Headlights Flickering

CAPwTDIs

Headlights on my '96 Passat are going on and off at random. At start-up, they stay on for a few seconds, then go briefly out, then come back on. The outages seemed to correspond with the idling speed (higher rev, lights stay on). This also occcurs while driving, although less frequently - a slight clicking sound can also be heard inside the dash when the lights go out temporarily. Any advice would be appreciated.

moondawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Galactic Blue Jetta
Do your headlight bulbs have red tips? The ones with red tips are intermittant. Oh wait, no, that's christmas lights! sorry.

Seriously though, it sounds like the relay controlling your lights is bad.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Well, this might mean that you have a dyeing battery and or charging system. After the engine is running the glow plugs will cycle on and off, to warm the engine quicker and help w/ emmissions. They draw a lot of power. First thing I would do is use a mulit-meter and check the voltage right at the battery. I'de also make sure that the battery fluid level is where its suppost to be, it should be to the bottom of the filler ports (to get at the ports, remove the sticker and unscrew the cap.) Fill with distilled watter as needed.

I would get this checked, a weak battery in winter is no fun /images/graemlins/frown.gif

-Jason