Headlight Upgrade for Mk3 Jetta? (fog lights and auxillary)

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
But what are the advantages of HIDs to your mind? I noticed Todd likes them too.
I made the recommendation of doing a retrofit. I doubt you’ll go this route, but if you look at what’s available for aftermarket bi-xenon projectors, the width and cutoff is amazing. The issue is finding headlights with non-fluted lenses.

I’ve never used drop in setup, so I can’t speak for them. Years ago, I bought a B4 with Depo e-codes and it had a DDM setup. Sold them…. never fired them up.

-Todd

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
I meant to post this over here so @garciapiano could see what I did. Yes, @ToddA1 maybe could have cut the these using some wire cutters but seemed less accurate to me. I was able to get a precise fit just grinding a bit off at a time. I had the tools on hand, so that's what I did. The abrasive stripper wheel was in my painting box.

Success! Installed the jumper wire today. Here are some pictures of the process:

And in case these pics eventually dissapear, I used my angle grinder with an abrasive wheel to grind down some 0.187 terminal tabs from Ace until they fit. I used some "regular" 16 gauge wire to connect them, then heat shrinked some tubing around the connection and electrical taped for good measure.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
I made the recommendation of doing a retrofit. I doubt you’ll go this route, but if you look at what’s available for aftermarket bi-xenon projectors, the width and cutoff is amazing. The issue is finding headlights with non-fluted lenses.
Ultimately, I'm open to whatever is the ideal end goal for my purposes. I'm not 100% happy with the LED setup that I got, however there is more tweaking to be done and experiments to be made. It is however a far cry better than what I had before. The inPro housings are fantastic, and I paid a pretty penny for them so I'd probably like to work within that architecture.