HELP!! EGF error... again?!

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Dear all,

I have a 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. It has 63K miles on it.

Early this week, the MIL went on and after taking it to get the code read for free- it was an EGF- insufficient flow. When en route to the mechanic, the Jetta died, and got towed to the mechanic.

Using information found on this website, figured out what it likely was... and sure enough the EGF valve was fine but completely gunked up. So the mechanic (not dealership mechanic either) cleaned it out and sent us on our merry way. They said it was illegal for them to change the settings as instructed in one of the FAQs.

Well... the MIL light is back on. Same error message. What's the deal?? Neither my husband or I want to get stuck on the side of the road again. Nor do we enjoy paying hundreds of dollars to have something not fixed. What are your suggestions?

Thanks,
-Stephanie

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
You probably need the entire intake manifold cleaned out not just the EGR valve, and you may need a new mass air flow sensor.