Head Light Bulb Change

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat 2005 silver Passat Sedan & 2005 Wagon Stone Henge Gray
Well you guys walked me though accessing my way into the back of my Passenger side headlight bulb change out by removing the freaking air filter tubes so I could get my big mits in there to access the bulb.

Now it's the driver's side low beam bulb that has burnt out 4 months later and the access looks even tighter.

Just found out my 6 year old Bently on line Manual does not upgrade or work on my new Windows 7 software. Now next time I buy a Bently I'm not going for the up-dateable or I guess not up-dateable download. I'm going to get the soft cover paper edition. So I'm in the dark in more ways than one on this one.

So what and how do I remove what is necessary to reach the back of my Driver's side headlamp assembly on my 2005 Passat TDI - Tough Tony - ThunderShorts - anyone?

thanks in advance

Blair

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
fyi, bentley runs fine on windows 7 pro under the virtual machine mode

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
Leicaman thanks for the pdf. I would have cracked that plastic shroud covering the steering pump and electrical cluster without it. H7 Bulb is replaced and wife off my case. You saved my a_ _.

Thudershorts, ' virtual machine mode"? Didn't know I had one. I'll ax my buddy the computer fix it guy to show me how that works, but at least you showed me the mechanism to get my investment in Bentley back.

Thudner, I also found an old post where you told a guy with a blown tranny in one of these 05 Passats to get a bench tested rebuild from some place that started with an "E" (?) forgot the name. Your suggestion that he would not pull off a ZF rebuild on his own and without some special tools. Any clue what a rebuilt tranny costs on these cars and the hours to take one out and put one back in? Also is this bench tested rebuild just a replacement of the worn parts or are they including a brand new Torque Converter - valve body ect ....or just sending the TC out to be cleaned out? Just wondering if their rebuild would pull off another 150,000 miles or would a brand new VW tranny be worth the extra $. Then again, does VWNA even provide real off the shelf brand new Tranny replacements or are they also going the rebuild route where the marginally worn components get re-used?

thanks guys

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Hi Blair: Eriksson (near you in CT in Old Saybrook), quoted me somewhere around $2300 for a rebuilt ZF with a torque converter. That was last Spring so I may be off a few $$ but I do know it was less expensive than the $2912 price I got from VW. Here is a link to their site. Nice to hear from you again.;)

http://www.erikssonindustries.com/

Tony

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Leicaman thanks for the pdf. I would have cracked that plastic shroud covering the steering pump and electrical cluster without it. H7 Bulb is replaced and wife off my case. You saved my a_ _.

thanks guys

Blair
That is what we are here for. I had the stealer replace one bulb and that was $25 with the bulb. Being the cheap guy I am, I was determined to learn how to do it myself. That DIY has been a true help to me and I am so glad to hear you did it too by yourself without (most important) wrecking a thing! :) Now pour your self a glass of your favorite beverage and pat yourself on the back.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I got tired of changing these H-7 bulbs and installed a $50 4600W HID kit in the low beam projectors. Works great and much better coverage.;)

tdiblair

Veteran Member
TDI
I got tired of changing these H-7 bulbs and installed a $50 4600W HID kit in the low beam projectors. Works great and much better coverage.;)

Tough Tony,

for $50 I'd be happy for ' more coverage' and I hope a brighter beam, but where do I get a 4600 HID Kit and how much trouble on the install? My glove size is XXL. My big mits don't like changing H-7's.

As to Erikson Tranny Rebuilds - wow - if the same guy- He use to do SAAB transmisisons and his place was near SAAB headquarters up near Orange CT. Think he came out of SAAB back in his youth and when Saab was not in a financial bind . Later he would train dealerships on the rebuild and then he left SAAB and went off on his own. That would be somthing if it is the same guy and I bet it is. Last time he did my piece of crud SAAB was literally 40 years ago. Now I wonder if the real Erikson is still alive or maybe his son or maybe new owners who kept the name Erikison? The Erikison I knew was an adult when I was a kid He'd have to be 80 years old by now.

Blair

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Blair:

I would not recommend you install an HID kit with your mitt size and (possibly) level of experience with these cars. But, our B5.5's were fortunate to come with the projector lens for the low beam. Any shop that installs radios, etc can put one of these in:

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I installed mine with minimal effort, but had read several threads on the procedure first. It's all plug and go, pretty much.