Head liner replacement ? How involved ?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
My headliner was creased durring a warrenty repair and I was wondering if its really worth having them replace it or will they have to tear soo much apart they will cause even more damage . What are the chances of them getting it right ? Do the seats need to come out ? Does the dash need to come apart ? Just really worried about collateral damage in this repair . Thanks guys .

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Dash doesn't have to come out, seats might not either (just folded down). The pillar trims need to be removed, which isn't a hard job.

-J

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
So all in all there isn't much for the body shop to screw up ? I'm just nervous as every part they touched last time was broken .

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
How intricate are the clips in the head liner ? I worried about them just trying to glue it in and also the airbags worry me .

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
There are a bunch of one time use clips. I wouldn't worry about the airbags or about them trying to glue it (not sure where you got that idea from).

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
There are a bunch of one time use clips. I wouldn't worry about the airbags or about them trying to glue it (not sure where you got that idea from).
I'm only worried because they really butchered the last fix and tried to pass off damage like I wouldn't notice . Keep in mind this is a sub contractor(body shop) for the dealer and they may not know how to work on this new car and are trying to keep costs down. They broke my head liner, deformed the rear small side window chrome molding , broke and replaced the rear dome light and chipped the rear window glass on the inside durring r&r and didn't say a thing about any of it ... So yeah I'm nervous about turning my car back to them for interior work as well as removing the rear glass again and installing a new window.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
If the body shop is incapable of taking your car apart and putting it back together, then tell your dealership that you want them to perform the repairs themselves. They should stand behind their preferred/recommended body shop's work.

kromicacid

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL - Fixed
when putting a new headliner in, you have to take out a seat, laying it down (folding either way) does not give enough space to get the new one in without bending it...
i was told this by the dealer that performed a headliner replacement because you could see the edge of the fabric next to the weather strip.
Good LUCK!

R4074

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2014 BMW 328d xDrive Sport Wagon
My headliner was creased durring a warrenty repair and I was wondering if its really worth having them replace it or will they have to tear soo much apart they will cause even more damage . What are the chances of them getting it right ? Do the seats need to come out ? Does the dash need to come apart ? Just really worried about collateral damage in this repair . Thanks guys .
I had mine done recently, they had to remove the driver's door to get the new one in. Also, not sure if your is a 12 or a 13 but mine is a '12 and supposedly the part number has changed and the only headliner available needs to be modified (small cut-out of light or something). Mine had broken clips which I could see using the rear view mirror (slight sagging) that bothered me. The dealer had the car an entire day, it was a big job from what they said, and not a particularly enjoyable one for them.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
How's the new one look ? I wish the dealership would do it but they are making the body shop who damaged it do the replacement. I'm still on the fence about letting them touch my car at all again.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
I had mine done recently, they had to remove the driver's door to get the new one in. Also, not sure if your is a 12 or a 13 but mine is a '12 and supposedly the part number has changed and the only headliner available needs to be modified (small cut-out of light or something). Mine had broken clips which I could see using the rear view mirror (slight sagging) that bothered me. The dealer had the car an entire day, it was a big job from what they said, and not a particularly enjoyable one for them.
Replacement headliners need a hole or two cut if your car has some of the optional lighting, the pre-cut one has never been available as a service part, or so says the dealer's parts guy. We had out headlining replaced for the edge peeking out from the weatherstrip problem. Dealer says they didn't have to take a seat out to do it but then they did leave a tiny mark on it too, fortunately in obscure spot to I felt OK about not making a fuss about it.

Yours
Vern