Help diagnose a bearing/belt noise (with video)

martin_prince

TDI
new beetle tdi
First, I want to say that I researched this extensively before making this post.
The car is a 2000 new beetle, manual trans, 119,000 miles, TB done at 78,000 miles in 2012. This was a 60,000 mile belt originally, it was WAY overdue when I bought it. Had it serviced at one of the recommended companies from this site (Robert's in Mountville, PA), they assured me they would use only OEM quality parts, the belt itself is a Contitech.
My car developed a slight noise over the winter that sounds like a worn bearing, or poorly tracking belt. There are two very specific symptoms about it though: it only does it after the car is warmed up, and it only does it at idle. If it is brought slightly off idle, the noise goes away.
I initially checked over things with my mechanic's stethoscope and heard a noise in the serpentine belt tensioner. So, I bought a replacement and a new alt. pulley to do at the same time. The tensioner pulley was definitely worn, essentially had no grease in it and spun very freely, and was generally not very smooth. I thought for sure that was the problem. All other accessories and the idler pulley all spin very nicely, and seem to be in good shape. After reassembling with a new belt, the noise is still there.
As I mentioned, I did a lot of research on this page. I read of a lot of people who had success with a touch of candle wax on the edge of the belt. I tried this (on the outermost edge) and it changed nothing. I also heard of people dripping water on the backside of the belt and this making the noise go away briefly. This also did nothing.
Here are two videos of the car idling, one with the belt cover on, and one with it off. As far as I can tell, the noise seems to emanate from the back corner of the engine, closest to the passenger side strut tower.
Cover off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2HEVYpgE8A
Cover on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKfaZ-pap70

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I cant play a you tube video on on old iPad anymore. So humor me a second. Did you try and start the car with the serpentine belt off? If you do that and the noise is not present it's something in the serpentine belt path.

I'm assuming you tried the wax and water trick on the timing belt, correct? If so that would change the sound if the belt wasn't tracking quite right, but probably wouldnt have much effect on a bearing.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Well it doesn't sound terrible. With a hose in your ear or a stethoscope, you should be able to isolate.

martin_prince

TDI
new beetle tdi
I cant play a you tube video on on old iPad anymore. So humor me a second. Did you try and start the car with the serpentine belt off? If you do that and the noise is not present it's something in the serpentine belt path.

I'm assuming you tried the wax and water trick on the timing belt, correct? If so that would change the sound if the belt wasn't tracking quite right, but probably wouldnt have much effect on a bearing.
Definitely makes the noise with the serpentine belt removed. Also, as mentioned, I tried both the wax trick and the water drop trick. Neither did anything.

I used my stethoscope to listen to all sorts of metal parts around the engine bay. The only place I hear anything that sounds like the noise is on the bolt that holds the top most roller to the IP bracket. That doesn't seem to match where the noise comes from with the stethoscope off, as it seems to be more toward the back, below the cam gear.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I would have trusted he stethoscope and shot that bearing with some high quality spray lube. That may not have worked anyway, those are sealed bearings.
Sounds like you'll have it sorted out soon!

martin_prince

TDI
new beetle tdi
I would have trusted he stethoscope and shot that bearing with some high quality spray lube. That may not have worked anyway, those are sealed bearings.
Sounds like you'll have it sorted out soon!
I thought about doing that, but it's a cartridge bearing, and I'm not crazy about getting petroleum (or any) lubricants on the timing belt. Nothing is visibly wrong with the roller or bearing in it.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I thought about doing that, but it's a cartridge bearing, and I'm not crazy about getting petroleum (or any) lubricants on the timing belt. Nothing is visibly wrong with the roller or bearing in it.
Better to have piece of mind then to be stressing out over it. At least now you know.

martin_prince

TDI
new beetle tdi
Took the car in, they recommended changing the belt as I suspected. Turns out it was a failing bearing in the largest diameter idler pulley, the one right next to the water pump. Sucks to spend $1200 that way, but at least I know the car can be trusted again.

TDI
mk1 Seat Leon FR PD150
Damn, my PD150 has recently starting making the exact same noise even after replacing the alternator, tensioner and belt.
Again like yours the timing belt isn't due with only 35k covered...rubbish!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk