///// Healthy Coal !! /////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI All,

I know coal rolling is generally frowned upon because it gives Diesels a bad rap and is in actuality hard on our vehicles (extra stress from having to load up the engine to generate "coal" , pollution , sooting up our oil etc...). so that made me think of ways to make "healthy" coal !

Back ground :

I was driving the highway about a week or two ago when I came up on a beautiful huge motor home pulling an equally huge trailer ....
It was pulling surprisingly fast for such a large vehicle even up a moderate grade .... I was thoroughly impressed by its beauty ,largness and speed ! wow !

The hill got steeper and I closed in to pass .... he was maintaining speed seemingly with no issue at all but I had to accelerate moderately hard to pass.

As I got closer, he must have floored it because out came this huge cloud of black smoke ! Whoa this hugh beautiful mobile home rolling coal!

It wasn't for real long and I suspect it was just a quick downshift I thought .... BUT then again as I neared ....another huge belch of coal !! wow ....

Ok I see how it is I thought .....

With that I passed him (yea he was surprisingly fast for such a big Mobile home set up so I had to push pretty hard to get by) BUT after I passed him and got back in the right lane I did and I let out a little coal of my own ;-) (not really black tho (like his) since my car runs clean but something came out ...maybe just a haze from left over soot between italian tune ups?)

Anyways, I'm pretty sure he was surprised because how many diesel cars are there ?! HA

Now admittedly, I did give him 2 doses like he did me and even an extra one for good measure ....

I could have done this all the way up the long grade if need be and all the way to the next town some 15 miles away but I did not want to abuse my car .....

(yes, I thought about him with a dash cam maybe reporting me (but I think I'm more of a haze since I'm overboosting .... 24 psi with a VNT 15 !) for that BUT I have my own front and rear dash cam so I guess that would have been like MAD (mutually assured destruction) between the USA and Russia ha).

Anyways, that got me to thinking about making "healthy" non abusive coal !!

NO Issues with the EPA , NOT abusive to the car for reasons as mentioned above etc .....

Drum Roll Please .....

I was thinking about making a car version (of course tuned down but maybe adjustable) of an aircraft smoke system.

It uses bio oils so healthy to the max (I guess ha) , is not abusive to the vehicle and the EPA should NOT have issue with it ... heck it is sold to make smoke (altho white but maybe color it somehow) .... ohhhh decorator grade coal !

So what do you think .... Healthy coal anyone ? ;-)

Andrew

Last edited:

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I don't think that's one of your best ideas Andy if you're interested in maintaining the right to drive diesels. People will get the wrong impression unless you're able to spell out "healthy decorative smoke only" with the smoke... or fly a banner saying so. Then you would just look ridiculous.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Interesting thought. Most Everyone in the midwest roals coal. Almost every person that asks me if my car is diesel their no.2 question is can it roal coal? Lol, lots of people love seeing these cars and want to know what all they can do. Mine doesn't roal excessively, but its enough when i floor it that people ask me what i did to it "to make it do that"

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Sounds more like trying to incite road rage. If you had to try that hard to pass him you could have just settled down and stay put and done just as well. We need less of people pulling stunts like this and not more.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Everyone drives differently, so with every situation you'll find everyone will respond differently. Can't care what others think. Especially what those others out on the road think. If me blowing a lil smoke passing a car enrages them, they had something to be mad about to begin with or need help (i just smile and wave when im flipped off). You can't keep everyone happy.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Ignorance is bliss I guess. I don't understand that kind of thinking. Bad behavior is just bad behavior. No good can come from acting that way.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Some thoughts should probably just be kept to one's self.
Smoke in any form isn't good. Been way too much of it in the air around our area from the fires out west and Canada. Limited visibility again today.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Lol.. I ❤ this thread.

The thing with smoke is... Its a visual grunt of the motor and for every motorhead and car enthusiast out there, it is lovely to see. Kind of like the beard for a man.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Times they have changed. Careful Andy, The Cancel Culture Justice Warriors are at the gate. I get up to 50mpg but drive a dirty diesel. Just drink the koolaid and we can all live in utopia.
Wish i could get canceled, then i could add it to my resume! All the cool people/things get to be canceled...life just isn't fair😥.
Lol😂

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Here in Northern Nevada ( and maybe in South Nevada as well ) if only 1 person calls and says you are rolling coal or running dirty to the DMV, they will put a hold on your registration until the vehicle is tested. I know as this happened to me, fortunately my car did not apply to the same rules as a vehicle with a greater GVW.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Here in Northern Nevada ( and maybe in South Nevada as well ) if only 1 person calls and says you are rolling coal or running dirty to the DMV, they will put a hold on your registration until the vehicle is tested. I know as this happened to me, fortunately my car did not apply to the same rules as a vehicle with a greater GVW.
Thats rough man. Could stand for that myself.
I think snich lines are so stupid, and snichers are worse.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Smoke’em til the wheels fall off

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hell yeah brother...I met Cleetus and James at the Factory, went to Tampa last Nov for vacation, they happened to be holding an event so the wife and I went. Awesome folks including Maddy (met them all). I was star struck lol. Now just need to meet Derrick from Vice Grip Garage. :) Oh and Matt from Matt's offroad recovery. Heh.

James