Head Unit Replacement? (With CarPlay)

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Hello,
I have a 2014 Passat SEL with +120K miles and the head unit is about to collect a retirement check :D
For the last 2 months, the factory installed Fender audio system:
- restarts on its own (now, about 4 times/hour)
- will not start
- cannot change volume levels (steering wheel nor head knob)
- camera just goes black
- display shows backup camera view in “all black” mode
As I’m a genius , I figured I need a new head unit that supports CarPlay and the backup camera.
So what are all y’alls recommendation for a new head unit?
Thank you in advance

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The JVC units have a very clean look, the bezel is thin. You can get one for cheap and buy a maestro to allow it to play with the canbus.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I’ve seen Pioneer equipment that claims compatibility with 2014 Passat:

- Pioneer AVH-X2800BS In-Dash DVD Receiver with 6.2" Display, Bluetooth
- Pioneer AVH-1300NEX 6.2" Double DIN DVD Receiver Apple CarPlay Built in Bluetooth

Does anyone have any experience with them?

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
My buddy has one of the newer Pioneer CarPlay systems in his truck, the microphone input failed pretty quickly. I wasn't a fan of the looks of it either, the buttons look and feel like the buttons from the colorful radios in the early 2000s.

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
My buddy has one of the newer Pioneer CarPlay systems in his truck, the microphone input failed pretty quickly. I wasn't a fan of the looks of it either, the buttons look and feel like the buttons from the colorful radios in the early 2000s.
Thank you for your input!

Back in the day, Pioneer were the good stuff to have. Things have changed since the ‘80’s obviously :(

MattRabbit

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, 2014 Beetle TDI, 1981 Rabbit Diesel
I’ve seen Pioneer equipment that claims compatibility with 2014 Passat:

- Pioneer AVH-X2800BS In-Dash DVD Receiver with 6.2" Display, Bluetooth
- Pioneer AVH-1300NEX 6.2" Double DIN DVD Receiver Apple CarPlay Built in Bluetooth

Does anyone have any experience with them?
I have a Pioneer AVH-1300NEX that was installed in my mk4 Golf TDI when I had it. When I sold the car, the buyer wanted the stock stereo, so I pulled it out. It was only about 4 months old at the time. I still have it in its original box in new condition.

It was a stellar system. MUCH better than the stock stereo. In fact, I miss it a LOT in my mk7 Golf TDI. Carplay was sooo nice. It was well worth the upgrade.

If anyone wants to buy it here, it's up for sale at $200 + shipping (not putting up a classified, just posting to give a hand!)

ErackTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 jetta. 13 jetta, 04 jetta
i have an rcd 330 i picked up second hand its been great factory unit so looks like it belongs and functions as you would expect and at a great price point.
got mine for 200$ Canadian

DGweez

TDI
Passat TDi SEL
I'm curious how this went. Does the Passat TDi SEL have an amp to power the sub? Is it compatible with an aftermarket head unit?