Hella Headlight Washer Retrofit Kit on a Jetta

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Hi All,

Since the only installation instructions are from Roger Moore for the Golf I deceided to post instructions specific to the Jetta.

Step 1:

Open the hood. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Remove the grill. The grill is held on its corners by hooks that snap into the bumper cover. The hooks go where the orange circles indicate in the following picture.

Lifting the edge of the grill will allow you to unsnap it and pull the top towards you. Don't pull too far as you still have to disconnect the hood release handle; like so:

Once the hood release handle is removed you can pull off the grill .

Now proceed to remove the bumper. The Jetta bumper is held by 4 T25 torx screws inside the frt edge of each fender well. (Don't forget to remove the side markers! Push in on the frt edge until it goes into the bumper and pull the rear edge off. No need to pry!)

5 T30 torx bolts are located underneath the grill.

2 T30 torx bolts inside the bumper air intakes. Sorry no picture. To take the plastic intake covers off just pinch on the two slots on each end. You'll figure it out! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Once all the bumper bolts are off you can pull the bumper to the frt and off. Make sure to place it on something soft, especially the pointed corners at the rear, to avoid scratching the paint. Don't ask how I know this... /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

You should now have this staring at you:

Here is the headlight washer kit; Hella Golf IV headlamp washer retrofit kit #8WS 008 558-001,(Yes you need the Golf IV kit. Hella does not make a kit specifically for the Jetta/Bora.), that Chad is procuring from Germany.

Everything in the picture is included except for relay 192, (if you are going to ever use the rain sensor gizmo in your windshield), or relay 603, (4B0 955 531 E relay with headlight washers but no rain sensor gizmo), the Bora washer nozzles and the Bora washer nozzle covers. The kit includes the washer nozzles and covers from a Golf which do not work with the Jetta bumper.

Just to clarify. To complete the kit for a Jetta you will need in ADDITION TO THE KIT the following parts from Germany, (unless John at IMPEX relents and deciedes to bring some in. Last time I asked they said the part numbers was obsolete! /images/graemlins/mad.gif):

1J5 955 109A Bora Headlight Washer Cover, Left
1J5 955 110A Bora Headlight Washer Cover, Right

1J5 955 103 Bora Headlight Washer Jet Carrier w/ Jet, Left
1J5 955 104 Bora Headlight Washer Jet Carrier w/ Jet, Right

If you want to wire the kit the same as the factory installation, (Downside of the hella retrofit kit is that your headlights get sprayed everytime you clean your windshield. The OEM install only sprays your headlights when the lights are ON and every 4th time you squirt the windshield. The Hella way, everytime, you'll go through fluid like crazy.).

You will also need to replace the stock windshield wiper relay, (usually Relay 377), with:

1J0 955 531 "Relay 192", (if you have any plans to use the rain sensor gizmo with your windshield. If you don't have the rain sensor you will lose the intermittant function of your wipers with the "192" relay.), or;

4B0 955 531 E "Relay 603", (this relay is the one for headlight washers with no rain sensor.)

Now we come to the biggest headache. I have confirmed that you do need a euro rebar, (even if you have a wagon), unless you can get a used one from a US MY2001 Jetta wagon. (I have a 2003 wagon and it has the same rebar as the sedan.. Made in Mexico no less!) The Euro Rebar is needed to mount the washer assemblies.

Correct Part Number for the Euro Rebar = 1J0 805 551 <font color="red">E</font>

NOTE: It seems that the VW warehouse has the C rebar, (US), as the replacement for the E euro rebar in their computer and it doesn't matter what number you order you will be getting the C if you are in the US.

John at IMPEX will be trying to get some of the correct ones from Germany but it might take awhile. If you are interested let IMPEX know that you want the E rebar with the headlight washer mounts because if you order it from the web form it will default to what VW says and you will receive the wrong one! (Don't ask me how I know this..) /images/graemlins/mad.gif

You DO NOT need the Euro bumper cover for the Jetta/Bora. The front bumper covers are almost identical. The only difference is that the euro bumper cover has a set of dimples on the inside face to help guide where you need to cut the hole for the nozzles. The US bumper does not have the dimples. (Unless you have a wagon like mine, (made in Germany), that contrary to popular believe DID have the dimples!).

ETKA actually tells you that if you need the euro cover for a car with headlight washers it will need to be shop modified, hence the dimples.

Remove your headlamp assemblies. 4 T25 torx screws.

Siphon the fluid out of the 3 ltr. reservoir using the long supplied hole in the kit into a clean container.

Remove the stock 3 ltr. reservior. Remove the tank by loosening up 2 10mm nuts and one 10mm screw. It is held with a plastic nut found behind the bottle bolted to the fender and right in front of the bottle on the plate above the intercooler.

Disconnect the pump wire and fluid level sensor wire. If you have a wagon you will also find some cool little disconnects for the water hoses that go back to the tail gate.

Prepare the new tank.

Install the filter in the neck and cap;

Install the headlight washer pump with the new grommet from the kit in the frt hole of the bottle;

Install the old pump using the old grommet in the back hole of the bottle;

If your tank has the level sensor hole install the old level sensor using the old grommet.

If your tank, (like mine), doesn't have the hole for the level sensor don't despair! A hole can be drilled in the tank without too much trouble using a 1" Forstner Bit.

NOTE: When you drill the hole, (best done on a drill press after measuring 27 times to make sure you have it in the exact same relative position as the original bottle), you may find that the sensor fits in very tightly or doesn't want to go in at all. DO NOT SAND THE HOLE TO MAKE IT BIGGER! The reason it is not going in correctly is because the hole has a ridge formed on the inside from the drilling. Take a knife and scrape the ridge off and the sensor should fit in nice and snug and not leak. (Or you can do what I did. Sand it with a drum in the drill press. Make it oversize and have to use epoxy to help the grommet seal after all the water leaked out after installing the darn thing!) /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Once the bottle is ready you have to do what SVTWEB best described as "Stuffing 150 pds of sh*t into a 50 pd bag" or words to that effect. (Actually Eric is wrong. It is more like having to stuff 200 pds of sh*t into a 25 pd bag but I digress.) /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

To make this part easier, (and so you can learn from my mistakes), I suggest you:

1) Remove the fuel filter, (you don't have to disconnect it. Unbolt it and lift it out of the way.),

2) Remove the upper and lower intercooler hoses and the intercooler.

3) Remove the wire loom guide/support from the right side, (looking from above), of the ledge where the washer bottle will now live. The new bottle is bigger in that area and the loom guide/support interferes.

Once you have those parts off it is still a pain but at least you will be able to make yourself believe that their actually is enough room to install the !@#$%^&* bottle.

Once the bottle is installed connect everthing back in the reverse of the removal. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

It should look like this when you are done:

Once the bottle is installed you can proceed to the removal of your US rebar and replacement with the "correct" Euro rebar.

I think there are 2 bolts on the ends and various torx bolts/screws on the bottom and in the middle. (Didn't take a picture so I can't remember exactly.)

It has been brought to my attention that the support for the lock carrier is different to correctly support the euro rebar. The correct part number for the support for the lock carrier is 1J0 805 567.

(I didn't bother getting the new lock carrier support so didn't originally give the part number.)

For some strange reason IMPEX shows 1J0 805 567 as being equivalant to 1J0 805 567 B, (which is the US lock carrier support), with 2 different prices. I think it is the same situation as the euro rebar. VWOA is crossindexing the euro number to its american counterpart. Buyer beware!

Once the Euro rebar is installed install the washer pumps.

They are left and right, (and are marked as such on the body of the pump), so don't mix them up!

BTW The bottom of the pumps rotate so don't freak out if the outlets aren't pointing where they should. /images/graemlins/eek.gif You can turn them to the correct orientation. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

With the nozzles installed it is all a matter of running the hose to each nozzle. It should look like this when done.

and

The rest of the installation is the cutting of the bumper but I don't have any pictures.

My bumper, (2003 wagon), had the dimples on the bottom edge so I connected the dots with a Sharpie and then I used a 1 3/8" Forsnter bit to drill out the initial hole and then used the Roger Moore drill method to open the oval up. I connected the drill holes with a cut off wheel in a Dremel and then I used a 1" sanding drum, by hand, to get the final shape.

Make sure you sand a little and measure the fit of the washer covers as you go until they just fit. They should fit without too much side to side clearance so they will always fall back to the same place after spraying your headlights.

Once the cutting is done the installation of the bumper and grill is the reverse of the removal! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NOTE: The Euro rebar DOES NOT USE THE FOAM from the US rebar. It doesn't fit and the Euro cars don't use foam at all. Nyet, Nine, Nada, Nothing as SVTWEB would say.

If you are going to use the Hella wiring please go to Roger Moores explanation for details. My kit did not contain the instructions and I didn't use the Hella wiring anyway..

I wired my washers with Chris Kennedys instructions except for one minor detail that I have corrected here:

[ QUOTE ]
Now how to wire it in:
Wires you'll need;
(1) 000 979 133 (A)
(1) 000 979 212
(1) 000 979 225 (A)

Some 2.5mm wire (14 gauge?)

You can download the wiring diagrams for the headlight washer system here:
http://pics.tdiclub.com/members/Kennedy/headlamp_washer.pdf

As you can see, you only need to run 3 wires.
You'll need to run a 000 979 133 from pin 11 of T/17 (headlight switch to pin 9 of T18a connector (it's that relay plate the control module plugs into).
Run on wire from a switched/fused power soure (fuse 33 in the fuse box to be correct) to pin 15 of the T18a connector. You'll need one 000 979 212 wire, cut it in half. That 's the wire connector you'll need. Take the other end of the wire and plug it into pin <font color="red"> 6 </font> of the T18a connector and run it outside the firewall to the washer pump. Get a 000 979 225 wire and cut it half. Splice a one half into the wire coming from the firewall and plug it the #2 pin on the pump connector. Take the other half of the 000 979 225, plug it into pin one of the pump connector and run it to ground.

The hardest part of this whole process is taking apart the T18a relay plate. I destroyed mine removing the "pink block" for the back. Once destroyed, you can order another, seperate the pink block with great care, extract the existing wires from the destroyed connector and put them in the new connector. It's a real PIA, but I'm anal about my wiring and sticking to OEM convention.
PN for the T18a relay plate: 4A0937529

Also, little hint... While you have the relay plate apart plug a wire into pin 10 and 14 before you put the pink block back together. This way you won't have to break the thing again should you ever decide to do the rain sensor/antidazzle mirror. That's where the rain sensor gets connects.

[/ QUOTE ]

The relay plate is the hardest part but using an AOL CD box you can get around the frustration of destroying it and having to buy a new one.

The explanation on what you need to do is here:

Relay Plate Seperation

Once all is said and done the installation looks and works very well and isn't extremly hard to do.

I am sorry I don't have a picture of the washers at work but I can tell you they look dang cool when they do! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BTW Most of the pictures are mine but I did "borrow" some of Litos since my digital camera "ate" the ones I took.

Have fun! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
OC,

Nice Job!! Thanks for the instructions. For the Golf, don't they need the rebar and bumper??

I'm wondering now if that kit is really worth it? The 5.5L tank can be sourced here in the US with the sensor hole.

All of the hose connections can be sourced from Audi. And probably the hose as well.

I'm not sure about the pumps. But, the covers and nozzels definately need to be sourced from Germany.

Well, maybe it's still cheaper now that I run through all the parts.

Any thoughts?

L

PS. The stock configuration doesn't do the 4th spray thing. It will spray if you hold the wiper stalk. It's possible to spritz the windshield without activating them with the lights on.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
tongsli said:
OC,

Nice Job!! Thanks for the instructions. For the Golf, don't they need the rebar and bumper??

[ QUOTE ]
Since the only installation instructions are from Roger Moore for the Golf I deceided to post instructions specific to the Jetta.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> The Golf does need the euro bumper and euro rebar to do this. The US bumper is different and the euro rebar doesn't fit behind it from what I have read. </font>

I'm wondering now if that kit is really worth it? The 5.5L tank can be sourced here in the US with the sensor hole.

<font color="red"> The advantage of the kit is that it has everything you need in one place with the correct length hose, connectors, pumps, etc. If you want to use the Hella wiring you don't even need Relay 192. </font>

All of the hose connections can be sourced from Audi. And probably the hose as well.

I'm not sure about the pumps. But, the covers and nozzels definately need to be sourced from Germany.

[ QUOTE ]
Just to clarify. To complete the kit for a Jetta you will need in ADDITION TO THE KIT the following parts from Germany, <font color="red">(unless John at IMPEX relents and deceides to bring some in. Last time I asked they said the part numbers was obsolete! ): </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, maybe it's still cheaper now that I run through all the parts.

Any thoughts?

L

PS. The stock configuration doesn't do the 4th spray thing. It will spray if you hold the wiper stalk. It's possible to spritz the windshield without activating them with the lights on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will have to play with that. I seemed to notice that it will squirt if you hold the winshield washer up continuously but if you just hit it once you have to do it 4 times before the headlight washers popup.

BTW For all you Golf aficionados I have the nozzles and covers from my kit that I will not be using as well as the Hella wiring harness.

Make an offer! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
DC-TDIWagon said:
I have a question about the nozzle covers on the bumper. They need to be painted. What's everyone doing to get them painted?
Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you ask. A friend today asked me the same thing...

I took the covers to a place near my apt. called Dealers Choice. Small paint jobs are no problem for them. That is what they specialize in; chip repair and dent removal.

Look in the phonebook or ask around at any auto detailer. They will probably know of similiar outfits that can do the job and not charge you an arm and a leg.

I paid $50.00 for the 2 covers, (painted silver and clear coated), and my grill, (satin black and baked in the oven to cure it.)

Sawdust

Great post. Question, i have an r32 bumper with euro rebar. now the r32 bumper will not be painted untill spring. my question is do you think the us bumper with euro rebar i can install the headlight washers? i don't care if the caps fit 100% perfect but will the bumper even alow me to do it.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
Question, i have an r32 bumper with euro rebar. now the r32 bumper will not be painted untill spring. my question is do you think the us bumper with euro rebar i can install the headlight washers? i don't care if the caps fit 100% perfect but will the bumper even alow me to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure since I don't have a Golf.

You might want to ask on VW Vortex.

Sawdust

[ QUOTE ]
DC-TDIWagon said:
Does anyone know where to find the wiring diagram if you want to use the Hella wiring?
Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

http://bambergvr6.50megs.com/hella_washer.htm

he explains how to do it here, but they are very very simple.
red to + battery
brown to - battery
purple to green with white stripe from old washer pump.
black to green with brown stripe from old washer pump.
blue and brown with black connector is for the new washer pump.
white with plastic connector is for the power from the headlight.

i think that is it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Brian,

I managed to paint my own stubby mirror cap silver. You can get the OEM paint in cans, just use your VIN to place the order.

Those caps are pretty small. I bet you could do a great job on them!

Lito

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
DC (really Fairfax county, but it is easier to say
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, Reflex Silver
Ok, another dumb question. Did you guys not re-attach the center bumper suuport? The euro bumper rebar has only on hole that doesn't line up with the support that comes on the car. Kennedy gave me a part number for a new support, but it is the same as the one I already have with 2 screw holes.
Brian

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Your instructions helped me considerably when I put my washers in yesterday. I ended up using the Hella wiring. It is set up to only spray when the lights are on. I also had to remove a wire guide that sat under the old tank. I just could not get the wiring harness for the lights, washer fluid level sensor, and side marker to route properly to reach everything with that wire guide there. I also didn't remove the intercooler. I did remove the fuel filter(just out of the bracket), the fuel filter bracket, the headlight, and the intercooler hoses.

I was worried about those fittings that go on the hoses between the new pump and the headlight washers. On my passenger side sprayer body the fitting wouldn't stay tightly "snapped" into position. I was worried it would pop off when I tried to use the washers, but it didn't(yet).

To cut the holes in the bumper I just drilled a bunch of small holes around the outline on my bumper cover. I have a wagon so I had the dimples. Then I just used a razor blade(like the ones you can use to cut drywall) and cut between the holes. It worked surprisingly well. Then I smoothed out the edges with the razor.

The only thing about the install that I don't like is that since I used the Hella wiring I have this relay block near my washer fluid tank and there is not good place to mount it. Oh, I also should mention that in addition to the euro rebar, you need a different lock carrier/support.

Brian

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Oops! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Forgot to add in my instructions that I removed the wire guide also! Sorry..

I didn't use the center support bracket and have had no problems so that is why I didn't include it in my explanation. (I should put the number of the bracket in there just for completness sake. As soon as I look it up I will.) /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Correct number has been added.

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
Quick question.. I'm trying find a bumper that has the dimples to use as a guide. Are they easy to see or do you really need to know where/what to look for to see them? Any idea where I could get a jetta bumper with the dimples?

Sawdust

If you h ave the dimples they will be very easy to see. Just look on the inside of the bumper, in the aproximent arear of where they will go, and if you have them you will see it.

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
Thanks... I know I don't have them but I keep trying to explain this to people who are selling bumpers but they just don't get it. Any idea where I could purchase a bumper with the dimples? I've had all the stuff to do this for like 3 months and I really wanna finish this mod

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
My dimples were really hard to see. I used a black magic marker to connect the dots when I had a lot of light shining on the spot. I doubt that you are going to be able to order a bumper with dimples unless you source it from Germany. Or if you can get one off a wagon in a scrap yard. You could just guesstimate. Cut a small hole in the bumper and put it back on the see whereabouts the nozzle and cover are going to sit. The way the bumper cover is designed it is kind of obvious as to where the approximate middle of the hole is going to be. Then just scrape away plastic with a razor blade until you get the shape you need. As long as you don't cut a huge hole you should be ok because the cover has a pretty big lip that can cover your screw-ups. Mine isn't cut too neat, but you can't tell because the holes are covered and when you do spray the headlights it happens so fast no one could possible notice a rough cut.

BTW, these things are great for winter. I kind of viewed them as a toy at first, but they do make a difference when driving in crappy weather at night.
Brian

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
I've never been good at guesstimating anything. Whatever it is always ends up all jacked up. Guess I'll just keep trying to track down a bumper with the dimples. Did any jetta bumpers ever come with the dimples at one time or has it always been only the wagon bumper

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Don't waste money on a new bumper...
It's not hard to free hand it.

Here's how do it.
First, aquire a dremel with one of those "routing bits". You want to route the hole so you can see what your doing and can be "slow and deliberate" as you widen the hole.

Install the rebar and sprayers. Leave your bumper cover loose, so you can take it off to check your work.

With the cover off, drill a hole right in the middle of the "sprayer section", as shown in Micheal Moores instructions. Reinstall your bumper skin snugly. Using a flashlight to locate the installed sprayer, carefully spiral from the center hole (or work towards the sprayer), using the installed sprayer as a centered reference point.

After the hole gets so big, you should be able to use a coat hanger or pick to reach into the hole and pull the sprayer up (to its spraying position) to see where it touches the bumper. Carefully dremel bumper away where the sprayer touches. It should pop up and down without making contact. Take your time, and pull the sprayer up often to get good measurements.

Once the sprayer is free, install the caps and release the sprayer. Note where the caps want to "seat" as the sprayers recoil into the bumper. The ridges on the underside of the caps should slide into the holes and lock the sprayer in place. Carefully dremel more bumper so the caps allow the sprayers to seat correctly.

When finished, clean up the sheared plastic, file the rough edges, and have a beer.

I think this is the best method because it gaurantees a "perfect fit. The bumper dimples leave room for tolerance error which could cause the sprayers to not seat correctly while at rest.

Yes, it takes balls. You got em, use em. It took me 6 months to get the balls to start hacking. It was a piece of cake when I got into it.
Here's some pics, note the almost perfect freehand holes.

Here's

DC-TDIWagon

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree with Kennedy. His instructions are what I was trying to say, just more complete. I also don't have a dremel. But did you see the Dremel kit Home Depot is selling? It has been $99 but this Fri, Sat and Sun it's $79.... Hmmmm...

Anyways, just try and do it. It may seem really scary to do, but it isn't that bad. Everyone that I know that has done it was worried about it, but once they did it they said it wasn't really that hard.
Brian

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
Hi there,

any idea where I can get the Hella kit for my Golf at a reasonable price?

Sawdust

[ QUOTE ]
Hi there,

any idea where I can get the Hella kit for my Golf at a reasonable price?

[/ QUOTE ]

PG Performace is where i got my kit. 350 regular. i got it for 280 when they had a 20% off sale.

TDi110

Veteran Member
Hi,

Can anyone give me the part numbers for the Headlight washer covers left/right for a Golf MK4.

For some reason I was told I needed the following part numbers, which from this post are for a Bora/Jetta:
1J5 955 109A Headlight Washer Cover, Left
1J5 955 110A Headlight Washer Cover, Right

When I tried to fit these, I found that the mounting points on the Jet carriers was to narrow. ie the cover was to big.

Can anyone asssit?

Thanks

TDi110

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Should be:

1J<font color="red">0</font> 955 109A Headlight Washer Cover, Left
1J<font color="red">0</font> 955 110A Headlight Washer Cover, Right

Nefarious1

TDI
03 Golf
That help tremendously... thank you /images/graemlins/smile.gif

And yeah... I'm still working up the courage to hack at my bumper

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic sedan galactic blue
Anyone has the dimension of the Jetta headlight washer caps? I am expecting my caps to arrive this week, but I want to drill my bumper since I've already installed my rebar/lock support/nozzles/washer tank.

BTW, I noticed on previous installation pics that ppl usually did the hoses without the pipe clips 17,5 (p/n# N-102-555-01) - the silver easy clips at the end of each hose. I am not sure if the clips help securing the hose to the connecting parts, but just found those on ETKA and they are not very expensive.