Hello TDI club! My 99.5 TDI Build

Kyle99TDI

TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI ALH
Hello all,

I have learned so much just by searching old posts on this forum so I want to thank everyone for the info that’s given by all.

I purchased this car for $850. 260k miles. Leaking coolant into the cylinders. Broken window cables on drivers door, interior smelled terrible of old smoke, speakers all blown, heater core not even hooked up. Ac compressor pulley about to fall off. Leaking oil from the rear main, oil pan, turbo, you name it.

Last edited:

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Dang, now that's some work that takes some elbow grease!

One question.... Why orange rtv on the pan??

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
No mine is the stock slightly upgraded turbo from the 115hp models.. and yes 3 bar map. Your saying your limited to 14 psi?
I was told by Malone tuner that a stage 4 tune was required with a 3-bar MAP.

I max at 24lbs of boost according to my gauge.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Might be good to put most of bits on and make sure it all works good, then tune.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
FWIW I had that lowering suspension kit on my Golf. I ran it about a year before I couldn't take it anymore. I wanted it in the "tallest" setting (1" lowered) which requires you to crank down the preload the max they tell you to go. Because of this, it just rode and felt like trash. Ride presumably would have been better I'd I wanted it lower since you don't have to preload the heck out of them, but I tried that and I was having interference issues with the front strut perch nut and the wheel and tire.

Not to mention even only 1" lowered, every speed bump was a hazard.
I went back to stock height with Billy struts all around and am very happy with the ride again.

Car looks good, always enjoy seeing a basket case rejuvenated