Hawaiian 2004 Jetta BEW

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
Spent the afternoon yesterday pulling the front end out of a TT225. Managed to score everything I was looking for including the hard to find cross brace and NLA steering rack heat shield! Also snagged the quick rack and subframe. Whichever subframe is cleaner will go back on my Jetta. Need to find a press to do the front hubs and bearings, but I'm stoked!

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
On the mainland for a couple weeks, but snagged some goodies from my parts stash and friends including a Neuspeed intake, Darkside Developments Intake Pipe, and maint stuff.

Took my 2.0 out for a drive and show as well

Phase II the electric boogaloo is in its infancy right now. A box of powerflex goodies is also waiting for me in HI. Since I'll be taking the subframe out to install the TT rack I figure that's my best time to do a turbo and downpipe. If the turbo is out then I may as well do a timing belt. If I'm doing a timing belt I may as well do a camshaft. So on and so forth. Welcome to one of my rabbit hole "builds."

Plans thus far:
Colt Stage II Cam (possibly stage III since I like to party, but I'd want a spare cylinder head)
PD150 Injectors/Nozzles (likely larger)
XMAN VNT 1756
2.5" turboback

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
Knocked out my TT knuckle swap this afternoon and installed PowerFlex black series upper strut mounts. The combination raised the front of the car about an inch. I need to find some 450-500lb linear coil springs that fit the struts to stiffen it some more, but it's currently a great compromise for a daily driver. It handles great, but will be even better after another alignment. Auto-X in the AM!

Last edited:

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
My best run of the day; 85.029 with no penalties. The best raw time of the day was a C7 GS at 80.XXX. Installing the TT/R32 knuckles last minute definitely paid off. I'm still hiking a rear wheel, but it's definitely improved. The 09A wasn't downshifting into first the couple times I needed/wanted it to, but otherwise the car ran great and consistent! Hoping to get my TT front sway bar and quick rack installed before the next event in November!

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
My best run of the day; 85.029 with no penalties. The best raw time of the day was a C7 GS at 80.XXX. Installing the TT/R32 knuckles last minute definitely paid off. I'm still hiking a rear wheel, but it's definitely improved. The 09A wasn't downshifting into first the couple times I needed/wanted it to, but otherwise the car ran great and consistent! Hoping to get my TT front sway bar and quick rack installed before the next event in November!
Mmm tire squeals... 😂

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
TT front end is in! The fluid that came out of the power steering system was nasty and likely original. I'll flush it again after the car is aligned. Ran into an issue with the TT sway bar bushings. I bought Powerflex bushings for a 20mm bar, but the plastic the bushings are supposed to wrap around measure just over 22mm so the bushings don't fit. I sent an email asking powerflex what to do. Otherwise the biggest hurdle was the power steering return line. I didn't realize how different the design was compared to my 2.0 car. I ended up using the OEM TDI steering rack heat shield with a little massaging and two washers behind the power steering hard line mount to space it away from the TT rack hard line.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Ran into an issue with the TT sway bar bushings. I bought Powerflex bushings for a 20mm bar, but the plastic the bushings are supposed to wrap around measure just over 22mm so the bushings don't fit. I sent an email asking powerflex what to do.
Do the bushings fit around the bar pretty well without the plastic? Iirc I ditched the plastic and just used a lot of grease and been fine for 20k

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
I can't remove the plastic on this sway bar or it will be able to shift side to side. The plastic bushings also act as a centering shim. Powerflex is going to help me figure out which poly bushing I need! I plan to run H&R FWD 8N TT bars before too long, but the OEM bushings are 20 years old.

Knocked out the thermostat and temperature sensor today. Both fans finally operate as expected and my temps no longer drop off when coasting downhill! Castrol 5w40 505.01 oil, Mann oil filter and Mann fuel filter get here Tuesday then all my projects will be done for a while!

Took a drive from sea level to 9000 feet then back down for my shakedown. Everything feels great!

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
Last month on the way to Kona the fan stopped working on level 1-3 and ac stopped working on step 4. The fan would however operate on step 4.

I knew the likely culprit was the resistor, but I felt like Indiana Jones when I found it today!

Since the dash was mostly apart I decided to tackle the blend doors. It appears someone has been exploring under the dash before. The glovebox is a 2000 date code small box with junkyard lettering, and the harness was cut for the light with the original big box light tucked behind it. The blend door diaphragm has what appears to be 3M foam tape on it that made it a bear to take off. The amount of broken plastic and trim I've found has been hugely disappointing. If I was on the mainland I'd be doing a black interior swap while I'm here.

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
Got the doors all taped up last week, been working a new schedule and without shop lights haven't been able to work after dusk. Started reassembly today. When installing the HVAC box I accidentally punctured the tape on the front door so I had to redo that again, but otherwise it's been smooth sailing knock on wood.

I've had a slight vacuum leak since I've purchased the car and the brake pedal has always felt "funny." I finally found the culprit while replacing vacuum lines. Somehow the brake booster was installed upside down when it was replaced! So before I close the dash up I'll be fixing that!

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
If I end up keeping the car long term it will be getting a DSG swap. Manuals are fun, but for what I'm doing with the car a DQ250 makes a lot more sense.

The radio is a Chinese Market OEM RCN210 with an adapter harness for the monsoon style radio. It works well but only has two brightness settings based on the headlight switch. The dim brightness is still overly bright in my opinion. I would ideally like to find one if the Brazil OEM single din Bluetooth units so I could use the traditional dash tray/pocket or gauge panel. The knobs are UroTuning billet Mk6 style.

Got the booster flipped around. No more hissing and the car stops great. Pedal has super short travel and feels like I'm pushing against a concrete wall. I'm not sure if that's complacency bias from the poor vacuum assist before or a bad line somewhere still. I have a new Vaico vacuum line to install, but am waiting for the booster grommet to arrive before I swap the hose. 5mm vacuum line gets here this week as well then everything will be finished in the engine bay! Now to tidy up my temporary boost gauge install, and clean then reinstall the lower dash and center console!

Poor thing needs a wash!

Blade3562

TDI
'15 Golf, '17 GSW
TDI is mostly back together aside from a few interior trim pieces that need replaced. I need to borrow a vaccuum gauge to test leak downs on everything. I believe I have a small leak somehwere I just haven't found. I have great brakes most of the time, but occasionally have a super stiff pedal.

Little BEW did greats at autocross today. I was in a battle of the ages with the steering wheel/column for most of the day. There were some really tight corners in quick succession. The noise you hear in the video is the steering wheel/rack. I think I'm going to need some sort of seat and steering wheel if I keep autocrossing this thing. My entire body is sore from trying to stay in one place lol. Even with the 09A limitations I still had an absolute blast!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
One of my favourite upgrades are the high bolster sport seats. The squared off bolsters are a wee bit narrower than the earlier rounded ones. *MOST comfy... :) Not R32, but not a Cleveland+ hit to the entertainment budget either...LOL The GLI/GTI Recaro are slightly better, but their foam always seems to be in quite poor condition...unless you're spending towards the R32 level.

Douglas