Headliner falling down?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
My headliner is falling down all around in my 2010 Golf TDI with 199K miles. It seems sudden, 1st in the front but now also in the back. My car is parked outside now, since I bought a used 2019 MK7.5 Golf R a year ago.
  • Do the headliners just fail?
  • Nothing seems wet, but could it be the sunroof drains?
  • Can a headliner be fixed/replaced?

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
falling headliners is nothing new to VW. clogged sunroof drains or just a leaky sunroof can certainly cause headliner issue.

the headliner can of course be fixed or replaced.
for a DIY fix, remove the headliner from the car, and re-attach it with some 3m automotive adhesive / upholstery adhesive

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
^^Thank you for your comment lemoncurd! I went to an upholstery shop. He said it wasn't uncommon and he'd done quite a few. The whole thing has to come out. He said 2 days to remove, clean surface, reattach new headliner material, and replace headliner.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
^^Thank you for your comment lemoncurd! I went to an upholstery shop. He said it wasn't uncommon and he'd done quite a few. The whole thing has to come out. He said 2 days to remove, clean surface, reattach new headliner material, and replace headliner.
for a quality job, this seems reasonable. see how much it would be to get him to convert it to a black headliner. you can do the smaller trim bits yourself or pony up some extra dough for them to do it

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I presume it ends up being cheaper to put new upholstery as opposed to a new OEM headliner, if they're even available? Have this problem on two m4k's and on one JSW.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
The upholstery guy, one of the owners or maybe the owner, a classic guy, I think he knows what he is doing. I enjoyed my experience interacting with him. His quote was a bit more than numbers I found searching, but times have changed and as he said it is a lot of work. I believe it really is a lot of work and I just want it done well. It's going to be okay!

Thank you again for comments from others!

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Sorry, Not on topic with your post, just curious. Someone with a similar user name used to put insane miles on a mk4 in TX with some type of delivery type job. Was that you?

Sorry for the interruption. You may now return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Last edited:

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I never lived in Texas or had an MK4. I have a 2010 MK6 Golf TDI and a 2019 MK7.5 Golf R. I did have another Golf many years ago. I think it was an MK2, drove it across the country with 100K miles already on the odometer, camped in 11 National Parks with my new bride, but I didn't know about different Golf generations back then. We had no computers and no cell phones, still were using pay phones and paper maps!