Heavy smoke after sitting for 3 months

eberg

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Manual - 2000 Golf TDI, Manual
I parked my 2000 Golf TDI for 3 months approximately. The car was running very well before I parked it and smoked very little.

After sitting, I was getting ready to re-insure it and put it back on the road, but now it smokes heavily and it does not seem to go away. Still starts easily.

Any ideas as to what it causing the smoke?

Thanks!

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Add some Diesel Additive, like LIQUI MOLY "SUPER DIESEL ADDITIVE"

eberg

TDI
I did not drive it, just idled it in the carport.

I will see if I can get some additive to put in the tank.

Thanks for the feedback!

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Rodents are quite possible. Take it out on the freeway. Any rodents will fly right out.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
What was the temp? If it was cold it would never really warm up just idling. Also maybe a little air got in and needs to work its way through.

How long did you run it?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
How old is the fuel?

As has been suggested, check air pathways for critter crud. Last Spring I had to do a heavy clean-up of my truck's air box and filter due to mouse activity.

Not likely going to be able to idle away this situation. Car needs to be taken out and run, needs to get amply warm.

If it's been a while since changing your fuel filter then perhaps do so and that would give you the opportunity to do a Diesel Purge (there's a youtube video on this- note that it's not just dumping stuff into your fuel tank!).

eberg

TDI
Thank you guys! I will definitely check the air intake. See what I find. There are a lot of cats around where I live, so rodents are rarely seen, but ya never know I suppose.

Temperatures are typical for the year, close to the freezing mark during the night and a few degrees above during the day.

I only idled it for 5 minutes so it was hardly warming up but the smoke had me wanting to shut it off and leave.

Tank is almost full - fuel is 3-4 months old.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yeah 5 mins does nothing for burning off anything in the exhaust. If you're sure there are no obstructions drive the damn thing.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How long does/did the glow plug light stay on? Although you say it's starting well it could be a marginal GP system and post start there's not a strong after-glow.

That fuel is likely "summer" fuel, so there might have been some gelling (we had some pretty low temps a few weeks back). I recently experienced this with my tractor: I have a 150 gallon fuel tank and I'd had it filled last October before the switch to winter diesel; had some fuel issues with my new tractor which might be attributable to this (primary culprit may have been blockage at the line out of the fuel tank- ice?); I dumped in some treatment into both the tractor's fuel tank and the storage tank and have been fine since.

eberg

TDI
How long does/did the glow plug light stay on? Although you say it's starting well it could be a marginal GP system and post start there's not a strong after-glow.

That fuel is likely "summer" fuel, so there might have been some gelling (we had some pretty low temps a few weeks back). I recently experienced this with my tractor: I have a 150 gallon fuel tank and I'd had it filled last October before the switch to winter diesel; had some fuel issues with my new tractor which might be attributable to this (primary culprit may have been blockage at the line out of the fuel tank- ice?); I dumped in some treatment into both the tractor's fuel tank and the storage tank and have been fine since.

Did not think of the fact that it is most likely summer fuel. Good point!
Glow time is normal, probably 4-5 seconds.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
summer fuel would be harder to start but once running you would not notice a differance unless it was very cold like -15c or less and then it could gel on you and stop running..... but it will not cause it to smoke more.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
those cars are like that if they sit for a long time. Not really a big deal usually.

Dump a big bottle of power service in the fuel tank and run the car until the tank is 1/4 tank or less, then fill up completely.

Change the fuel filter, should be good to go.

Probably change the oil too but any moisture may just evaporate after it runs a while.

rodents are a real potential problem. Potential problem... they love to nest in the air filter housing and cabin filter. When my beetle sat for a year once I found a bunch of mice nesting in the cabin filter. Smelled pretty bad until it was found and remedied. LOL. fun story.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I too had a mouse nest in the cabin air filter housing. Several years ago a squirrel got tangled in my serp. belt and popped it off when I was in traffic. He had chewed up the hood liner making a big mess of my clean engine bay.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My truck is permanently stenched due to a dead mouse (no idea where). Lesson learned: DO NOT use poison! (traps only)