Help! Anyone with a 2001 Reflex Silver Golf - VIN Sticker example

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf-Ute TDI GLS 5spd Manual
Hoping someone can help with a tricky situation. I just moved to California and the process for registering an out-of-state vehicle requires a VIN verification which itself requires, in part, an inspection of the VIN sticker in the door jamb of the vehicle (yes, really). However...

In the process of installing my Smythe Ute kit, the shop who did my wrap painted over the VIN sticker in my door jamb. I tried using a gentle paint remover, but it ended up destroying the sticker. There are legitimate services out there that can print a sticker, however they usually require one to send a pic of the original, which in my case has been destroyed. I spoke to one such service and they said they could punch out a replacement based on a different sticker, but substituting my VIN. Yes, this appears to be legal :)

So, if there is anyone out there with a Reflex Silver 2001 Golf who is willing to snap a clear pic of their VIN sticker, I would be eternally grateful. I have been a faithful member with a long posting history here for something like 15 years and hopefully my reputation indicates that I am not asking for something sketchy.

My alternative, btw, is to have the dealership do this, but it will take at least 1 month. I am willing to go down that path, but obviously want to move things along

Thank you!

Alex

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
"Just moved to California".... oh Jesus, I am so sorry. So, so sorry.

I have four Golfs, the only silver one is a 2004. The 2001 I have is red, and a 2dr. I'm not really sure what difference that would make, though. Are they photshopping something here?

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, these companies are effectively design services who can replicate stickers. I was hoping for a 2001 RS to get as close as possible, but I think even another '01 Golf would do the trick.

And yes, this appears to be completely legal provided that one is not using a false VIN.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Why does it have to be a "reflex silver"? Wouldn't a 2001 Golf TDI with whatever option (gl, gls, etc) package you have work? I didn't think the VIN contained any color info.
But, regardless, I have a 2001 reflex silver Jetta.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can get you a photo of one from an '02 RS Golf, if that helps.
That would be much appreciated, Peter, thanks!

Honestly, until I see a good example, I will not know what precisely is needed, although the parts guy wanted GVRW. I was actually able to order one from a nearby dealership who did not ask for proof of ownership, although the parts guy wanted GVRW. Again, it will take about a month, so anything I can get to shortcut the process would be amazing.

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
I bet if you look through the dmv regs, it says they can verify using 2 out of 3 (sticker, dash, engine-compartment/cowl). That's why there are 3 copies of it all over the car. Things happen. What if you were t-boned, and had your door jamb replaced? Ffs, these people. And the painter moron.

I have four Golfs, the only silver one is a 2004. The 2001 I have is red, and a 2dr. I'm not really sure what difference that would make, though. Are they photshopping something here?
Paint color shouldn't matter, since it isn't listed on the door sticker. I dont see why you couldn't print one up at Kinkos or wherever. If it's "legal" for a 3rd party to print one, anyone can be that 3rd party. Should be plenty of apps that can generate a valid barcode.

Lex4TDI4Life

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Strangely enough, they DO need to confirm with the door sticker because it lists the crash standard yadayadayada.

IBW got me a good example and the service is punching one out for me in the next couple days. Woohoo!

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Can you share the company you used? Assuming it goes well.
I need to do something similar for my TT. Thanks