heated seats vs tdi heater

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
What are the advantages of a tdi heater. I've done searches for the TDI heater and still don't know if the heater is suppose to warm up the engine, just the coolant, or just the interior. :confused: Also, how long does it take to install heated seats or the TDI heater to a 02 j wagon by experienced installers?

TIA,
Jess

ScorpionBoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
i thought the tdi heater was just for the motor. i think there is an electric cabin heater available for the cold weather package in newer models.
can't answer the install question, but i can tell you that it will be money well spent. i love the heated seats.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Jess,
From my understanding, the TDIheater is a heater hooked to your coolant. thus keeping your engine warm, making the warm up a LOT faster and being able to use the heater a lot quicker also.

The TDIheater has a massive advantage as it helps minimize start up waer and tear that ALL engines go through. you living in a cold climate can benefit from a tdi heater.

the seats just warm your bottom. which is a NICE thing too!! :)

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The TDI heater gives you quicker heat from the air vents. The seat heaters warm the seat :)

I have a TDI Heater, but wish I had seat heaters as well. If you live in a cold climate, the seat heaters are a very very nice feature.

-Jason

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
yes, the tdi heater is just for the coolant. it attaches to the lines coming from the oil cooler. when installed, you plug the heater in to an electrical outlet, and it warms up and circulates the coolant, making starting easier in the cold. it has the added benefit of heating up the whole engine bay and the oil pan from the heat it throws off. plus, you get cabin heat from the z/c automatically when you start up. it's best to plug it in when you go to bed and let it work overnite, if it is going to be very cold the next morning. it needs at least 2-3 hrs. to heat things up.

Last edited:

jessica_rabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Manual Jetta Wagon (sold) *@*
So you have to plug the TDI heater into an electric outlet? What happens when you don't have an outlet to plug in as when the car is parked outside on the street and don't have a garage? If pluged into the car power outlet, wouldn't that drain the car battery, especially on short trips when the baterry doesn't have enough time to recharge?

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Correct. Coolant heaters are only useful if you have outlet access in a garage or can run an extension cord.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
nicklockard said:
Coolant heaters are only useful if you have outlet access in a garage or can run an extension cord.

Not if you're name is tongsli !

Ms. Wabbit, can you say Standheizung :)

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
TDI engines have many wonderful attributes. I wouldn't trade mine for any other car I've ever owned. BUT, getting the engine hot on a cold winter day is not one of them. Takes about 12 minutes at highway speeds to get it warm enough to make the heater much worth turning on. Longer than that in stop and go traffic where you are sittting and idling (the temp gauge will fall while you are at a stop light on a cold enough day).

Now, the good news is that once you get it warm, the heater will run you out of the car very quickly with the amount of heat it puts out if you want to leave it on high. Once hot, its the hottest heater ever. However, its the slowest car to get to the point where you are getting some useful heat out of the heater that I've ever had. You win some, you lose some, but generating heat fast when its cold is not what a TDI is designed to do.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
An experienced installer(me in this case) can do heated seats in about 2 hours. This is assuming you are using a kufatec wiring harness for the seats and are just swapping in a set of seats with the heating elements already in them. Totaly cost in parts is around $250.

peteman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI 504 000 km and 2003 Golf TDI 225 000 km
Tdi heaters are great. I guess in warmer climates you don't have access to a plug in in as many places as we have (i.e. work and home..which is a condo). We have them everywhere here. Sometimes you can snag an employee spot at the grocery store and plug 'er in. As for heated seats, they're great as long as they don't catch fire. I'm speaking from experience here.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I can't comment about the engine heaters. I have never "needed" one even at less than -20º F but I sure like the heated seats I have.

oguzooz

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
This all depends on your situation.

Heated seats are AMAZING i had them in my 00 VR. started the car up and put the heated seats on 5 and walked away. they took 5 mins to get nice and toasty. so i walk bacl to my car hop in. and my butt is warm while my arms and legs are freezing.

problem is. running the wires is SURE to be a *****. some cars had them pre run. but they dont have the dials/ seat heaters.

If thats the case. new seats, and cheap 20$ dials off someone else.

TDI HEATER AKA block heater?
I bet that would be nice over in CO. no more jerky driving when you are trying to let your car heat up while you go easy on the tranny and engine.

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Joe_Meehan said:
I can't comment about the engine heaters. I have never "needed" one even at less than -20º F but I sure like the heated seats I have.
It isn’t a question of “need.” My Golf has started easily at –35F without it. It is a question of comfort and engine/component wear. It is nice to have warm air flowing from the vents immediately after startup. Windows defrost much faster also. We all know that engine wear, starter drag, and battery drain at starting, is much less with a warm engine.

There are expensive engine heater options if you don’t have a plug-in - little diesel fired burners that run in the +-$1k range.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
DIESELprogrammer said:
It isn’t a question of “need.” My Golf has started easily at –35F without it. It is a question of comfort ...
Yea, that is why I put it in quotes. ;)

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
DIESELprogrammer said:
There are expensive engine heater options if you don’t have a plug-in - little diesel fired burners that run in the +-$1k range.
http://www.webasto.us/am/en/am_auto_heaters.html

i think this is the other option many people go with. i believe it heats much more quickly and doesn't require an outlet. however, i don't think you can install yourself, and it is much more expensive.