headlights

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
H7 - 12V 55W = 100W 4100K output

I found these head lights on evil bay. Can anyone tell me which ones are the brightest. I fine these are 4100k output. What does this 4100k mean? I also find them 3600k!

What would be the better for high beam also.

I figure 4100 is better then 3600. I don't know how they are better.

I drive back roads and as we all know these factory headlights suck.

Thanks

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
lights

I also find these on evil bay.

2012 PIAA 4800K Precious White JDM H7 Headlight Bulbs Fog Lights MADE IN JAPAN!

item # 310399691676

thanks

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
The numbers don't refer to brightness but rather temp/color of the light emitted on the Kelvin scale .

dcullen

TDI
2010 TDI Jetta
H7 - 12V 55W = 100W 4100K output

I found these head lights on evil bay. Can anyone tell me which ones are the brightest. I fine these are 4100k output. What does this 4100k mean? I also find them 3600k!

What would be the better for high beam also.

I figure 4100 is better then 3600. I don't know how they are better.

I drive back roads and as we all know these factory headlights suck.

Thanks
The only reliable bulbs that will increase light output and are safe for VW

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Even David Stearn approves. The OSRAM Ralleye bulbs are marked as "offroad only" But work fine and no LEO is going cite you for using them. They are brighter, but not amazingly so. They will have about the same life as a stock bulb.

The real solution if you are really displeased with the factory lights is to retrofit factory HID's which are significantly brighter but not cheap. Might be cheaper than the damage that overwatt bulbs could cause.

Evil BAy bulbs use a blue coating on the bulbs to make them look bluer (like HIDs). But the coating reduces actual light output. So they overdrive the bulbs, shortening their life, drawing excess current and overheating the bulb and connector. The result is expensive bulbs that need frequent replacement, don't light the road any better and are likely to damage your electrical system.

Last edited:

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
The only reliable bulbs that will increase light output and are safe for VW

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Even David Stearn approves. The OSRAM Ralleye bulbs are marked as "offroad only" But work fine and no LEO is going cite you for using them. They are brighter, but not amazingly so. They will have about the same life as a stock bulb.

The real solution if you are really displeased with the factory lights is to retrofit factory HID's which are significantly brighter but not cheap. Might be cheaper than the damage that overwatt bulbs could cause.

Evil BAy bulbs use a blue coating on the bulbs to make them look bluer (like HIDs). But the coating reduces actual light output. So they overdrive the bulbs, shortening their life, drawing excess current and overheating the bulb and connector. The result is expensive bulbs that need frequent replacement, don't light the road any better and are likely to damage your electrical system.
Ordered 4 new bulbs from these guys today. Will give my opion on them soon.

Thanks for the info.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
I ordered 4 from them today and I will also report on them as soon as I install them.

armstrongtrucks

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 PASSAT SEL TDI
Today before I ordered the new headlight bulbs I adjusted my headlights up 4 turns on each adjusting screw. Drove it tonight and wow, what a differance that made. No one high beamed my so they must not be to high.

With these new bulbs it should be good driving on the back roads.

dst5

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2013 TDI
Some improvement with these bulbs enough to justify the few dollars and few minutes of time it takes to change them.

TD Einspritzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Why 4? Two for high beam and two for low beam? I really need to update my headlights. Hate the stock ones. Would you have any pictures of the new ones installed? Thanks.

mikeyinpa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI SE
I installed the 65W bulbs on low-beams and am very happy so far. Think the high beams are fine from VW.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I installed the Osrum Ralleye 65W in the low beams and just wanted to comment how easy an install it was. On the passenger side there is easy access to the bulb without moving or removing anything that could be in the way. On the drivers side the piece of metal above the headlamp assembly needs to be removed and the only thing that needs be done besides removal of the screws attaching it is the squeezing of the two blue tabs and the push through of them to allow the metal piece to be removed and placed out of the way. I used a set of bent needle nose pliers and they were perfect for the job. Certainly less than a 30 min. job from start to finish.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I installed the Osrum Ralleye 65W in the low beams and just wanted to comment how easy an install it was. On the passenger side there is easy access to the bulb without moving or removing anything that could be in the way. On the drivers side the piece of metal above the headlamp assembly needs to be removed and the only thing that needs be done besides removal of the screws attaching it is the squeezing of the two blue tabs and the push through of them to allow the metal piece to be removed and placed out of the way. I used a set of bent needle nose pliers and they were perfect for the job. Certainly less than a 30 min. job from start to finish.
How do you like them ?

fenderod

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I swapped the lows for the Osram 65w's without unscrewing or using pliers, but access was tight on the driver's side. They've been enough of an improvement that I'm not planning to raise the voltage - but still thinking about adjusting the aim up a bit.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I have to say I could not be happier with the performance of these bulbs. I did give a slight increase in the height of low beams via the adjustment screw and put the passenger side a bit higher than the drivers side. The increase in illumination not only in front but to the sides is quite remarkable. From a personal standpoint I much prefer this quality of lighting to the hard cut offs that are a hallmark of the HIDs. I'd definitely rate this as a 5 star mod. Remember, don't handle the bulbs with your bare hands, as this can cause a decrease in bulb life. The theory behind this rule is that the high heat of the halogen bulb will interact with the oils deposited by your fingers and grow quartz crystals in the glass causing it to crack.
My next project is to change the DRLs to bright white PIAA 19225 27-Watt 7440 Xtreme White Miniature Bulbs. I saw a Passat CC the other day that had bright whites in it's DLRs and it was remarkable and quite impressive even when viewed in my rear view mirrors.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I am in total agreement regarding your comment that an increase in voltage is no longer needed.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
I normally go to powerbulbs.com and have been intending to do so for the H7 bulb. My favorite is the night breaker. Has anyone here used them yet? I bought night breakers for my Jetta and NB. Both of the cars had REAL nice lights then. (My Jetta has EURO headlights.)

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I normally go to powerbulbs.com and have been intending to do so for the H7 bulb. My favorite is the night breaker. Has anyone here used them yet? I bought night breakers for my Jetta and NB. Both of the cars had REAL nice lights then. (My Jetta has EURO headlights.)
Readng up on the nightbreakers, they certainly seem pretty wonderful. I couldn't, however, find any hour rating for them, other than they last a 50% longer than the first generation nightbreakers.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Well Bling it is, then. I would point out that it is far cheaper when you need to get your Bling on than a set of 20" wheels and skinny walled tires--and a lot more satisfying when driving down the road, both in comfort and with the headlights you can actually see the Blinginess of your purchase, rather than knowing someone else is seeing it. Or something like that

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I just don't get why there are even 24 karat gold tipped headlamps on the market. :confused:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Osram is offering a limited edition of the high performance Night Breaker Plus lamp for the fifth anniversary of the Night Breaker family

Guess they are proud of the anniversary. Not sure why, but that's their story

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Well Bling it is, then. I would point out that it is far cheaper when you need to get your Bling on than a set of 20" wheels and skinny walled tires--and a lot more satisfying when driving down the road, both in comfort and with the headlights you can actually see the Blinginess of your purchase, rather than knowing someone else is seeing it. Or something like that
Don't be so sensitive, Sally.:p If the lights are half as good as they sound, I'm sure they will be blinging awesome! :D

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
I will be finding out. (They are $32 a pair BTW). Just ordered four. If they are as good as the ones I got for my Jetta and NB, I will be happy.