Heated seats.......

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ok, there are really 4 different lists of parts you'll need to wire the heated seats. They depend on what plug you have at the seat. I've simplified the list into 2. The first one is for seats with a 6 pin connector at the seat:

Heated seats parts list, old style 6pin seat connector (I think 2001 and earlier)

Part # quantity Description Price each Total price
1J0-936-563C01C 1 Drivers side switch (leather) $31.30 $31.30
1J0-936-564C01C 1 Passengers side switch (leather) $31.30 $31.30
8L0-971-972 2 Six pin connectors at switch $3.16 x 2 $6.32
1J0-937-713 2 1st half of 6 pin connectors at seat $0.95 x2 $1.90
1J0-937-714 2 2nd half of 6 pin connectors at seat $0.95 x2 $1.90
000-979-227 5 larger terminal 2.5mm repair wire $2.34 x 5 $11.70
000-979-135 4 larger terminal 1mm repair wire $1.74 x 4 $6.96
000-979-225 3 smaller terminal 2.5mm repair wire $2.34 x 3 $7.02
????? 4 +1/4" ring terminals for grounds $2 or $3 $3.00
????? ????? various sized heat shrink tubing $5.00 $5.00
????? ????? various gauge wire $20.00 $20.00

Estimated total cost for wiring $126.40

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Ok, I found out my seats (recovered frankenstein seats) are missing an intermediate harness, so the below information is not valid. My seats should have the harness shown in this photo:

Heated seats parts list, new style 4pin seat connector (I think 2002 and later)

Part # quantity description Price each Total price
1J0-936-563 1 Drivers side switch $31.30 $31.30
1J0-936-564 1 Passengers side switch $31.30 $31.30
8L0-971-972 2 six pin connectors at switch $3.16 x 2 $6.32
1J0-972-722 2 4 pin connectors at seat $1.36 x2 $2.72
000-979-227 3 larger terminal 2.5mm repair wire $2.34 $7.02
000-979-135 4 larger terminal 1mm repair wire $1.74 x 4 $6.96
000-979-225 5 smaller terminal 2.5mm repair wire $2.34 x 5 $11.70
????? 4 +1/4" ring terminals for grounds 2 or 3 $ $3.00
????? ????? various sized heat shrink tubing $5.00 $5.00
????? ????? various gauge wire $20.00 $20.00

Estimated total cost for wiring $125.32

ducatipaso

Airhead Butcher
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
bringing this back from the dead... i'm planning on doing this to my TDI. i already have the leather GTI sport seats installed... YUMMY.

can anyone tell me if there have been any revelations about this mod since 2001? i would dig it if someone was selling a premade harness

EECSentric

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL DSG LP
Jerry at impex was really helpful in finding the parts to install heated seats. It turns out though that going with OEM new stock is cost prohibitive. Left and Right switches are about $30.33 each, which seems pretty reasonable. However, the heater pads are sewn into the cloth seat covers and cost $208 per cover, which at two per seat and two seats works out to over $900 with all the extra interconnects.

So it seems to me, unless someone is selling heated seat covers or seats from a seat upgrade or wreck, the cheapest way to do this install is to use the heater pads from ipdusa for $80 each and get the VW OEM switches.

The question is, what is the current draw of the VW heating pads and what is the value of the thermistor in the seat (labled G59 and G60 in the Leather heated seat wiring diagram)? Could someone with heated seats measure the resistance of G59 while cold (at room temperature) and the current through all the heaters? Or is this information in the Bentley manual?

Thank you (this follows another tdi club thread on heated seats).

Creede

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS TDI Black on Beige
Read through this post , and this page . I think that should sum it all up. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. Good luck.
By the way, I love mine!

penclnck

Bump from the dead.

I found this site selling seat heaters and it says they're the same one's used in the golf and jetta, anyone got a clue if these would work?

http://www.heaterseats.com/products.html
I found them lastnight (wife whining about how cold her truck is and how she misses the Jetta's heated seats). The material does look a LOT like the stuff in VW seats. Some heater elements are part of the seat cover directly, others are have sticky-back on them and you stick them to the foam padding and then the seat cover is laid down.

I may get a pair of them for my wife's truck as a Xmas gift.... scratch that... just ordered a pair as a Xmas gift (give what you would like to recieve.... hmmmm heated rear seats... hmmmm).

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Hi all!

I'd like to have some help about this modification please. (So, excuse me for my english, I'm french ;) )

So,

I have done all the modifications.

I have bought:
- original wiring kit,
- original VW heating system (get from crached car) Bought on ebay,
- 2 originals switchs,

All the building is ok. You can see some pictures about my work on the next pictures.

But I have a problem:
In fact, the heat is working only on the 5th position of the switchs :( And it is less efficient than when I connected heating system directly on car battery)
I think it's because I shouldn't have the thermal sensor... (like sayed by EECSentric) But What/where is it? a little box? or is it into the heating system ?
We can see it on this document http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/517/1305leather_heated_seats.pdf (G59 and G60)

Can someone say me if you have a box? like on this picture (not my kit)? (I think it is an old system)

Thanks a lot for your help :)

Baleyba

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
When I did the install I wonly used the seats, switches and the plug ends then I merely used wire that I had and hooked them up to power and ground. I have heard that there are different heaters and switches for leather seats. Are your switches and heating elements both from a leather car or cloth car or is your setup from a cloth car and a leather car?

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Hi,

My heating system come form a cloth car.
The switch a the ref:
Ref. 1J0 963 564 B 01C (right)
Ref. 1J0 963 563 B 01C(left)

I don't know other ref for switchs ???

I bought the cable on ebay.

My sensor seems to be ok...

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Hi,

I have found the thermal sensor into the heating systems!

I check the thermal sensors this afternoon and they are ok..
I don't understand why it is working only in the 5th position of the 2 switchs...
:(

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Baleyba said:
Hi,

I have found the thermal sensor into the heating systems!

I check the thermal sensors this afternoon and they are ok..
I don't understand why it is working only in the 5th position of the 2 switchs...
:(
when I first installed mine I thought the same thing but now I've learned to use #5 for the first 20 minutes in the car then switch them down to #3 or #4 as they get too hot and even at #3 I might turn them off as the back sweat will build up if the a/c is not cool enough

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Thanks for your answer.

Position #5 is ok, but if I use #4 or #3 position, the heating system stop working and become cool...
Do you think the problem could be my switchs ?

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
my seats were the same. don't buy anything. With the way the mk4 seats have been know to over heat and burn a hole in the seat I have found it best to manually turn off or down the heat when it gets too hot. When I first got mine installed I thought the switches were broken but now I'm happy.

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
I've read some example of burning too...
Ok, so you only use the 5th position?

But it is not a normal behaviour that 1, 2, 3 and 4th positions don't work. How do you explain that ?

In fact I'd rather to use the 3rd or 4th position to have a lower and more regular heat.

(excuse me for my english ;) )

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When ever I use the heated seats I initially set the seats to 5 and after they have heated up I manually turn them down to 4 or 3. which are warm but often I turn them back up to get the desired heat and then turn them down. Over the coarse of a 4 hour trip I touch the controls a maximum of 4-5 times. If you think that is too much then you should prepare yourself for buying new switches and possibly having a seat burn though if you let it get too hot.

I've been running my setup for 120K miles and 3 years and have yet to run into any issues

2 & 1 are never used

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
ok G60ING

Thanks a lot for these informations!
So I can consider my switch are dead...

But, with new switch before burning, we must feel the big heat and stop the system, ot not ?

Thanks

Bal.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no idea I would suggest you use the old switches for a few months before you buy new ones because I was once think my switches were garbage. I cheap and didn't buy new ones and these work fine now. I'd suggest you give it time.

Baleyba

TDI
Golf IV 2003 (4doors)
Ah... ok!
I understand what you means.
I will put my switch on the 4th position all the time and wait until it s work. :D Maybe, as you are describing, it will work...

That's a good idea! Thanks again for your feedback!

:)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just use the #5 position and then turn it down to #4 when it gets too hot. If #4 gets too cool then turn back up to #5. Wait and see I don't think its broken I doubt mine were broken

falcon50

TDI Parts Harness

My goal is to have the installation as simple as possible. With that in mind does it make sense to use the TDI Parts "Heated Seat Retrofit Wiring Harness (A4)"?
I am installing '04 Jetta Heated Seats in an '04 Golf TDI.

Jon_Mutiger

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 6sp
I just did heated GTI seats in my 2-door TDI. There are 2 wires from each seat up to the switches behind the dash. The switches are basically thermo-relay things. Then you have 4 other wires to the switches, switched and unswitched power, ground and dash lights.

It's actually a fairly easy install.

The only thing that confused me was the pin out numbers on the diagrams aren't right. There are 6 pins on the back of the switches, but they are 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 skipping #4. If you use the diagram, just use the logical order. It does work, and my seats do work on all settings, using a tester.

I think the problem is that the thermo switch in the seat might vary from seat to seat, so #1 on my car and #1 on your car might actually be different..
It's nice to have heated seats again.

Jon

ravipedrosa

TDI
MK4 Jetta VR6
bringing this back up does anyone here know what part number is the purple(originaly green on the diagram) wire coming out of the pins 1 and 3 from the seats plugs?

Aquell

TDI
Golf 1.9 GT-TDI 130
Please Help Me Diagnose Heated Seat Problem

Hi,

I am new to reparing/modding my golf and am looking for some help in diagnosing the problem with my heated seats.

I have a MK4 2005.5 Golf GTTDI 130, the driver's seat heats up fine, however the passenger seat does not heat up in any part of it. I have checked the fuse as I believe it is the same fuse as for the driver's seat and this is fine.

Would I be correct in thinking that it would be unusual for all the elements in the seat to fail at once, or is it a case of if one fails then it would break the entire circuit?

Could anyone help describe the steps I should go through to diagnose what the problems could be before biting the bullet and deciding whether to get VW to replace the heating elements or not.

Thanks in advance,

Aquell

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
could be the switch