Head gasket leak

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
How can I confirm a head gasket leak? I was told I needed new one at the cost of almost 1,000. From what I can tell their is not any oil sprayed around the engine. I don't want to get ripped off.

Thanks.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
That seems excessive. Dealer price?

What are the symptoms? Water in oil? Oil in water? Overpressurizing the coolant reservoir? Coolant use?

Some of these can be caused by a failed EGR cooler.

I have applied about 150 psi to the plug hole with the piston at TDC and looked for evidence of leakage at the coolant reservoir. Needs to be in 5th with the wheels chocked or the crank locked on an auto.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Pmich you are asking for help please indicate your location. It is a discourtesy to the members that are trying to help you.

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
Sorry, I had to run to work..

I'm located in Aurora,IL

This was a local VW shop (not a Dealer) that gave me that price.

They said their was oil on the rear of the cilinder head. However, I don't see much of anything like that. some staining-Dirt???? This is on my 2005 b 5.5 wagon.

pm

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
There is a tandem pump with a fuel transfer pump and vacuum pump together and both have oil in them. If I recall correctly, there is no oil passage on the back side of the head.

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
I'm thinking of siting on it and watching oil consumption over the next week or so. Plus if it were leaking, wouldn't oil be all over the place? All anti freeze in fine.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Lots of engines have some oil slime in various places, no big deal there. If it is leaving puddles on the pavement, then time to go further.

Any other symptoms beyond slime?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Oh, one of those engines. Can anyone comment on 1k for that head gasket?

I'd still suspect the valve cover, CCV system, EGR vent (?) and tandem pump long before the head gasket.

hotshot

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta
im not even and expert but iknow enuf to know that head gasket for an oil leak is stupid. not saying it couldnt happen but there are so many other things before that. Also, head gasket would mean that water is getting in oil or oil in water and running hot and all that. I just put a head on my car and if i recall correctly, the only oil that the head see is all coming in above the head gasket.

now to the price, Im not sure what the book calls for on that but 1k for a head gasket sounds like robbery. the head is not that hard to R & R

pmich

TDI
2002 golf tdi
No other symptoms that I can see now, bot I'm going to keep my eye on it for the next few days.

That price included the intake gasket, exhaust gasket, camshaft oil seal, head gasket , valve cover set, and new head bolts. That's about 137.48 in parts. The rest was labor.

If worse comes to worse, is it difficult to do on your own? I do my own breaks and general maintenance, but the big stuff scares me.

pm

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I would definitely go for a second opinion, there's probably a forum-recommended guru near you. General VW mechanics mis-diagnose these cars all the time. Probably one of the biggest factors in TDI happiness or misery is finding someone who actually knows how to work them.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Mitchell calls for 6.0 hrs to do the head gasket. So that comes to over $130 per hour.

I also question all of those parts other than the head gasket and head bolts.

What I'm saying that you need to beware of this mechanic for many reasons.