Headlights - low beams not working

capthook

TDI
2000 jetta, 2004 jetta wgn
Hello all...

I have a 2004 VW Jetta TDI wagon on which the low beams on both headlights instantaneously failed. Both high beams are working properly. I have checked the two 15 amp fuses for the low beams and found no issue with the fuses.

I had previously had an issue with the passenger head light repeatedly burning out which was caused (I think) by a electrical short in the connection plug wiring. After replacing the headlight connection plug 6 months ago I had no issue with the headlights until this new problem arose. I don't have any reason to believe the two problems are connected but I don't know that for a fact.

Given the fuses are not blown, any ideas on what the problem is, how to diagnose it and how to repair it?

Many thanks

Capthook (AKA Mike)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I assume you're confident the bulbs aren't burned out? Since they always run at the same time it's not uncommon for them to fail at the same time.

If that's not it, your turn signal stalk may be failing, or the hazard switch, which the headlight circuit runs through.

capthook

TDI
2000 jetta, 2004 jetta wgn
I assume you're confident the bulbs aren't burned out? Since they always run at the same time it's not uncommon for them to fail at the same time.

If that's not it, your turn signal stalk may be failing, or the hazard switch, which the headlight circuit runs through.
Thanks for that IndigoBlueWagon...

I'm not confident about anything at all on these complex machines.... Having said that, the bulb in the passenger low beam was new (< 3 months) and, more importantly, both low beams were working and both stopped working at the exact moment in time. Burned out bulbs wouldn't do that (in the absence of a power surge or some other wiring problem). So I do not believe it's the bulbs...

So you mention the turn signal tstalk and/or the hazard aswitch as potential cuplrits. How would I determine which is the cause and once found, how would I fix the problem?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When it comes to electrical items my knowledge if very limited. Perhaps someone else can help out here.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I would check and replace the bulbs before I ripped the steering column apart.

billnlana

TDI
2006 5spd. sedan
I would try doing a continuity check between the bulb plug in and the fuse. Check the fuse, but I think the fuse runs the high and low beams , so if you have high beams not likely the fuse. Might be light switch. I have run into the problem of both bulbs going out at the same time.