HELP! 2006 Jetta TDI Stalling

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
Mine was fixed along time ago, all I had to do to fix it was remove and re insert the fuses in the fuse box for the ECU and This seemed to fix it. the car hasn't stalled for 30K miles.

Canabarry

TDI
06 Jetta
Although my email in June reported that my stalling problem has been fixed, I must now retract that enthusiasm. It stalled again yesterday, twice. Conditions were again very hot, 95 degrees, with A/C running. It stalled once when upshifting and once when downshifting. I had not used the car much between June and now which led me to believe that it was no longer stalling.
My dealer has tried very hard to solve this problem but I must now give up and go the Lemon Law route and report this to the NHTSA.
regards... Barry

Lifsgrt

TDI
2006 Jetta 06.05 BRM 5spd
2006 Jetta 5-speed stall

Our car did this after my wife filled it with gasoline at about 88000 miles...of which I could only remove 9.5 gallons without removing the tank. I drained the lines, changed the filter, refilled with diesel and a gallon of diesel fuel conditioner. It was very difficults to start the first few times, and on that tank of fuel the engine would stall if you pushed in the clutch as normal while approaching a stop. However, if I allowed the RPM to drop to idle level before I hit the clutch, the engine would continue to run at idle. Of course, when this tank of fuel was gone and tank was again full of diesel, the engine operated as normal. It seems there is an idle circuit the engine switches to as opposed to the off-idle/normal operation circuit, but I do not know what gadget makes it so if this is the case. I've been studying engines, building engines, and tuning cars for many years, but am not particularly well versed on the TDI. The car has 101000 miles now, just returned home from a 1000 mile trip pulling a trailer that weighed about 1600 pounds, the car got 35 MPG at 70 mph on the highway mixed with about 30 miles of in-town driving.

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Mine stalled today while going round a corner and down shifting. Only happened once in my 06 till now and 2000 miles after I bought it, so we will see if it happens again.
I left the engine off thinking it might be a broken timing belt and coasted the 150 yards home. My wife did look a little confused when I did not make it up the driveway anymore... Well timing belt is not broken and it restarted immediately when I tried...
I have been wiggling around on fuses, maybe it will help, maybe not. Maybe it was even just a fluke!:confused:

Midnight Rider

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLD
Happened again yesterday, downshifting 3 to 2nd, stalled, let the clutch out to restart from rolling.

I will have to replace the fuel filter, the guy I bought it from said he did everything before I bought it, but who knows. One of the first things I did was change the 507 oil he put in to M1 TDT...

Now I will have to look up how to do the filter. Can't be too hard, right?

Edit: DIY section rules!

zanman

TDI
2006 jetta
Add me to the list

I have the same problem. push in clutch when slowing down and engine shuts off. A/C on.

I have a TPS code, not sure if that is related

TDIChick

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had the same problem with my 2006. It continued to stall out even after vw techs looked at it and replaced several parts of the engine and the fuel system. One thing they did find was that the fuel injector seals were leaking carbon into the fuel and that was destroying the filter fast and causing the carbon to stall out the engine.

However, once that was all fixed, the problem continued... The car was traded in via a deal with vw about three months ago. New 2010 doesn't seem to have any of the same issues.

VWIngersoll

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had the same problem as most on this thread, warm weather, air conditioner on, random stalling, no stalling in winter, dealer unable to resolve. So I took my Jeta to a mechanic who has a knack for solving problems that the dealers can’t figure out. They had the car for 6 working days; they were able to eventually reproduce the problem but couldn’t nail down the cause. They were about to give up telling me that VW had a number of these cases and are not able to find the problem. However they wanted to keep the car a couple more hours to “try a few more things.” SUCCESS!! Turns out that the problem was the wiring for the crank sensor, looked OK but when they pulled on it, turns out the wire was broken, they made the repair . . . problem GONE! I’ve been driving in very hot weather the last 3 days with A/C on, not 1 stall. Hope this helps.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
candrews4tdi
cnicholson
DrewD
ldgratetdi
KS_Jetta
Gavin_1
ewheeler
JJTDI
Mooseclub (Auto Trans)
serenityjames dakota650r
TDIPirate
TDI73
ErikR
Jwagen04
jjohns72 (Not sure he bought the car)
Amphicar770
tdi06
dieselfarmer
2footbraker
Canabarry (Very well documented)
wildslag
CRSIG
richbking
01tj
Eric Cartman (Squirel hater)
Green_TDI (Auto, Dealer may have fixed it)
06SpiceRedTDI
buckrub
Imarobot
petri
Bench Truck (Aussie DSG)
shelendich (but this is an 04 and it may not be the same problem)
GRdiesel
strictlysmoke (its my father's car / manual)

That's 34 people.
Bumpity bump bump bump.

34 people with this problem and only a few posted fixes.....

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
Now my 2006 Jetta is doing the stall game

Pretty repeatable. Stall when pushig in the clutch coasting to stop light. Only does it with A/C on. Wonder if my compressor is dragging. Can you guys check if your will only stall with A/C on?

J

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 passat tdi.... my 6th TDi!! a4, a3, b4, a5, my b7 and wife has a '11 JSW.. :)
add me to the list

been having this prob for a while, yes, only with ac on...

Pretty repeatable. Stall when pushig in the clutch coasting to stop light. Only does it with A/C on. Wonder if my compressor is dragging. Can you guys check if your will only stall with A/C on?
same...

add me to this list of "stallers", VW, Why am I stalling?

would love to fix this problem, for now, I'll be happy it's Fall and won't be running ac for a while

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
Going to change lift pump this weekend and check for chaffed wire on Engine Speed sensor. I'll also do the vagcom thing and see if it sees anything. I did manage to stall once with A/C off this week. So it isn't a cureall to drive around hot. After that I'll check the air flapper. I think that is abou it. What about the MAF sensor? Any other suggestions? I changed the tandem pump and lift pump 25k miles ago chasing another problem that turned out to be injectors. So I would have hoped the pumps were good.

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
The temp was 82 F this weekend. I drove around for almost an hour with the Vagcom connected. Lift pump is working fine- squirts fuel out of the fuel filter when you turn on the key (no engine running). I could only get it to stall once with A/C running. Set no new codes. Vagcom did have 3 codes stored (no check engine light).
P2185 - Coolant temp sensor on Radiator Outlet G83 Signal Intermittent
P1267 Injector Cylinder 3 Regulation Exceeded Intermittent
P1264 " "" " "" " " "
Does that tell us anything - chaffed wires?
I cleared the codes and they never came back. I ran all the output tests and the EGR tests - everything worked/passed.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDi 6 Speed Manual
Yes... The exact issue has occured twice this past (2012) summer in my '06 Jetta Tdi w/5 speed.

Hot outside, AC on and coasting to a stop. Can remember is clutch was engaged or not.

I have to stop, cycle key from off to on to restart. Then all is ok?

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
” SUCCESS!! Turns out that the problem was the wiring for the crank sensor, looked OK but when they pulled on it, turns out the wire was broken, they made the repair . . . problem GONE! I’ve been driving in very hot weather the last 3 days with A/C on, not 1 stall. Hope this helps.
Can anyone shed some light on what and where the crank sensor wire is located? And even what it is?

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
Manual says the ESS is located under oil filter a little to the driver's side. Quick update I have my TDI at the shop now as it is too annoying to drive in traffic anymore with the stalling. It will get worse. Still no codes being thrown. Money pit time? I told them to keep it for a week and see if they can fix it. It is stalling coasting up to a stop sign for the shop as well so at least they know I'm not crazy.

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Manual says the ESS is located under oil filter a little to the driver's side. Quick update I have my TDI at the shop now as it is too annoying to drive in traffic anymore with the stalling. It will get worse. Still no codes being thrown. Money pit time? I told them to keep it for a week and see if they can fix it. It is stalling coasting up to a stop sign for the shop as well so at least they know I'm not crazy.
Thanks for the reply and please do let un know what your shop might come up with.

Not only is it annoying, I imagine it could be down right dangerous it had stalled and you needed power to get out of harms way. The few times mine has done it, I did not realize it right away. Fortunately I was coming to a stop, but if I were just slowing down and then needed to accelerate that could be a problem.

doug1976

TDI
2006 JETTA
Mechanic says he has my stalling issue fixed. After changing fuel filter -nofix, pressure regulator-no fix. I convinced him to install an OEM lift pump I was saving. He was sure that wasn't it because he could hear the pump working and it filled the filter housing. But then he noticed that the fuel filter housing wasn't completely full everytime the car stalled. So he changed the lift pump. (Original OEM) and he says it wout stall anymore. If you don't see another post you will know my problem was a weak lift pump in the fuel tank.

No more stalling after changing lift pump in tank with an OEM pump.

Last edited:

sohccammer427

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting.

Ok to recap:

1. reseat fuses
2. check crank sensor wireing
3. replace fuel lift pump (oem)

Thanks. If next summer mine starts to stall more often, I'll do all three.

btw, doug, I hope your issue is resolved. Nothing worse that having an elusive gremlin.

Last edited:

ndiamc

TDI
05 TDI Jetta/ 04 TDI Golf
05 Jetta BRM engine, standard transmission

I have a similar issue of my car stalling, I have done the following and it has NOT fixed my random stalling problem.
The car stalls when slowing down to a stop, after cranking for at least 15 seconds with my foot on the gas pedal it starts. Sometimes it is difficult to start with same symptoms when I initially want to start the car with engine cold. Outside temperature has no effect, the stalling occurs random though it occurs more often when the tank is less than 1/2 full.
I have done the following without having success;
1. Replaced lift pump in tank(Used OEM pump).
2. Replaced fuel filter.
2. Took it to the dealer for diagnostics, they could not find any problems or codes.
3. Replaced timing belt( using correct tools)
4. Had the turbo rebuilt due to oil leakage.
5. Replaced cam.
5. Replaced cam timing sensor.
6. Replaced engine speed sensor.
7. Replaced fuel pump relay.
8. Removed and inspected all fuses.
9. Replaced engine wiring harness.
After all of this the problem remains, even though it averages 45 MPG and the engine runs very strong.
If anyone knows of a solution I will really appreciate it if you can pass it on. My next step is to take a closer look at the EGR valve/possibly replace it, I will pass it on if I achieve success.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
This happened to my wife exactly twice the same way two days ago. Dies as you come up to a stop. First time it took about 5 tries to restart. second time restarted rate away. I tried to simulate the problem and that's when we noticed Black smoke at start up and especially a quick rev from Idle to 3600 rpm. I put standyne(Edit: actually it was power service which I hear is better) in and aggressively drove it around and the standyne helped. The car has 192,000 kilometers on it so I removed the and Cleaned the EGR yesterday. The smoke is now only at a quick rev from idle to high rev. and the local garage suggests run the fuel out and refill at my regular station( the smoke started after a fill at another station it seems but can't be sure though). Edit: fuel filter changed not long ago.

I am wondering if this is a fuel and egr related problem possibly.

The stalling has never happened before and this is the first time it has ever had black smoke. The black smoke was realy bad putting soot on the driveway. When I took the egr apart there was some build up but reasonable. About 1/8 to 3/16 build up and the valve did have a slight gap when held up to the light. I used an orange acidic solvent cleaner that worked quit well with a lot of scraping. There seemed to be no affect on power just black soot after the initial bout of stalling which has not happened again so far. Taking the ASV and the EGR off was not to bad( all from above). I had to shorten a spare 3/8 ratchet handle for removing the exhaust bypass and you do need a variety of 1/4 inch drive extensions and universal. I used a dab of silicone to hold the 3 egr screws in the intake manifold holes after unscrewing as they would just full in the motor if you tried to remove them. Hope this helps a bit.
Edit I better pass on the advice from others who have removed the EGR. Do not try to clean the intake manifold unless you take it off or the carbon chunks will fall into the valve area.

Last edited:

KillerBox

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Sedan
My 2006 Jetta TDI 141,000 miles 5 Speed Manual stalls from time to time coasting with the clutch engaged or in neutral. It has done this for the past 3 years or so.

Most of the time it is when it is 90f or hotter and the humity is 90% or higher. (As crazy as it sounds I think the humity effects it more than the temputure.)

If possible, I just put the car back in gear and slowly let off on the clutch and it cranks right back up.

If anyone comes up with a solution, please let us know.

James & Son

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
My 2006 Jetta TDI 141,000 miles 5 Speed Manual stalls from time to time coasting with the clutch engaged or in neutral. It has done this for the past 3 years or so.

Most of the time it is when it is 90f or hotter and the humity is 90% or higher. (As crazy as it sounds I think the humity effects it more than the temputure.)

If possible, I just put the car back in gear and slowly let off on the clutch and it cranks right back up.

If anyone comes up with a solution, please let us know.
I am glad you bumped this thread. My car finally died and would not start or crank. The black smoke as i posted above had nothing to do with it.
Engine Died But No Crank
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=390277

atstodd

TDI
'06 Jetta, '03 Jetta Wagon
Maybe a fix?

I recently bought an '06 with a bad camshaft, 176K miles. I replaced the camshaft with a Kerma TDI stage 2 and checked the torsion value; It was -1.2. The cam timing was set with a metalnerd crank tool and a properly sized drill bit on the cam. I know it is correct. I then adjusted the Torsion value to about +2.0 because of something I read. The car would randomly stall after pushing in the clutch while down shifting, like the idle control in the ECU was not fast enough to catch the idle sometimes. It also stalled once during a really slow up shift. I ran the car like this for about 500 miles, then right before a 2000mi road trip I set the torsion back to -1.5. It has not stalled since, but the daily temps are not as high as they were either. We averaged about 41 MPG on the trip at about 73 MPH.
I never drove the car or checked the torsion value before doing the camshaft because one of the followers was worn through. I think the factory setting was -1.5, but I need to check the t-belt cover again.

atstodd

TDI
Update

Car is stalling again now that its getting warmer. It was trouble free through the fall and winter. I have been tuning it a bit and it seems to be better but not fixed. I'm not sure what if anything in the tune is helping, it may just be coincidence. I really think it has something to do with the ac compressor because it has only happened when the ac is on. I may try to up the idle a little bit.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
Have you checked to see that both fans are working when a/c is running. Common problem is the a/c fan fails. This can cause a/c compressor to run longer than usual to cool the temps down.

atstodd

TDI
I'll check it. i don't see how this would affect stalling unless its causing over pressure and slowing the compressor.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
Honestly it most likely isn't going to be the issue. But its German and they are a pain in the ass so I always check everything.