Healthy battery voltage

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Hello everyone.

Any ideas what should be voltage of a healthy and charged battery while the car's not running?

Also, what voltage should I see at idle? At 2000 RPM?

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
A good battery should have about 12.3 to 12.7 V open circuit after sitting for some time since running. When running, the voltage should be no less than 13.8, but 14.4 is preferred. Unless there is a heavy load, it shouldn't vary much from idle to 2000 rpm.

Paul

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I have 12.6v with the ignition off, and 13.8v while driving. (13.7v-14.0). I used to have 14.2v steady, but then I had to replace my alternator. Replaced it with a Bosch (correct part) and now I have 13.8 steady.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
revving your engine (varying rpm's) should have very little, if any, effect on your charge. I would check your alternator if you are getting fluctuating (wildly) numbers.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for replies. I measured (with multimeter) voltage at my battery and got 12.6 V after ~2 minutes have passed after a shutdown. I started it back and it showed 13.8 V at idle and 14.1 V at 2000 RPM. I think this sounds more or less normal, right?

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I left my car for an underbody, body and interior wash. They also had to fix some dents and scratches on the body. So they were working on the car all day. The doors and both, trunk and hood were opened all day long. Finally they called me to say the car's ready. It took me 30 minutes to arrive. When I arrived I found my car idling. I asked why it was that and the manager said there was a problem - the battery got discharged (dead) and they couldn't start the car. So they charged it a little bit and started the car. They must have charged it for ~15 minutes, I think, because when I arrived and found my car the clock (as well as trip odometer, steering wheel and window adaptation) was reset and it showed something like 0:14.

I payed for the job and left. Today the car did start in the morning. I'm worried the alternator might not charge enough the battery so I'm afraid I might have starting problems when temperatures drop and the ECU will use Glow Plugs.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
It almost sound like something is draining the battery when it is turned off.
It could still be a faulty voltage regulator on the alternator, but it could be something else draining the battery.
Anything installed lately or repaired?

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
I wouldn't worry about it. The doors were open and I'm sure the music was blaring all day. How old is the battery? If it's relatively new, it just needed a chance to recharge and should give you no problems.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, it isn't draining the battery on regular basis. No electrical changes ever (no aftermarket stereo, amplifiers, etc.. Yeah, I know, I'm a boring person). I turned off the radio before leaving the car. I believe it's because the light inside the trunk don't time out (interior lights do time out but they probably were opening/closing doors frequently while cleaning. Interior lights drain 30 Watts at least).

Please don't start a flame. The battery is still original and it's actually 6 years from the date of manufacture. It started just perfect last winter every day. Hope it will work this winter too.

mohawk69

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 B4, 1996 B4V, 2000 Beetle TDI
I'd be prepared to buy a battery this winter but I wouldn't until it started showing signs of failure. I think everything is working normally but that battery is near it's final days.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've recently check the fluid level inside and topped up with distilled water a few cells. Hope it helps to last it a few more years. I've spent *much* money on repairs and maintenance this year. :(

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Honestly a voltage test does very little to tell if a battery is good. But if it is off it can forsure tell you it is bad. A load test is better as it drains a bit out of the battery and sees if it can handle the load for a period of time. The cheaper testers are normally like a vented toaster oven but they work.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Honestly a voltage test does very little to tell if a battery is good. But if it is off it can forsure tell you it is bad. A load test is better as it drains a bit out of the battery and sees if it can handle the load for a period of time. The cheaper testers are normally like a vented toaster oven but they work.
+1. As a battery ages, the capacity diminishes. About all a voltage test can confirm is that there are shorted cells or your alternator is not charging.

On the newer cars, the controller turns off the interior lights after about 10 minutes and the radio after an hour. If the battery couldn't handle that, it's about done. 6 years is about the limit for a battery, anyway.

Something you could try is to turn on the headlights (torches?) without the engine running for about 10 minutes and then try to start the car. A healthy, fully charged battery should start the car with no problem.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Another way to test the battery is to disable the fuel system, put the voltmeter on the battery and crank the engine over for 15 seconds and watch the voltage at the battery. It should stay above something like 9.5 volts then recover back to just about the open circuit voltage within a few seconds.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On the newer cars, the controller turns off the interior lights after about 10 minutes and the radio after an hour. If the battery couldn't handle that, it's about done. 6 years is about the limit for a battery, anyway.
Is the controller supposed turn off the trunk light also (MkV)?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Is the controller supposed turn off the trunk light also (MkV)?
I don't know for sure. When I get back home I will leave a door and the trunk open and see what does happen.

I do know that if you pop the trunk and arm the alarm, the interior lights go out but the trunk light stays on till you close the trunk.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know for sure. When I get back home I will leave a door and the trunk open and see what does happen.

I do know that if you pop the trunk and arm the alarm, the interior lights go out but the trunk light stays on till you close the trunk.
That's right, I've checked & confirmed that a few days after I bought the car. It also cuts off power to glove box light.

But I wonder if trunk does time out after not being closed...

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
On my Golf the luggage compartment light stays on as long as the hatch is open. I have an LED bulb in there as well as all the cabin lights.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On my Golf the luggage compartment light stays on as long as the hatch is open. I have an LED bulb in there as well as all the cabin lights.
Thanks for input. Can anyone confirm this is the same case with MkV too?