Heads up about orilley auto parts.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
The lifetime warranty is now 90days. I know they sell a lot of junk but it may be time to move away from them completely on the small amount of good parts they sell. Limited lifetime warranty is what they believe to be the life of the part. Which is apparently 90days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I've known for years about O'Reilly's garbage. If you want your car to last, do not buy parts there.

I had my tire shop replace my R/H LCA and ball joint and they got the parts from there. The ball joint lasted 30K miles while the factory original on the other side is fine at 180k miles.

The "Lifetime Warranty" was pure nonsense, anyway. They know that you will get tired of putting their garbage parts in your car and just go away. I've never had to "warranty" a quality part.

As an aside, if one of their garbage parts damages your car when it fails, they will just laugh at you if you try to collect for the damage.

Last edited:

wilcharl

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI BOUGHT BACK 23 NOV 16. Now owner of 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Source?

Not that I would buy their parts as their MasterPro line chassis parts are Chineseium , and I would not trust a reman Alternator from them but both state Limited Lifetime Warranty.

The Monroe OeSpectrum struts are also lifetime

The MasterPro (Dayco) belts have a 1 year warrant and the Gates have a 3 year.

I would not hesitate to buy a Gates belt from them

"If your receipt states Limited Lifetime Warranty, we will warrant the original part as long as you own the vehicle on which the part was originally installed. Batteries have various warranty periods, some of which are a “pro-rated warranty”. Battery warranties do not cover freezing."

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I emailed them about it. When you replace it the replacement part comes with a 90day. In some cases as we all know. Fans are a good example, they don't last a super long time. Even more so for those of us that have 4-5hours of run time every day.

And yes they sell junk but I had 2 six month old trw tie rod ends and the boots fell apart on them that quick. How sad is that?

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
Also I've bought quite a few gates items from them. We have had such bad luck with Monroe stuff I would never go there even with lifetime warranty. God they suck. I did put import direct tie rod ends this time because it was apart but those are made in turkey and of better quality than the Chinese ones. Boots always fail before the joint for me it seems anyways.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I'm getting mixed story's from other employees. Apparently this is a store pushing for less warranty because it has something to do with monthly numbers. I guess it's Store discretion.

Ed ke6bnl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
I bought a radiator for my 98 2500 tdi, I was leaving on a vacation in 3 days and that was the only place to get one. I do have to admit it was about 1/2 the weight of the old one. but fit perfect and got me on vacation. maybe 5 years later in went out again. and they replaced it free. all pressure tested ok and still in there. I have to agree not the best

belome

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
I used to love Autozone. I had a GM car that I bought with around 20k miles. When it was time for brake pads I bought their top of the line ceramic pads front and rear. They replaced them at least a dozen times for free over the next several hundred thousand miles. Never thought a wear item would have a lifetime warranty, but they do.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
I'm getting mixed story's from other employees. Apparently this is a store pushing for less warranty because it has something to do with monthly numbers. I guess it's Store discretion.

there is a huge amount of manager discretion there. i brought in a starter that had already been warrantied twice... but that's another story. This starter was installed by a shop that had went out of business.

1st oreilly's says no, its already been warantied too many times, 2nd oreilys says the number of times is irrelevant and i cannot warranty it because the shop originally purchased it - not me, 3rd orielly's says no problem - but we gotta order it. They ordered the wrong one but i noticed it and they actually had the right one on the shelf all along.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I talked to main corporate and they said if I have issues on a normal failure to call the districts cell number that they are required to give at request. That 99% of the time they will tell the store employee to do it.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Ozone (AutoZone) is not much different.

I purchased a starter from Ozone for my 89 Vanagon .......... three starters later I got one that works!

I purchased a Clutch Slave from Ozone for my 84 Vanagon ........ after installing a 2nd one that would not work, I demanded a refund.

I purchased a T-stat for my 89 Vanagon........... three T-stats later, I ask for a refund.

I purchased a Power Steering unit for my 92 GMC ........ required a second one! (damn, that thing is not fun to change out)

And, of course, I've purchased lots of good stuff from them as well as O'Reilly's!

Our local mom & pop operation traffic's in junk too!

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
I gave up long long ago on the notion that you could get acceptable parts from AZ Napa, or the big O. (they all draw from the same well)

Locally Napa is big, and I buy only name brand stuff or wiring connectors or the like from them when I absolutely need it now.

We had one guy with a C class that had a fit when we told him how much an alternator would be for his car. He had just checked the parts store and our Bosch reman was twice the price. He bought his own at the parts store and we put it on, three different times at his expense.

If I see a reman sticker or parts store sticker on any parts in the bay, I take it as a warning. Chances are good you will be replacing that part soon.

AnotherPerson

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Beetle
I went thru a couple AutoZone starters because being a delivery car even a Bosch unit takes a lot of abuse. After a couple of quick failures they one I got is still pushing strong well past 30000starts later.

Ed ke6bnl

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI Jetta
I went thru a couple AutoZone starters because being a delivery car even a Bosch unit takes a lot of abuse. After a couple of quick failures they one I got is still pushing strong well past 30000starts later.

needed a starter for my toyota, had it rebuilt and working good the rebuilt I put in my tractor from the same guy still going after 12 yrs. oh the started cost lest to rebuild then the one from autozone.

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
every store is like that
all the parts are chinese now,unless you specifically demand NO MADE IN CHINA parts !!!
then they will spend 20 minutes on the computer trying to determine where a part is made before they order it,
and half the time the part will come in and say made in china on the box.

do NOT buy any steering or brake components that are made in china, they will not last.

a chinese ball joint or tie rod end, will last about three months before its totally worn out.

and when you try to return it they just say its normal wear.

I love Rockauto but dont get any steering or suspension parts from them,

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
a chinese ball joint or tie rod end, will last about three months before its totally worn out,
Really?

I bought complete LCAs from IDParts and I'm pretty sure that while they're "engineered" in Canada that the parts are likely from Canada: whenever a manufacturer emphasizes where something is engineered and doesn't say where it's manufactured that that means it was manufactured in China). Should I check back in three months? (oh, wait, one car has been going fine for more than 3 months; maybe wait until my other one gets past 3 months?) 6 months maybe? A year? How long before we decide whether they're crap or not?

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Really?

I bought complete LCAs from IDParts and I'm pretty sure that while they're "engineered" in Canada that the parts are likely from Canada: whenever a manufacturer emphasizes where something is engineered and doesn't say where it's manufactured that that means it was manufactured in China). Should I check back in three months? (oh, wait, one car has been going fine for more than 3 months; maybe wait until my other one gets past 3 months?) 6 months maybe? A year? How long before we decide whether they're crap or not?
my experience was:
the chi com tie rod ends I bought from rockauto for my 76 chevy K-10 pickup lasted about 3 months.
bought some made in the US, and theyve been fine for the last 4 years.

had a really hard time finding wheel bearings for the Dana 44 front axle that were not made in commie china

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think it's fair to broad-brush everything Chinese as being junk. I'm old enough to remember folks denigrating stuff from Japan: and now we are comforted when we find that a part is manufactured there! South Korea is a little more current, same thing there as well.

It all depends on who is behind the QA. I can get crap stuff that's manufactured in the US, but that don't mean that everything made in the US is crap. Further, there's levels of quality even within a component line; some stuff might be marginal (low budget, for folks that really cannot afford anything else) and stuff that's not marginal (higher budget). I'm not a fan of GM products, but I'm pretty certain that if I were to buy a new Corvette that I wouldn't be getting junk (other GM products, well...).

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Most of the tools I see at the local auto shops are mostly made in China; those I hesitate to buy unless I want to fabricate it somehow for a special purpose.
There was a time when they did carry good quality wrenches and socket sets, etc.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I don't think it's fair to broad-brush everything Chinese as being junk. I'm old enough to remember folks denigrating stuff from Japan: and now we are comforted when we find that a part is manufactured there! South Korea is a little more current, same thing there as well.

It all depends on who is behind the QA. I can get crap stuff that's manufactured in the US, but that don't mean that everything made in the US is crap. Further, there's levels of quality even within a component line; some stuff might be marginal (low budget, for folks that really cannot afford anything else) and stuff that's not marginal (higher budget). I'm not a fan of GM products, but I'm pretty certain that if I were to buy a new Corvette that I wouldn't be getting junk (other GM products, well...).
Here's the thing, Japan is far ahead of china. Japan tried hard (most of the time) to produce quality products for the US. China kinda just rode on that reputation but produced inferior products. It was that thinking that got us into the mess we have with china now.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's the thing, Japan is far ahead of china. Japan tried hard (most of the time) to produce quality products for the US. China kinda just rode on that reputation but produced inferior products. It was that thinking that got us into the mess we have with china now.
I recall quite clearly it being fairly common for people to call products from Japan "junk." Like I said, broad-brushing is not a fair way to assess things. Much of the stuff that could be considered crap from China is, well, yes, crap; but, it's also stuff that's a "you get what you pay for" kind of deal- many times people cannot afford high up-front costs. I rarely get parts from big box automotive stores; I mostly get them from vendors on this site (but, it's not uncommon to get Chinese parts here either- not the majority, but not non existent either). [a very high percentage of folks right here, right now, are likely using computer-based products that were manufactured in China- stuff like this is only possible with good QA- it's ALL about QA]

I have zero appreciation for China's govt. Can't say that I'm enamored with China's culture, but I know well enough to separate that from my assessment (or ability to assess) products that may come from there. (lots of folks instinctively knee-jerk due to their xenophobia).

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
I was doing a rear bearing on my wife's A3 and the guy behind counter asked me if I wanted the $3 bearing or the $12 dollar bearing. I bought the $12 as it was made by Timken a name that right or wrong I trust. And $3 for a wheel bearing?

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Three memorable instances of big O parts failure:

1. Alternator for my old truck. On start up, was putting out 16 - 18 volts immediately.

2. Starter motor for said PU - DOA out of the box.

3. Master cylinder for wife's old Mercury (Cardone rebuilt) - only 1/2 the brake lines had fluid movement. When I took the MC apart, it was full of old gunky material.

There were others, but the real Chinese parts garbage was experienced by me trying to buy aftermarket replacement parts when I was restoring my 1971 VW Beetle.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
any part from a box store is a POS honestly. some worse than others.