Heads-Up - Compression Tester at Princess Auto

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I know it's not the highest quality, but I imagine it's about the same as the cheapo one sold at Harbor Freight, and should prove useful for once-in-a-while emergencies... in tomorrow's sale flyer, the Diesel Compression tester - item 8534315 is on sale for $29.99... I don't think they'll last long at that price... (especially since until this one came around, the only one they offered was many times the price... I had to go to the U.S. to get a Snap-Off (my name for Harbor Freight's products) unit...)

Yuri

PS: given some of Princess Auto's past practices, it may be prudent to phone ahead to make sure they actually have a unit in stock, should you wish to get one...

Last edited:

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
I know it's not the highest quality, but I imagine it's about the same as the cheapo one sold at Harbor Freight, and should prove useful for once-in-a-while emergencies... in tomorrow's sale flyer, the Diesel Compression tester - item 8534315 is on sale for $29.99... I don't think they'll last long at that price... (especially since until this one came around, the only one they offered was many times the price... I had to go to the U.S. to get a Snap-Off (my name for Harbor Freight's products) unit...)
Yuri
PS: given some of Princess Auto's past practices, it may be prudent to phone ahead to make sure they actually have a unit in stock, should you wish to get one...
Snap-Off - Grrreat nickname for Harbor Freight. HF is my first stop when I cross the border usually :D .
Here is the link if anyone is interested for the above.
http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Diagnostic/Diesel-Compression-Tester/8534315.p

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
... I had to go to the U.S. to get a Snap-Off (my name for Harbor Freight's products) unit...)

Yuri
You may have stated that as a joke, but in case you were serious, for the others on here, Harbor Freight and Princess Auto actually have some top quality tools. You do need to pick and choose of course. Oh, and most of my tools are Snap-On.

For example, Princess Auto has a set of SAE and metric L-hex wrenches (long and with a ball end on the long end) that go on sale for under $10 each. The plastic wrench holder is blue for one set (Victory label) and red for the other. These are tops!

Then they have Pro-Point. I picked up this cold/dry cut metal saw on sale and it was much cheaper than the one from Jancy Engineering in the US and is 100% identical.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I have a 14" metal chop saw that is from Cummin's Tools and I've been abusing it for about 15 years now and it still works flawlessly, it is invaluable for doing exhaust work and tube fabricating. A metal cutting band saw would be better but for the $60 I originally paid for it, I'm good.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I bought this kit a few years ago, but after seeing the quality of machining on the threads for the one matching the size of the glow plug holes, I never had the balls to try it for fear of cross threading or stripping.
Just my 2 cents.