Heated seats.......

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Has anyone retrofitted a stock harness plus the carbon fiber aftermarket elements in to a vehicle that did not come stock with heated seats?
I'm thinking of adding heated seats to my car; and, my wife's car's heated seats might be on the fritz, so fir sure I'm going to have to deal with this. Also, can the stock switches be used? The aftermarket switches look like they'd need to be mounted on their sides.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
So sad when people post links to third party sites and then the links are killed off rendering thread useless....or much less useful.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Has anyone retrofitted a stock harness plus the carbon fiber aftermarket elements in to a vehicle that did not come stock with heated seats?
I'm thinking of adding heated seats to my car; and, my wife's car's heated seats might be on the fritz, so fir sure I'm going to have to deal with this. Also, can the stock switches be used? The aftermarket switches look like they'd need to be mounted on their sides.

I've often wondered this. The aftermarket switches don't look great and are bulky.

I recent spoke with someone who installed the cheap eBay kit in his VW bus. He said they're great and work better than factory heaters. I may go this route in my old Rabbit, but I'd like to use factory switches.

-Todd

hremus

TDI
101 AXR
I install carbon fiber elements with oem harness since 2007. You just have to remove the thermostat from each element , ant install a thermistor 10-15K NTC on each seat.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hremus, do you do (are there) seat back elements here as well?

I'm surprised that the elements themselves don't come with the thermistors.

I've had this kind of project on my list (toward the bottom) for some time and am still trying to decide whether to go this route or to just pick up a set of OEM heated seats. Either way, where is the best place to pick up the necessary wiring harnesses? (leery of used stuff, aging insulation and such)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You just have to remove the thermostat from each element , ant install a thermistor 10-15K NTC on each seat.
One thermistor for each seat, meaning 1 thermistor for 2 elements?

I'm guessing you leave the factory relays in place?

-Todd

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can someone clarify what hremus is mentioning? Do the thermistors go ON the seats in order to accommodate the stock switches, it's a pairing of the aftermarket elements and the stock switches? And, would these supplant any existing such parts in the aftermarket kits?

I'm really wanting to retain the stock look/switches while using aftermarket heating elements. Aftermarket switches' illumination colors, as well as physical size, don't appear to match up all that well.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Can someone clarify what hremus is mentioning? Do the thermistors go ON the seats in order to accommodate the stock switches, it's a pairing of the aftermarket elements and the stock switches? And, would these supplant any existing such parts in the aftermarket kits?

I'm really wanting to retain the stock look/switches while using aftermarket heating elements. Aftermarket switches' illumination colors, as well as physical size, don't appear to match up all that well.

Post #3, I think it's a way to do away with the sensor

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=7269

I'm looking at it because my drivers seat heat doesn't work

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seatman, I couldn't quite find any answers in that post, but on page 8 of this thread is, I believe, the answer.

kbrenny, in post #112, states that he found that a 6.8K thermistor was found to more closely map to the OEM element's operation (he tested how the OEM elements worked).

hremus, in post #114, states that you should remove the thermostat in the aftermarket elements (cut out and join element's wires together).

So, remove the thermostat from the aftermarket elements and put an 6.8K termistor using the description supplied by hremus in post #107.

This is only for using OEM switches with aftermarket heating elements.

I sure hope I'm reading this correctly.

And if you get yours fixed then you'll really be "Seatman!":D

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Well I'm going to check that little heat sensor thing, see if I have the common broken wire I can solder up. If it's the element though I also have a jeweller friend who can silver solder too so I think it'll be oem in my case.

Need to read up on the glue required though as I want to swap out the base cushion, got a nice one from a passenger seat.

Also need to unstitch the airbag badge and move it to the other side too for the back cover.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I tend to prefer to stay stock, but in some cases aftermarket begs to do otherwise. I suppose it's my experience in repairing seats on another car twice before finally breaking down and replacing the entire heating element. Doing this job once is enough for me! It's this reason why I'm leaning a bit harder on going aftermarket.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In a few months, it's going to be heater time. Either of you delve into the factory switch with aftermarket heaters?

-Todd

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Todd, no real traction yet. I'm still undecided on which way I'm going to go. I keep holding out hope that I can locate some good beige, heated cloth seats, though it's looking like it's not going to happen before winter sets in.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Todd, no real traction yet. I'm still undecided on which way I'm going to go. I keep holding out hope that I can locate some good beige, heated cloth seats, though it's looking like it's not going to happen before winter sets in.
Another possibility is adding Passat heated, power seats, I just did that to my golf. My Golf already had heated seats but did not have the power option. Now it has both.

I took out my beige heated seats, they were in fair shape no cuts or wear marks just in need of a good cleaning.

The Passat seats will fit but you would need to swap out the lower frame. The Passat frame is about 1/2 inch wider than the Golf frame and will not line up in the track.

I found a set of black leather seats, so I now have a two tone black/beige interior and I think it looks fine. Think how much extra you would have to pay for a two tone interior if you were buying new. The Passat seats are more comfy than the Golf seats just in case you were wondering.

I tapped the power part of the seats into the cigarette lighter wiring, that part was very easy to do. However it sounds like you don't already have the heated option as I did on mine so a bit tougher. There is a write up on myturbodiesel, I think or maybe vortex, I forget which.

If you have a two door Golf you would not be able to swap the two door seat frame from your Golf to the Passat they are set up different because the 2 door seat frame folds and the Passat does not.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I've got beige leather seats from a 2006 B6 Passat. They are power, heated with seat position memory.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I've got beige leather seats from a 2006 B6 Passat. They are power, heated with seat position memory.

Well UhOh, there you go. You couldnt ask for more:).

My seats have memory also but I havent hooked it up yet. I thought that might be a project for this winter.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I can find leather (just picked some up, in beige, for the daughter's wagon because hers are crap). I cannot find CLOTH.

The power seats are also something I'm trying to avoid because I really want to reduce the complications here. If I were to do this to my car then I'd have to do it to my wife's car.

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Bringing this back from the dead once again. 2000 TDI Jetta heated cloth with donor leather, heated and power seats from a 2002 GLX VR6. Quite a bit of reading (may have read this already and the light bulb didnt go off) but where to get power for the seats to move? I have the harness from the seats to where it went into the floor and it was cut off there. The rear seats are done and installed (easy) and the door panels are just waiting on me to have free time to get those done also. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tap into the cigarette lighter power supply. Run the wires right under the carpet, no one will ever know. There is a write up on myturbodiesel.com

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Fuse SC44 is for power seats. 30A fuse. Either put the wire terminal in the box and install fuse like OEM, or just fuse tap the front side and hang fuse holder next to/ behind fuse panel. Keeps loads separate and safe. Also makes diag later easier when something breaks.

Jason

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Fuse SC44 is for power seats. 30A fuse. Either put the wire terminal in the box and install fuse like OEM, or just fuse tap the front side and hang fuse holder next to/ behind fuse panel. Keeps loads separate and safe. Also makes diag later easier when something breaks.

Jason

Will that require a cable run or were the cars prewired (harness) for the seats. From what I understand the TDI's were never made available in the US with power leather or leather for that matter at least for the MK4.

Thanks!

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
I know for a fact that MK4 TDI Jetta's were available from the factory with heated leather (manual) seats because I own one (2001 GLS TDI.)

I've never seen an MK4 TDI Jetta with power seats installed from the factory though. The only MK4's with power seats that I've seen were gas models, GLX's I think.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Will that require a cable run or were the cars prewired (harness) for the seats. From what I understand the TDI's were never made available in the US with power leather or leather for that matter at least for the MK4.
Thanks!
Cable run to the fuse panel on Mk4 is not any longer or more complicated than to the fuse panel.

Heated leather but no power seats. I take it you aren't worried about memory settings then?

Jason

slayer3055

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Cable run to the fuse panel on Mk4 is not any longer or more complicated than to the fuse panel.
Heated leather but no power seats. I take it you aren't worried about memory settings then?
Jason
The memory will not work without another module from what I understand. Im the only one that drives it. Wife can't and has no desire to drive a 5-speed. LOL My existing seats are heated cloth. Donor car was a GLX VR6.

TDI
2003 Golf TDI (MK IV - ALH)
Completed most of the wiring, and just waiting for some harness parts to come in.

One question, on the wiring diagrams, does the "30 unswitched power" refer to the "30" or the "30A" power source?