacement part costs over $70! Are you saying I can just reprogram both keys following your instructions?:confused:

drozia

TDI
AFN 1.9 110 hp Cordoba SX
Hello. My 99' Seat Cordoba TDI remote control unit does not response or work with key. I have only one key (buttoned). I tired guiedlines several times for synchronizing key fob but nothing changed. I can only lock the doors manually and anti-thief alarm gets on (red indicator light works). I controlled out batteries and work well, also I replaced another working remote control unit (oem:1L0959800) but nothing has changed. Is there any relay or fuse that effects remote system? or what is the problem?

Last edited:

drozia

TDI
AFN 1.9 110 hp Cordoba SX
Ok so I asked and I'm now replying my answer:)
My key remote control part is damaged. Why because I replaced a working another one and recoded then remote worked. So red light flash does not indicate that remote is working because it does not send radio sound wave inspite of reprogramming (guideline)