Help determining whether it is worth to repair a 2002 GOLF GLS TDI for $3K+

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The brake job isn't the big deal.
Its the grand for a detailing job! That's bs.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Hi forum,
We have come to an impasse and are hopeful for feedback from folks who love the TDI as much as we have. The Golf has served us well as a family car since 2002.

Minor repairs and not much spent on upkeep. Have done major repairs like timing belt, etc. Car has 115K. We drive once a week or so and more during the summer for vacation.

We have it in the garage for new brakes and a leak, and are told that it needs a lot more work including suspension work. The bid for all repairs is about $3600 or so. Considering blue book is under $3, we are wondering if it is worth the repair.
The detailed bid is:

Diagnostic: $60
Brakes: Front pads and rotors are low and rusted $600 rears are about the same $520
Need to clean the seals on the right rear door $280
All of the door seals are a mess and the car could use a serious detail (our call on that): $500
The left front wheel bearing has play. Will need bearing and hub $500
Front suspension needs work. The lower control arm bushings are separated and ball joints have play $980 will need alignment with the suspension work $130
oil change $96
I'm seriously in the wrong business. Time to get myself registered as a vendor on here, because I could do all that stuff far cheaper but still make money.

FWIW, I'm actually rebuilding a 2002 Golf TDI right now, but for myself as a spare car. I think the only thing in the engine compartment that I haven't replaced is the engine and power steering pump.

I'm still in shock over these prices. Changing the lower control arms isn't hard. IDparts or Cascade sells each one for under $90 apiece, cheaper if you buy just the bushing (I'm not there yet, pressing my own bushings in). Installing them is super easy, unless you have a spinning nut in your subframe, but it's still not mission impossible.

Holy crap to the brake prices!!!!! I'm upgrading all the brakes on my 2002 Golf to Akebono pads, and in this case, I got a steal of a deal on Eurospec rotors (would've preferred Zimmerman, but oh well). Parts are what, like under $300 for all four wheels? And honestly, labor is maybe 2 hours tops. Even at $120/hr labor rate, or whatever most shops charge these days, that's crazy markup on parts, and who knows what they're billing for labor.

You need to find yourself a new shop...

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I could literally write a book on failed or botched attempts at things, I'm not trying to start a war here, I was just rationalizing the cost quoted by the OP for the brake job that was not at all out of line. And again, anyone that thinks it is, PLEASE, open up your own shop or join up with one that is already established. We really need the labor, bad. If it is so easy, why can't we find a tech to fill the vacancy in our shop? We pay well. Nice, clean, air conditioned shop, built from scratch and moved in January 2015. No weekends. Above average pay in an area that has below average cost of living.
If I lived in Missouri, I might take you up on that. I didn't read the whole thread before responding, but I also hate seeing people give up on TDIs because of high repair estimates by shops.

Still jealous you have an air conditioned shop. I have plans to build a barn/garage over my driveway, but for now, I'm at the mercy of shade/cooler weather, and it's frustrating.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Holy crap to the brake prices!!!!! I'm upgrading all the brakes on my 2002 Golf to Akebono pads, and in this case, I got a steal of a deal on Eurospec rotors (would've preferred Zimmerman, but oh well). Parts are what, like under $300 for all four wheels? And honestly, labor is maybe 2 hours tops. Even at $120/hr labor rate, or whatever most shops charge these days, that's crazy markup on parts, and who knows what they're billing for labor.
Could you do all four corners in 2 hours? Maybe, but you won't do this for too many customers before you realize you need to quote more than two hours for this job.

Mcgink

Veteran Member
TDI
I-Red,"The Passat formerly known as Harlequin" 97 B4, a non VW GTDI too
Working on a car sitting on the ground in a driveway is a far cry from a well equipped shop. Since I'm getting too old for that these days, it's more important that things get fixed right at fair rate. No-one wants to be gouged but expect what's fair and reasonable for the work being done. Nothing worse than paying top buck and getting your buggy back "Botched" . The do-over ends up costing more.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
2 hours.... no i do not think so.
you are not factoring the time for the parts to get to you, dealing with a customer, getting the car up on a lift and doing the work and a test drive. 3 hours is a decent time for the job but all the other stuff adds up and thats what the shop must pay for.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
That's more like it two for the rear and one for the front. When I do rears it always seems like just about every tool I own comes out for them.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
That's more like it two for the rear and one for the front. When I do rears it always seems like just about every tool I own comes out for them.
Touche. Maybe it might take a little more time, I dunno. I guess I never fully timed it.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It usually goes fast. But a veteran of brake jobs takes a bit more time. It's a job that sucks when a bleed screw snaps off in haste ect...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
It usually goes fast. But a veteran of brake jobs takes a bit more time. It's a job that sucks when a bleed screw snaps off in haste ect...
Touche again. I've sadly had that happen, or I've had to deal with schitty old rear brakes covered with corrosion and crap that would snap off.

Now I feel like I put my foot in my mouth when I wrote this (and I was totally sober, too!).
...a professional brake job with good parts is not the same as you and your buddy installing Autozone parts in your driveway with your Harbor Freight tools.
Not that Brian responded to my comments, but with the exception of an alternator (that I'm probably going to regret, and will get a rebuilt unit from Seth down the road), I don't use Autozone branded junk. And with the exception of a crow bar and transmission jack/jack stands and crap like that, I don't really use Harbor Freight, either. I'd say about 95-97% of my toolbox is Snap-On. Most of it acquired via ebay, pawn shops, estate sales, etc, but some items I did buy new off the truck. Sounds dumb, but I've even got some Snap-on socks (for your feet), that are also REALLY comfortable.

I guess I haven't priced out a brake job anywhere, because I've been doing my own brakes since I was about 19 or 20 (and yes, back then, it was Autozone brakes with crappy tools, but I've since learned and only owned Toyotas then).

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I have had only two independent shops let me supply parts. No issue at one on a 1994 F150 six manual and a BMW in for VANOS rebuild that complemented me on the quality of parts as well as the completeness of parts provided. No warranty, but I trusted the mechanics to do their part, and they did. It is unusual though to allow customer supplied parts. My experience with that was as good or better than just doing it all by them. I didn't argue about the price quoted either. Worked out well for both of us. They were a very respected BMW shop here. I wouldn't even attempt the VANOS job on my own though.
I think it depends on the shop and what's being done. I'm taking two VR6 wheel assemblies to a local shop tomorrow. I already cleared it with them, but they're going to press in/out new bearings/hubs. In the past, they let me bring in a FAG bearing for my rear wheel and pressed it on. I didn't need a warranty and the owner was super cool about it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Getting things pressed in/out isn't really the same as having other work done that need parts though. Places do that kind of stuff all the time.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Hey, snap on socks are some of the most comfortable ones... the snap-on guy gave everyone a pair one year at Christmas. I like them a lot, then my wife got me a bunch of pairs.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I was so impressed with my Snap-On socks that I bought some more and got my dad a few pair. Who would have thought???

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
GD auto correct. but ill stick with what i said out of conviction!

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
So what we cleared up here is if you're spending $3000 on your 20 year old car get yourself some Snap On socks and you'll be a little more comfortable with your decision.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
And if you do take it somewhere that the costs are a little high, Snap-on does have some really nice kneepads

estefania

TDI
Golf TDI 2002 silver 4dr
Hi all,
Realizing I never closed the loop on this and wanted to thank everyone for your input. We really appreciated it. Ended up getting new brakes and doing bare minimum to keep the car. We started pricing used and new cars and realized we should just keep this one. All good so far. I'm going to post a fresh query now to ask about another issue. Thanks!