heated mirror failure.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Hi all,
I wasn't going to post this as I'm sure that there is a thread somewhere, but after searching for 15 minutes it wasn't worth it to me anymore and I figured what the heck its winter and maybe someone will find this helpful to them as well. After owning my first beetle for 4 years and never knowing I had heated mirrors i finally learned this summer while putting my new (to me) beetle back on the road that I had this option. Problem is neither of them worked in either car.
so, to the point. fuse looks good, but what other part is the weak link here? Is it the mirror element itself generally? or is it the controller box?

Thank you!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
99% of the time it's the element themselves... particularly when the mirror adjust switch is left in the "heat" position accidentally for years... BTDT. This tends to burn 'em both out more or less at the same time.

Can be tested with an ohmmeter, and replacement mirrors are reasonably priced and a straight-forward repair.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
99% of the time it's the element themselves... particularly when the mirror adjust switch is left in the "heat" position accidentally for years... BTDT.
exactly what i did:confused:. When I had my first car i never realized that the middle spot was the heating mode. i thought it was just so that accidental bumps didn't move the mirrors. Thank you!

Yep, the heated glass is typically bad because people leave them on until they burn up.
ok, ill check that first. Thank you!

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, my first TDI was a '99.5 Jetta. Daughter ripped it right off when I was teaching her to drive. Replacement was upgraded 3 position.