Heat Only on Driver Side - clogged heater core

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
We need someone to check their coolant circuit after a dpf delete with super low miles ( less then 20k), and is up near 80s+

Im curious if extreme heat of the egr system is causing issues....

Sent from my s-off'ed m7 with CM11

I've been deleted since 30000 and mine was completely clogged at 70000. I think the damage was already done though. I went 2 winters with very poor heat so I was probably closer to 30000 when it was happening. Ive gone to green organic acid coolant and installed a coolant filter and Im issue free at 95000

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I've been deleted since 30000 and mine was completely clogged at 70000. I think the damage was already done though. I went 2 winters with very poor heat so I was probably closer to 30000 when it was happening. Ive gone to green organic acid coolant and installed a coolant filter and Im issue free at 95000
When I pull mine I plan to plumb in an inline filter.

Link please?

I found some kinda might work ideas on amazon. Obviously with a delete there's gobs of room for plumbing and elbows to get something in there easier.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I guess before we blame clog issues from over boiled g12/13, any gassers having this issue?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I think it's a mistake to assume that the heat of the emissions systems (EGR, DPF regen, etc.) is causing this coolant problem. At this point that's a theory and very anecdotal, not proven. It's much more likely to be a chemical mismatch of some kind putting the coolant into a pH level that is too high (acid), with bad results. Without going back and reviewing this thread again, it seems to me to be the case that some people are getting this covered by VW outside of warranty, and some aren't (in typical VW fashion). Who has definitely gotten coverage from VW (NOT dealer!) outside the 3/36 B-to-B warranty?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup

Link please?

I found some kinda might work ideas on amazon. Obviously with a delete there's gobs of room for plumbing and elbows to get something in there easier.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=454904&highlight=Clogged+oil+cooler

I was only able to find one very pricey option for a true inline full flow filter. They bypass types are much cheaper and there are more options. This one was from dfuser diesel on eBay. I modified the bracket and mounted it in front of the transmission to the frame rail structure. I T'd into my frost heater line and ran a return T'd into a return for the reservoir. The system is working very well and I haven't had any debris in the reservoir since install. I cut apart the first filter and it wasnt plugged or anything but it definitely caught debris

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Damn. Hoping you also had links/photo/directions of heater core removal.

Ive been reading the dash doesn't need to be killed. Kick panel and console?

If i do delete and get into the heater core and oil cooler, should I dump the pink and go old school green?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Damn. Hoping you also had links/photo/directions of heater core removal.

Ive been reading the dash doesn't need to be killed. Kick panel and console?

If i do delete and get into the heater core and oil cooler, should I dump the pink and go old school green?

Since there are pix showing how to get at the heater core for the NMS Passat (the subject of this part of the forum), I'm assuming that's not what you have?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Since there are pix showing how to get at the heater core for the NMS Passat (the subject of this part of the forum), I'm assuming that's not what you have?
Per info under user 'jason_' name he has a "broke ass 2009 wagon" (that's what he put down) - doesn't say if it's a VW or even a TDI. The Passat was not offered with a TDI in 2009 so I assume he has a Jetta Sportwagen.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
I think it's a mistake to assume that the heat of the emissions systems (EGR, DPF regen, etc.) is causing this coolant problem. At this point that's a theory and very anecdotal, not proven. It's much more likely to be a chemical mismatch of some kind putting the coolant into a pH level that is too high (acid), with bad results. Without going back and reviewing this thread again, it seems to me to be the case that some people are getting this covered by VW outside of warranty, and some aren't (in typical VW fashion). Who has definitely gotten coverage from VW (NOT dealer!) outside the 3/36 B-to-B warranty?
Just to clarify, too much acid would give a LOW pH value, not high.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I just received a letter telling me this is now covered under and extended warranty item to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

Gee, I wonder if they'll reimburse the hours I spent arguing unsuccessfully that they should have not charged me a thing when my failed about 3 months ago. Probably not I expect.

garment69

TDI
2013 Passat SEL w/DSG
I just received a letter telling me this is now covered under and extended warranty item to 10 years or 120,000 miles.

Gee, I wonder if they'll reimburse the hours I spent arguing unsuccessfully that they should have not charged me a thing when my failed about 3 months ago. Probably not I expect.
Got the same letter today. Should be 800 bucks coming back to me. I'll take it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Good news. I'm glad they have decided to cover it under warranty. If anyone can get their hands on the recent/newest official tech instructions for replacing and flushing, that would be nice to see.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I wonder if they have a new coolant that can withstand EGR abuse?

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Good news. I'm glad they have decided to cover it under warranty. If anyone can get their hands on the recent/newest official tech instructions for replacing and flushing, that would be nice to see.

I have the "tech notes" which explains the process on my service papers. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I can post it if need be.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I'm glad they covered it also, mine slowly grew cooler as the winter progressed. Planned on doing it myself shortly along with some distilled water flushes. Did see some fine print about diagnosis time not being covered and have read in threads where new coolant is not covered either.

Guess I am being greedy, hope I still have room on the dealer loyalty card. John

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I have the "tech notes" which explains the process on my service papers. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but I can post it if need be.
That would be useful. Please post. :)

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just received extended warranty on heater core; I have posted a new thread to that effect.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
why did you need a new thread? So everyone can write "I got mine too."?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
why did you need a new thread? So everyone can write "I got mine too."?
No, I started a separate thread because I see it as a different subject. This is about heater cores which have failed, my thread is about getting a warranty extension. Not everyone who may need to see the news of the warranty extension is necessarily going to be checking this thread regularly. Such as me.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I got a mind boggler, heat only on driver side, and only ac on passenger side.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Jason... Bad core.

50pascals...If you're at all handy I'd suggest the following:

Remove the underdash panel. Remove the two screws holding the plastic plenum in place and put the component aside. You'll now be able to see and get at a black plastic cover which protects the coolant piping and secures the heater core and aux heater in place. Your culprit is very likely (as you view the component) the top right fastener. It will be one of five or six bright (don't remember) screws holding the assembly in place.

Should this screw not be bottomed when installed, then the blend door actuator will bind due to contact. Blend actuator is a plastic arm. Been there. Done that. It's somewhat of a pain but really an easy fix.

Easy to diagnose before you get too serious. Start the car and call for heat alternated by cool. You should see the arm moving freely back and forth.
Thanks Nord. I needed heat today and it seems the pass side is permanently stuck cold now. Drive side was plenty hot! I will investigate per your direction and report back. Thanks again.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus

Link please?

I did something similar on our 2001 Passat. I had the brown waxy flakes from mixed coolant. I used an inline strainer I bought from Grainger. It is apparently designed for pumps used on boats. The screen worked well, but clogged pretty quickly.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I did something similar on our 2001 Passat. I had the brown waxy flakes from mixed coolant. I used an inline strainer I bought from Grainger. It is apparently designed for pumps used on boats. The screen worked well, but clogged pretty quickly.
Any links or part #s you can come up with? I just ordered a new oil cooler and core.

Headaches arrive in a week.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

razorrod

TDI
Passat SEL
I have 2012 Passat SEl and my core (more likely ) gone bad too. I have heat coming from driver vent (by the door), center vents and no heat passenger vent (by the pass door).
I went dealer and they told it's not covered by warranty per my VIN number. Then, I called VW and they told me same it's NOT covered per my VIN number and nothing they can do.

I have decided to keep car after diesel gate, but now I will change my mind and will return this piece of sh...
I will call tomorrow and will ask them to update to return car!