1983 VW pickup tonneau cover.. hinge build w/ pictures

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Im getting the 83 VW pickup road ready. Been mostly in hibernation for over a decade.

QUICK GLANCE SUMMERY BELOW

EDIT 9/25/22
Finished hinge build and install of the tonneau cover. I think a condenced picture summery would be a good vehicle record and fun read so I'll compile a 1st post quick read below. The following post are the drawn out question and details as I figured it out.

back from paint

funky original hinge "Rue Goldberg" contraption
If they aren't used up as doner parts for other projects, I would gladly donate them to anyone that MAY happen to have this set up. Its not like you can go to a tonneau shop and order them.

Ebay 2014 Ford Fiesta hinge set

100# each struts

45# apiece strut set
Need to upgrade to 65# as it turns out

Hood hinges and 1st strut assembly were attached to the hood. This strut assembly proved VERY overkill in both geometry and pressure (rear facing 100 lb each... The latter setup used 45# forward facing). It's THE almost perfect combo, just need maybe 65#. M8 nut inserts were used for hinges and M5 for multiple/adjustable strut mountings (look close at pictures)

Too heavy 100# each. 20" extended, 12.8" compressed. WRONG functional geometry! Pushed lid forward, out of alignment and wouldn't compress.

The working combo. Stress taken off hinge. Lid will stay up but could use a few pounds more assistance, maybe 65#.

card board mock up

going over to steel. 4"x12"x1/8",1/8"x 3"x3" tube had to be sectioned to 3x2.5 along with the corner tucked in to contour with the bed lines.

Detailed measurements on mounting width, fore & aft and height placement guesstimates. I was within 1/8" on the width. The hinges were attached to the lid then set in place and set in closed position in order to get the proper flush closed height and foreward setting.

Finishing touch to hide the uglies. Modified 3x3 end cap. New, thick, 1.5" foam rubber weather stripping.

The locking handle and latch. More ebay parts

I wanted the tailgate latch to be flat, smooth and unobstructive so the plate was sourced. You may notice the hour glass shape. This helps to hold the latch secure in the closed position when not locked. I need to finish file the slightly modified cover plate...OCD I guess.

------------

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
See if you can find anything at TheSamba.com
Yes, done. VWVortex seems more active.

ORIGANAL POST NUMBER ONE looking to find hinge answers

Just had paint and am installing/trying to figure out the hinge setup on a rare fiberglass tonneau cover. I don't have any info on manufacture or model. It was from a parted pickup years ago and all I have is a box of hinge parts and questions.

I'm hoping there is someone here that may have one of these or know someone with one. Maybe I can get some pictures and/or information

My internet information search has yielded little. Below is what I've found

This appears to be what I have?

Other types? Hinges that I'm not opposed to retrofitting

‐----------------

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I laid out the parts and looked them over. This Rube Goldberg disaster doesn't even resemble a hinge? I'm thinking eBay hood hinges.

This is the underside of the tonneau and one attached bracket. It could have been put on backwards.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just wish I could find a tonneau cover for mine! Sorry, not much help on that.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I think this should work. The tonneau fiberglass frame structure has a flat area that appears to be designed for such an application as this type hinge

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
I’m really of no help here but none of those tonneau covers look even remotely similar to yours They all appear to be metal ladder style frames with some sort of separate cover attached. Yours looks like solid fiberglass and you have additional cross supports all molded out of fiberglass as well. I personally think the first one and maybe all of them are one of a kind, but the first one especially strikes me as odd that the struts would mount that far down in the bed as opposed to in the bed rails, I for one wouldn’t buy said product…. But if it’s custom…. happen to have access to a donor truck or one without fresh paint? if you have the parts at hand it’s probably somewhat self explanatory maybe mock it up and take some measurements and see what clears? I built a Murphy bed in a van using similar hardware, it took lots of templates and trial and error for everything to close as I wanted but ultimately there were no instructions or a right or wrong way per say…. Good luck!

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
none of those tonneau covers look even remotely similar to yours. They all appear to be metal ladder style frames. Yours looks like solid fiberglass.
Yes true, that's the frustrating thing. I've Internet searched, made phone calls. I've even strapped it down and drove the truck to a custom truck accessories shop that said they could do it, they scratch their head and ran. I've had the best input posting in several places. Ultimately I'm going with the hood hinge and strut conversion set up. Got the part's. (post 6). Now hopefully I can find a good body shop that can/will step outside the box.

the first one especially strikes me as odd that the struts would mount that far down in the bed as opposed to in the bed rails,.
Yes, alot of leverage on it. The original "Rue Goldberg" built in spring contraption was.

but ultimately there were no instructions or a right or wrong way per say…. Good luck!

Last edited:

T1MMBOJONES

Veteran Member
TDI
03 ALH 01M wagon
what I meant to say is I used the strut style system like you posted a pic of on the Murphy bed. Not that crazy contraption you posted. I still think a little trial and error and you’d figure it out but I think you are on the right track getting the kit, which will likely still require a little test fitting but at least have replaceable parts…

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
New system put together after ALOT of measurements and rough calculation. Just a bout to install

Cardboard pre-steel mockup

Steel 1/8"

And the hood. M5 M8 rivet nuts used. As it turns out, what I thought was overkill with strut mounting nuts, was balanced and perfect. I'm a nut for building in "futures"

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Pipe sectioned from 3"x3" to 3"x2.5" with corner notched to fit bed curvature. A million measurements later, cutting and welding, everything miraculously fit within very tight parameters. Mocked-up hood + hinges + brackets. Overall width (bed mount to mount 52 3/4") and height (tonneau flush shut seating surface) pre adjustment specs proved out to literally be right on the money, first shot. That's never happened for me before!

Next will be the hood fore and aft measurements

Latching/Locking handle install

20 total nutserts to keep struts (m5) and cover hinges (m8) secure and give full adjustability. Then confirmation of extended and compressed strut lengths checked out within specs

Closed position with mounting brackets installed to check height settings

Opening hood liftaway (upward and forward geometry action) confirmation @ 30 degree. This calculated out, when on the truck, to 6 foot from the ground to lid.I can change the strut settings for more or less lift

Hood flush setting is on the money in the closed position. The foam strip is where the top underside rest on the bed top rail.

Sneek prevue: You may notice the dust coated 6D carbon fiber wrapped front bumper. Got the rears finished too. I'd like to tuck the bumper mounts before fitting them.

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
today I finished the hinge setup it needed.

The tailgate striker/latch for the lock down

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
A big thanks to the helpful inputs. Mounted and functional now.

A note to those following this build. I redid the 1st post as a summery quick read start to finish pictorial of the build.

Last edited: