Heated washer nozzels - for those of us who don't have them

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Heated washer nozzels - for those of us who don\'t have them

For MOGOLF:

I don't have the cold weather package. I picked up (about a year ago) a set of heated washer nozzels for $10.00(pair). They were sitting around and I almost didn't install them until I looked at Dieselboy's car one day.

He was nice enough to let me open up the plastic access holes underneath the hood. Upon inspection, I was able to confirm the wiring connector and location of wires.

The nozzels are connected full time to switched power. Fuse #1 - 10amps.

I ran the power wire up through the water-tight box in the plenum chamber across the car(under the wipers, in front of the ECU)up the hinge and through the grommet and into the hood.

I used the ground near the ECU.

The heated nozzels come out very easily as do the washer fluid connectors.

I will post the connectors and parts once I go back and find the information.

Lito

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
Re: Heated washer nozzels - for those of us who don\'t have them

I have OEM heated like lito put on his car and they work great on heavy frost, no scraping for me.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .

Yes those heated washers work great, but with cold weather package there is also a heating element in coolant bottle so I'm told. I can't say I've ever looked, just going by what a local independent VW Mechanic told me.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)

Old Navy:

Not sure what you mean by "coolant bottle", but for sure there is no heating element in the windshield washer fluid reservoir on cars that are equipped with the cold weather package (which includes the heated washer nozzles).

Any form of pre-heating of the windshield washer fluid would be counterproductive, because in most countries, alcohol is used as the antifreeze component of the winter grade washer fluid. If you were to pre-heat the fluid, the alcohol would evaporate, because it has a lower evaporation temperature than the other liquid components.

The heated nozzles don't heat the fluid in any way as the fluid passes through them. The only purpose served by heating the nozzles is to ensure that water, ice, etc. from outside sources (falling snow, whatever the wipers clean off the glass, etc.) does not freeze on or in the nozzle opening, thus blocking the flow of windshield washer fluid.

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Originally posted by Michael Moore:
The heated nozzles don't heat the fluid in any way as the fluid passes through them. The only purpose served by heating the nozzles is to ensure that water, ice, etc. from outside sources (falling snow, whatever the wipers clean off the glass, etc.) does not freeze on or in the nozzle opening, thus blocking the flow of windshield washer fluid.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Okay, sure, but my experience after living through 5 Chicago winters is that it's the road salt more than anything that blocks the flow of the nozzles. Does anyone who doesn't have heated washer nozzles and lives in a cold climate really wish they had these?

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Originally posted by je:
Now I know why, the heated elements are those blue LEDs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">LOL! Oh, yeah, now I want some!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Thanks to Brbarian, who helped me with the installation.

Lito

Westy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI Auto.

PLEASE for all of mankind's sake, don't put the LED washer nozzles on your VW. Leave them for the boy racer Honda crowd.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)

I've had heated washer nozzles for 3 years and hadn't remembered!

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Originally posted by tongsli:
...I looked at Dieselboy's car one day.
He was nice enough to let me open up the plastic access holes underneath the hood.Lito
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Lito...always glad to help.
BTW...let me know if you want to check out my blue LEDs.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White

Originally posted by spoilsport:
I've had heated washer nozzles for 3 years and hadn't remembered!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If you added blue LEDs, they would remind you!

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Superb 2.5TDI V6, Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI

Hi

I am about to fit heated nozzles. Is there a pre-wired point where these hook up to or should I get power myself?

Also, if you have connector part numbers, please let us all know before I chop them off /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black

[ QUOTE ]
I have OEM heated like lito put on his car and they work great on heavy frost, no scraping for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The heated nozzles don't heat the fluid in any way as the fluid passes through them.

[/ QUOTE ] Okay, I realize these are old posts, but... /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Octavian,

Please post a pic of the heated nozzel connector. I can't remember what it looks like.

L

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
Octavian,

Please post a pic of the heated nozzel connector. I can't remember what it looks like.

L

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are 2 pictures:

I'd be grateful if you could post part numbers for the other connector AND for the part shown (with wires/etc),
as I could use it in my other mods (headlight levelling).

Also, where exactly did you hook the power up to?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The connector you need for that piece is

1J0 973 702;
use the repair wires 000 979 131;
yellow wiring seals 3B0 972 742B

The connector on the end of that washer nozzle is 1J0 973 802

Power comes from fuse #1. 10amps, switched. You will most likely have a wire in fuse 1. Make sure you tap onto the correct wire.

There will be two:

Black/yellow - DO NOT TAP THIS WIRE;it goes to the 75x post and is before the fuse.

Black/brown - Tap this wire; this is afterthe fuse.

L

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI

[ QUOTE ]
The connector you need for that piece is

1J0 973 702;
use the repair wires 000 979 131;
yellow wiring seals 3B0 972 742B

The connector on the end of that washer nozzle is 1J0 973 802

Power comes from fuse #1. 10amps, switched. You will most likely have a wire in fuse 1. Make sure you tap onto the correct wire.

There will be two:

Black/yellow - DO NOT TAP THIS WIRE;it goes to the 75x post and is before the fuse.

Black/brown - Tap this wire; this is afterthe fuse.

L

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I'll do the install as soon as I get the connectors.

One last question:
Which repair wire and seal fit the existing connector (1J0 973 802)?

This will help me rejig my headlight levelling mod so that I can remove left headlight more easily.

I finally have a digital camera, as soon as I am done with the mods and wash the car, I'll post some pics /images/graemlins/cool.gif

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Same wiring seals
Repair wire for 1J0 973 802: 000 979 132

L

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Looking forward to the pictures /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Octavian

Veteran Member
TDI

Will take a while, I have to finish all the mods first, and they have to stop salting the roads so that my thorugh car washing makes sense /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Hopefully beginning of March.

But I promise a comprehensive virtual tour of facilities /images/graemlins/smile.gif

LeeM

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE, 2002 Jetta Reflex Silver

Lito do you have the part number for the heated nozzles?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

The part number for the heated nozzel is 1999-2001 6E0 955 986, 2002-2005 6E0 955 986A. Don't have any idea what the difference between them, maybe the electrical connector?

By the way, it's the SAME part number for the PD's as well.

L

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
So is the consensus that these don't actually heat the fluid itself any? And if I wanted to do that I would need a product like the HotShot?

Hmm... I wonder if the Passat has these....

-Jason

tamorgen

Veteran Member
This past weekend it was so cold here in Maryland that my nozzles froze up. Now I am seriously considering this retrofit. I don't ever remember my washer nozzles freezing before.

From what I remember, the nozzles are in the hood itself (correct me if I'm wrong). Where does the wiring run?

tamorgen

Veteran Member
Octavian said:
Here are 2 pictures:

Now that the weather is really cold here in Maryland, I'm looking at picking up a pair. I looked under the hood of a buddy of mine's 99.5 Jetta TDI, and his heated nozzels have a white connector, not the one pictured above. Does anybody know the part number for the housing that it hooks up to?

This, btw, is the 6E0 955 986B (2002-2005), but it looks like the same on on his 1999.5. The 6E0 955 986 and 6E0 955 986A seem to be superceeded.

Last edited:

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I bought my car used so I'm not sure if it has the cold weather package. I've got heated seats and have never had my washer nozzles freeze up... how would one know if they also have heated nozzles?

tamorgen

Veteran Member
unL33T said:
I bought my car used so I'm not sure if it has the cold weather package. I've got heated seats and have never had my washer nozzles freeze up... how would one know if they also have heated nozzles?
Two ways. If you have ETKA, take your VIN and enter it into it. One of the last things on the features list will be heated washer nozzles.

The other way, open up your hood. On the passengers side, near the hood hinge, is a plug and a tube coming from the hood into the hinged area. In the plug, there are two points that things come out. The larger of the two is for the fluid from the washer tank. The smaller you may or may not see two wires. If you see two wires, then you have heated nozzles. If you don't, then you don't.

But, since you are in Canada, and have heated seats, you probably have the cold weather package. VW would be stupid not to sell all of their cars in Canada without it. My guess is you have it.