Headlight suggestions

Tditi

TDI
2005 volkswagen passat black tdi
Looking for either bulb or aftermarket headlight suggestions. My headlights seem to be very dim compared to other vehicles I've owned or been in. Any suggestions?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
highly recommend the the Hella H770W 70 watt bulb in the low/drl beam.
have been running them for years with no problems from the car's hardware or other drivers

you can use VCDS to dial them back (i liked 20%) for your drl

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Good to know. Might try a set on my wagon. Hids and LED's don't seem to be very bright on mine either and I'm sure they're probably Chinese.
Mozambiquer your wagon looks identical to mine right down to the wheels.

J Mullet

TDI
2.0L Passat wagon
Interesting, I have very dim lights as well. Very yellow and dim. I may try buying the HELLA bulbs and give it a whirl. Perhaps new assemblies would also help as that is what it looks like mozambiquer did.

MEgearhead

Veteran Member
TDI
B5.5, 4L, 4G
The B5.5 headlights just don't compare to the late models. I had the same problem along with fogged lenses from the sun. I polished them several times (it only lasts about a year or two) but they were always yellow and dim.

I finally replaced the whole assemblies with Hellas (Hella made the OE ones for VW). In fact the Hellas I bought were exactly the same except the VW Audi markings were ground off. That was a significant improvement after putting the 70w Hella bulbs in, but they are not even in the same ballpark as my '15 and '16 Audis. I'm looking at upgrade options but have not found anything acceptable.

I broke the old ones open and the insulation on the wires inside was cooked from the DRL operating them all the time. The backside of the projector lens and the reflector had a smokey residue on them (actually it was all over the inside.) So, I promptly pulled the DRL relay.

The B5.5 DRLs (at least the halogen ones) are not controlled actively and thus not adjustable with VCDS. It's a fixed resistance wire in the harness, and controlled by the aforementioned relay.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
You can also use W8 Passat headlights with an adapter harness, they are HID and can be an even brighter option.

CantWrite

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon (BHW/5-spd conv, 03T). I keep in touch with the (2) ALH's I sold.
Right now I commute both ways in the dark (shift worker). I went down the path of working with Daniel Stern Lighting.

He recommended new OEM housings, and 65W bulbs to replace the 55W factory installed in all locations (Dims/Brights)

Aimed per his website, the difference is remarkable. Obviously it may not compare to today’s technology. But man I am happy!!

note the old housing is sanded with 600 wet/dry.