HELP! Canadian in Syracuse,NY 4hrs from home

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
With wife and kids in tow... drove 4 hrs from home in Canada to Syracuse. No overheat warning light came on, temperature gauge was smack dap in the middle where it usually is. Got off the interstate and soon as I was approaching a stop car was lurching like the car couldn't find the right gear to get into, almost like it wanted to keep driving forward. As soon as we got to a stop, car was running really rough. We are a 1/2 mile at this point from our hotel... am able to get it into the parking lot and shut'er down. Once settled in our hotel room I come out to the car again after it has cooled down. I find NO coolant in the resevoir, so I remove the cap, no pressure. I add some straight water to the resevoir and start it up. White smoke is billowing out of the tailpipe. Shut it down.

So I'm thinking head gasket, but have read possibly the egr cooler as well. We were supposed to head back tomorrow and I'm afraid that major damage has occurred. I'm thinking of abandoning the car and seeing about getting a rental.

I have had a Check Engine light on for over a year, it was the intake manifold flap, but has not affected the way the car has ran in any way. Why would the temperature gauge not shown a hot condition or a warning of low coolant?

Emergency advice and feedback appreciated!!!

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
I would first check for additional codes. You may have additional codes other than the intake manifold code.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Consider yourself fortunate that the overheating/cooling system failure/head gasket failure happened and you made it safe to your hotel. There's no way I would risk driving your family anywhere in that car until it is fixed. Rent a Uhaul and tow the car home, presumably you have a trusted mechanic in town.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
Something violent, something broke. Too fast to give the overheat warning. Got to look under the valve cover. I would fear a broken rocker arm or valve, assumes balance shaft has been addressed. Hi Hertz! Hope not.

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
I ended up ditching the car in Syracuse. Did call A&K Eurowerx (thanks johnboy00) and after some reflection, decided to get rid of the car and found that National allowed for oneway cross border rentals. My family and I got back home yesterday evening. Thanks to everyone who applied.

auntulna

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS Passat wagon, mit panzer plate
That is a hard way for things to end, I feel bad, having had one for so long.

The Columbo in me wants to know what happened. Let us know if you hear.

db123

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
Unfortunately I won't find out... the car was taken to a wrecking yard to be dismantled for parts.

It is what it is... it's an unfortunate situation that I just have to let go.

That is a hard way for things to end, I feel bad, having had one for so long.

The Columbo in me wants to know what happened. Let us know if you hear.

Last edited: