Heated Mirrors (Wiring to Rear Defrost Switch)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
That's alot of work

BoosTDIt said:
Anything similar to this available to us ??
Search didn't show any specifics...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec.html

Also what is the latest version for the rear defrost switch?
First of all, the Bora's side mirror heating is already wired to operate with the defrost switch. And, our existing defrost switch has extra pin location which acts as a trigger.

So all that's needed is to run one wire from the defrost switch down to the CCM at the correct pin location and it's done. Buy a new mirror switch without the heating setting and you're done.

Lito

Last edited:

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
Anyone have a link with the instructions for this? Pin at the defrost switch to what pin at the CCM? :confused:

RickD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JETTA TDI
do you think you could run a "jumper" wire from the defrost fuse,to the heated mirror fuse ?

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
tongsli said:
First of all, the Bora's side mirror heating is already wired to operate with the defrost switch.
Lito
Not on my 2k Jetta its not ....

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
weasel said:
What Lito meant is that the capability is there. VW wired them funny for some strange reason in the Jetta but you can hook them back up "right", (the Bora way), by running a wire from the defrost switch to the CCM.

The question is which pin from the defrost switch to which pin on the CCM. :confused:

Last edited:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
weasel said:
Unless something changed, I don't think your Jetta is a Bora. I've never said the Jettas are wired that way.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Gotcha. I am still on the fence as to whether I'd like to do this or not. It is nice to have independent control. I just wish either of them had some sort of timer. I guess I could replace the defroster switch with one that has a timer, but I don't often forget that one on. The mirrors on the other hand ...

thatvan

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Remove pin T23/1 from the central control module. Connect a new wire to T7/3 at the defrost switch to pin T23/1 at the central control module.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
thatvan said:
Remove pin T23/1 from the central control module. Connect a new wire to T7/3 at the defrost switch to pin T23/1 at the central control module.
Only for Model Year 2001 and older. If you replace the door switch, removing pin 1 isn't necessary

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
thatvan said:
T23/1 or T23/16?

According to Bentley T23/1 is the connection to the door contact switch.

T23/16 is for the connection to the defrost switch.

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
Not yet - fuel is too cheap! - 3.2 VR6 R32
BoosTDIt said:
i have one already - with a 0 and fold :)
Would you please be able to advise the actual part number of this switch that you have?

I've been looking for a "0 and fold" switch Part number.

I can only come up with a "heater and fold" part number so far.

It suits a Golf IV - correct?

Thanks.

My car has the mirrors connected to the HRW switch, which I swapped out for the timer version. So the mirror switch in the door has the "0".

I'm working up to folding mirrors.:)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Occams_Razor said:
T23/1 or T23/16?

According to Bentley T23/1 is the connection to the door contact switch.

T23/16 is for the connection to the defrost switch.
T23/1 is for MODEL YEAR 2001 and older.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
BoosTDIt said:
i have one already - with a 0 and fold :)
motors too just need $$ for the housings:)
Anyone have the part number for the correct switch?

1j1 959 565E 01C is correct for heated and folding but I am looking for non-heated and folding.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ramon,

I may have to pull my switch as John and I could not find it in ETKA.

They may not make it anymore! :(

L

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Occams_Razor said:
Anyone have the part number for the correct switch?

1j1 959 565E 01C is correct for heated and folding but I am looking for non-heated and folding.
I looked in ETKA and 1j1 959 565A 01C was superceded by part number 1J1 959 565B 01C but 565B appears on IMPEX as the heated mirror/folding switch. :(

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ramon,

I have a switch at home and it's a suffix C. John(at Impex) is ordering one so that we can verify that the suffix C is indeed what you want. ETKA says mirror heating, but ETKA's been wrong before.

Lito

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
I found a RHD Japanese Golf down at the wreckers today which had folding mirrors on it!;)

I'm still pinching myself.:D

Twin OEM stubbies with folding blue tinted convex mirrors.

Needless to say they are now sitting on my livingroom floor.:D

I grabbed both mirrors, the door harnesses and the window motors. Unfortunately, the switch has a broken toggle.:(

The only thing that may cause an issue is that it was a 1999 model Golf without an alarm and mine is a 2004 with an immobiliser, so I hope the motors talk to the CCM.

The switch on it with the "O" and folding emblem is stamped with "1J2959565C" so the number should be 1J2 959 565C 01C.

Bear in mind, this is for a right hand drive switch (switch on right hand door) so the 1J1 959 565C 01C should be correct for the LHD version

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
The switch is probably correct but the motors may not work, (can't hurt to try!)

I know that Peter needed my VIN # and exact build date to get my mirrors because the dealer asked for it to make sure they were the right motors.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
graeme86 said:
I found a RHD Japanese Golf down at the wreckers today which had folding mirrors on it!;)

I'm still pinching myself.:D

Twin OEM stubbies with folding blue tinted convex mirrors.

Needless to say they are now sitting on my livingroom floor.:D

I grabbed both mirrors, the door harnesses and the window motors. Unfortunately, the switch has a broken toggle.:(

The only thing that may cause an issue is that it was a 1999 model Golf without an alarm and mine is a 2004 with an immobiliser, so I hope the motors talk to the CCM.

The switch on it with the "O" and folding emblem is stamped with "1J2959565C" so the number should be 1J2 959 565C 01C.

Bear in mind, this is for a right hand drive switch (switch on right hand door) so the 1J1 959 565C 01C should be correct for the LHD version

Post the part number of your door motors and we can check.

Lito

graeme86

Veteran Member
TDI
The motors/housings do not have any numbers on them that even remotely resemble a VW Part number!

THe VIN of the car they came off was WVWZZZ1JZXP062271
so technically the Drivers door motor should be 1J0 959 802 F 013 and the passenger door motor is 1J0 959 801 G 013

My car has Drivers door motor 1C2 959 802 A 06G and the passenger door motor is 1C2 959 801 A 06G (confirmed with VAGCOM)

For folding mirrors it appears I will require 1C0 959 802 B 06G and 1C0 959 801 C 06G
i.e. the later "CAN-BUS" versions:(

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
graeme86 said:
Confirmed! :D :D

Just received my 1J1 959 565C 01C from John at IMPEX and it is the correct folding, power, no heating mirror switch. :D :D :D

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
Occams_Razor said:
Confirmed! :D :D

Just received my 1J1 959 565C 01C from John at IMPEX and it is the correct folding, power, no heating mirror switch. :D :D :D
Sent you IM today about just this item.

ETKA says that 1J1 959 565 E 01C is "heated and fold-up feature". The part that *I'm* looking for is 1J1 959 565 C 01C, for non-heated, non-folding...all I want is the directional control.

Are you sure you got the right part?

--Chris

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Nihilator said:
Sent you IM today about just this item.

ETKA says that 1J1 959 565 E 01C is "heated and fold-up feature". The part that *I'm* looking for is 1J1 959 565 C 01C, for non-heated, non-folding...all I want is the directional control.

Are you sure you got the right part?

--Chris
ETKA is wrong. I have the switch in my hand. 1J1 959 565 C 01C is non-heated, folding. Has the "0" in the middle left and the folded mirror icon that the knob can twist all the way around to on the right.

The switch that Lito has in his car is also a 1J1 959 565 C, (that's where we got the part number).

1J1 959 565 E 01C is heated and folding, (I have one of those too). ;)

Last edited:

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
So then which part am I looking for? I want the flat (no protruding knob) switch in red illumination, with *just* directional control...no heating, no folding.

And why would a 1J1 959 565 C 01C have a knob? I thought it was the flat one with just the pads?

--Chris